Homemade Backpack

Posted by: finallyME

Homemade Backpack - 07/25/12 09:21 AM

This is definitely on the heavy side. I guess it kinda goes along with McHale's philosophy. And it is not even done yet. I have finished the suspension, but still need to finish the bag. Still thinking about that one. Anyways, here is the long, boring video that shows my steps. I guess you can call it a tutorial. My goal is a total pack weight under 3 lbs. So far the suspension and frame are at 2.47 lbs. The metal frame is at .88 lbs, the shoulder straps are at .566 lbs, and the hip belt is 1.01 lbs.

Homemade Backpack

Posted by: PerryMK

Re: Homemade Backpack - 07/25/12 12:56 PM

Interesting. The metal frame sort of looks like a sawed off Kelty or Camp Trails. Did you make it also? What are its dimensions?

Re: Homemade Backpack - 07/25/12 03:11 PM

I bought the frame for $3 at a thrift store. I believe it was an old kelty or camp trails or similar. I just cut off the top and painted it.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Homemade Backpack - 07/25/12 03:25 PM

Nice!!!

Looks comfy, that's for sure.

You could always try a couple feed sacks for your bag wink

Re: Homemade Backpack - 07/26/12 11:24 AM

I might end up trying that out. I am still debating with myself on what to do with the bags. Do it get one big bag, or two smaller ones. I kinda want one to double as a day bag. But, I like the simpleness of one big bag, and the weight.
Posted by: Steadman

Re: Homemade Backpack - 08/04/12 10:06 PM

Very cool. You've given me some ideas. I don't have a workable prototype yet to share.
Posted by: wrench

Re: Homemade Backpack - 08/07/12 05:57 PM

Years ago I took an onion sack and put shoulder straps and a waist belt. I worked well.
Keith
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Homemade Backpack - 08/07/12 10:42 PM

I really liked my "Feed Sack Pack". I might make another just to have a spare around.

If I do, I'm going to modify a frame like this one. That looks a lot more comfy than what I had, which really wasn't all that bad, but the shoulder straps did get to biting pretty hard with load over 30lbs.

Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Homemade Backpack - 08/08/12 01:08 AM

I made a pack out of plastic bags from the grocery store. cool It has two bags on the back, and two on the front and maybe a few for shoulder straps and tying it all together, maybe 7 bags, maybe 4, haven't looked at it in a while and of course I've never used it, but it weighs 2-3 ounces and cost nothing. Think how much gear you can carry in 4 plastic grocery bags, and you can get them on the way to the trailhead. goodjob
Jim grin

Re: Homemade Backpack - 08/08/12 09:45 AM

Originally Posted By billstephenson
I really liked my "Feed Sack Pack". I might make another just to have a spare around.

If I do, I'm going to modify a frame like this one. That looks a lot more comfy than what I had, which really wasn't all that bad, but the shoulder straps did get to biting pretty hard with load over 30lbs.

Well, these shoulder straps weren't all that comfy around the 60-70 lb range. They worked great in the 30-40 lb range though. Next time I carry that much weight, I will just use my $15 MOLLE shoulder straps. They were designed to carry heavy loads.