Free material make your own gear

Posted by: twistplank

Free material make your own gear - 03/07/12 10:26 AM

As an outdoor education school we go through lots of nylon, tents, duffles and other gear that no longer is useful for us. I am looking for an outlet for these items either as a recycler or re-designer. I am tired of seeing this stuff go to the landfill.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Posted by: Gershon

Re: Free material make your own gear - 03/07/12 11:57 AM

Where are you located?
Posted by: caribstv

Re: Free material make your own gear - 03/07/12 04:16 PM

whats the best way to get in touch with you?
Posted by: Cole Pendell

Re: Free material make your own gear - 03/07/12 09:34 PM

I would be happy to pay shipping for some of these items you mention. where are you located?

Re: Free material make your own gear - 03/08/12 12:07 PM

We are based in Wyoming but have branches all over the country for now keep posts here, I will try to keep an eye on the forum. I am in the discovery stages right now, I will have to check with some people to see what we have available for discard.
Posted by: 4og

Re: Free material make your own gear - 03/13/12 10:17 PM

I would be interested in getting some used gear/scraps as well. Let me know whats up with that when you find out.
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Free material make your own gear - 03/14/12 04:11 PM

How about donation to church groups who service the homeless?

There is a francise called "Play it Again Sports" that deals in second hand sports gear. You may give them a call.
Posted by: anicinabe

Re: Free material make your own gear - 03/15/12 11:32 PM

I'm sure a lot of us would appreciate the chance to have some used worn out gear to try to come up with some workable light weight ideas. I know I for one would love the chance..
Posted by: Mike Scott

Re: Free material make your own gear - 04/09/12 11:19 AM

Hey awesome. I am an industrial design student doing my final thesis project on lightweight backpack/tent integration. I could use some old gear to re-hack into prototypes. I have all summer to play in the woods! let me know what could work.
Thanks!
Posted by: wynts

Re: Free material make your own gear - 05/08/12 10:42 PM

twistplank, your offer is very generous. As an American who is in Japan, I am wondering if I were to pay the international shipping for some items if you would be willing? I am a designer who is interested in remaking survival and emergency gear which will be used in training and donated for rescue and aid projects wherever the need arises.

I know this thread is over a month old, but hopefully I am not to late.

Re: Free material make your own gear - 06/05/12 04:22 PM

Ok, thanks everyone for responding, I have lots of tents to go they are Pingora tent by Bridge Outdoors
bridgeoutdoors.com
they are all missing the center pole and tiedown stakes,they are free to any one who wants them I have probably around 100 give or take. International orders, we will need to work out some kind of shipping payment. Any one who wants them give me numbers and contact info. Things happen slowly around here so be patient as this is not my primary job, but I am motivated to send them off.
thank you
Posted by: sfdude

Re: Free material make your own gear - 06/16/12 12:02 PM

TwitstPlank,

Do you still have tents available and how would I get one?

SFdude
Posted by: tTotalProvidence

Re: Free material make your own gear - 06/16/12 11:58 PM

Twist,

I'd love one or two of these tents to fix / modify. They'd be put to good use, trust me! thanks

Re: Free material make your own gear - 06/18/12 02:55 PM

you can have as many as you want just let me know, I will charge for shipping only
tom_sweet@nols.edu
Posted by: Cranman

Re: Free material make your own gear - 06/20/12 01:12 PM

I talked to Tom (Twistplank) earlier today and he's sending me a couple tents, I should be able to get some good material from them and possibly use one as a tent...anyways Tom was a super nice guy and has lots more of these he's like to send out to avoid sending 100+ tents to a landfill. He said most if not all of the tents have the rain fly as well.
Posted by: phat

Re: Free material make your own gear - 06/20/12 09:54 PM

I might be interested in a few too.. I seem to always be scrounging for larger tents when I end up with big herds of newbies to take out.. which seems to be happening more and more.. a good thing.
Posted by: sfdude

Re: Free material make your own gear - 06/21/12 07:37 PM

I just got two tents from Tom. All I can say is wow. they are in great shape and very light compared to similar sized tents. Stakes and a Pole (trekking Poles?)should be light and easy to get.

Thanks Tom.

Paul
Posted by: mimstrel

Re: Free material make your own gear - 08/25/12 03:17 PM

I know this topic is a couple of month's old, but I was wondering if any tents are still available? I'm always looking for things I can recycle and use!
Posted by: Cranman

Re: Free material make your own gear - 08/29/12 07:32 PM

I got a few tents from Tom recently, some of them looked pretty new and we used one on a family trip last weekend. I think Tom's e-mail was in a earlier post.