Got the hots to make another quilt...so....

Posted by: Dryer

Got the hots to make another quilt...so.... - 12/29/11 09:35 AM

.....anybody make a RayWay Quilt lately? I read through Jardine's 20 pages of quilt talk and was stumped by Ray's distaste for down. In fact, some his reasoning doesn't seem quite right with respect to down vs. synthetic losing its loft over time, and crush-ability. I like his kits and ideas but the insulation is a head scratcher? All my current bags/quilts are down but I though I'd give newer synthetics a try. Thoughts?

Any other quilt kits/plans out there I should consider?
Posted by: intrek38

Re: Got the hots to make another quilt...so.... - 12/29/11 10:17 AM

Sorry, not to get off track, but I can't help it..

Maybe on one of Rays many ventures into the wilderness, he chose to make camp one evening a on a small flat spot 100 feet uphill from a river. Now it wasn't raining this particular evening and without threat of rain, he just layed out his handmade down filled quilt on a tarp on this small spot. As he was relaxing to the sounds of the river next to a small fire a little ways from his small spot, a random gust of wind blew his handmade down filled quilt up into the air and into the river right before his eyes in the fire light. Now it was a little chilly out that moonless night and even though Ray was able to retrieve his handmade down filled quilt in pitch darkness a few hundred yards down the river on the steep rocky banks, it was as soaked as a handmade down filled quilt could be. He rung it out the best he could and let it sit by the fire but the down clumped up and his handmade down filled quilt would never be the same. Fortunatly for Ray he had a nice fire to help keep him warm throughout the night but he learned a valuable lesson that night. Never Ever leave your quilt out in the open without putting a rock on it, cause you never know what natures gonna throw at you.. The End..
Posted by: intrek38

Re: Got the hots to make another quilt...so.... - 12/29/11 10:22 AM

Sorry for that, maybe it's just that time of year. After browsing though his site, I came across his real story and I guess I wasn't to far off. Page 17 explains it..
http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Quilt-Kit/index.htm

Thanks for bringing this up Dryer..

Re: Got the hots to make another quilt...so.... - 12/29/11 11:43 AM

intrek38, are you sure you aren't Ray's ghost writer? grin Like I said....I read through his 20 pages of why synthetics are better than down, including the part where you hang your new quilt and in a few MONTHS it will spring back into it's original fluffiness. My favorite down bag/quilt is 28 years old and is as lofty as new in minutes, not months. And, my crummy old Coleman loaner synthetic bags...probably over 30 years old, are still just fine.
After reading a few reviews of Ray's quilt, I'll probably stick with down. I've NEVER had a wet bag in 40+ years...but who knows, maybe I'll get dumped from my kayak and 'learn'.
The weight of Ray's quilts are impressive but the compressibility isn't.

Ok, so anybody know of good down quilt kits??
Posted by: oldranger

Re: Got the hots to make another quilt...so.... - 12/29/11 03:31 PM

Interesting that he mentions Holubar bags. I have a Holubar double bag, vintage 1962, extensively used, that is still a very fine bag.

I have fond memories of my first mountaineering trip to Colorado, when we stopped at the Holubars and stayed overnight in their basement. I bought one of their shell parkas which was about the first quality gear items I ever purchased.

Sounds like Jardine needed a better tent
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Got the hots to make another quilt...so.... - 12/31/11 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By intrek38
handmade down filled quilt

Say that 10 times fast. smile
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Got the hots to make another quilt...so.... - 12/31/11 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By Dryer

Ok, so anybody know of good down quilt kits??

I have seen the one that Thru-hiker sells. I haven't tried it though. It is the same pattern as the one that this site has in the DIY instructions page.

thru hiker quilt kit

Re: Got the hots to make another quilt...so.... - 12/31/11 03:04 PM

Yeah, I looked at that one and trust them but the "adventure" of building the thing looks daunting, when you get to the stuffing process. Jacks R' Better quilts look like a similar design.
Posted by: Chad from WV

Re: Got the hots to make another quilt...so.... - 01/01/12 01:39 AM

Another reasonably priced option perhaps...

http://enlightenedequipment.com/quilts.html

Personally, I am thinking hard about getting a kit from Ray. I think it looks easier to make for a first timer and not sure I trust myself yet with down. And the price is hard to beat.

Re: Got the hots to make another quilt...so.... - 01/01/12 09:38 AM

Interesting....I hadn't seen Enlightened products before.

The ONLY problem I have with Rays quilt is it's bulk size. They don't crunch down small enough, which is the #1 complaint in the reviews. And, after 30+ years of owning down equipment, I can't say I've shared Ray's experiences with down. Exactly the opposite, actually.
So, I'm leaning towards down at this point.
Posted by: Chad from WV

Re: Got the hots to make another quilt...so.... - 01/01/12 12:07 PM

Yeah...I want to try down at some point but right I can't afford to buy a bag/quilt and making one while probably not super hard, does look a bit more involved than the Ray's quilt. I want to take baby steps...lol...besides, even Ray's quilt will be quite a bit lighter and pack smaller than my Big Agnes bag.

The Enlightened stuff gets good marks over at the BackpackingLight forums.
Posted by: mtnbob

Re: Got the hots to make another quilt...so.... - 01/01/12 10:00 PM

I'm waiting on a down quilt from Enlightened Equipment. I'll let you know how it is after I put it through it's paces.
Posted by: mtnbob

Re: Got the hots to make another quilt...so.... - 01/30/12 09:09 PM

BTW I got my quilt from Enlightened, and it is very nice!!!!
Posted by: Kent W

Re: Got the hots to make another quilt...so.... - 02/03/12 09:27 AM

Folks I came across these quilt instructions on the Hammock fourum. These are the best instructions I have found on making a down quilt. I may give it a go!
http://www.tothewoods.net/RedRiverGorgeQuilt/RedRiverGorgeQuilt.html

Re: Got the hots to make another quilt...so.... - 02/03/12 09:40 AM

Wow....he covers ever step!
Posted by: Kent W

Re: Got the hots to make another quilt...so.... - 02/03/12 03:57 PM

Dreyer not only that but his link to feather industries in Canada! Just got there down price list and fill ratings! Wow is all I can say! Makes it afordable! You have to bye a min of two pounds, but can bye it so reasonable. Drop them a email at
info@featherind.com They will send you pdf price sheet and also down fill loft ,IE 750 or 800 etc. If I could attach my copy here I would!