Sewing machine foot pedal extender

Posted by: DJ2

Sewing machine foot pedal extender - 11/28/11 01:50 PM

I recently placed my sewing machine on a 42" table so I could try sewing while standing up.

Problem.....foot pedal wouldn't reach the floor.

Solution:

foot pedal photos

The attractive yellow thing is 2" wide tubular polypro Webbing. Webbing is screwed to shelf behind the foot pedal. A flat stick is inserted into Webbing on the floor and elevated for use as a pedal. A binder clip on the floor end of the Webbing allows me to adjust the inserted flat stick.

Device is easier to use than the actual foot pedal.

Posted by: finallyME

Re: Sewing machine foot pedal extender - 11/28/11 04:53 PM

That is pretty cool. I would have just spliced into the power cord. Just goes to show that there isn't one solution to every problem.

Re: Sewing machine foot pedal extender - 11/28/11 05:01 PM

finallyME,

Thanks for the suggestion. If I like using the machine at this elvation I'll probalby splice the cord.

dj2
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Sewing machine foot pedal extender - 11/28/11 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By DJ2
finallyME,

Thanks for the suggestion. If I like using the machine at this elvation I'll probalby splice the cord.

dj2

Yeah, but you said that it is easier to use with the webbing. If you splice the cord, then it will work the same way it always had. But with the webbing, it works better. Personally, I would go with the "better". laugh

Re: Sewing machine foot pedal extender - 11/28/11 10:18 PM

finallyME,

I got the same advice on Kitebuilder where I posted this idea. Do you also post there?

I've learned from all of this that laying (perhaps taping) a flat stick on the foot pedal makes it easier to operate for me. The incline on the actual foot pedal is too steep for my comfort. A foot long stick layed upon the foot pedal decreases the incline.

dj2
Posted by: frenchie

Re: Sewing machine foot pedal extender - 11/30/11 09:59 AM

What is the advantage of sewing standing up? Not having to get up every couple of minutes to check things, or what?
That's fine with small stuff, but large pieces of fabric are more efficiently managed on a low, wide, flat surface.
This I'm personally more comfortable sewing on the floor or a low table...sitting cross legged, and powering the pedal with one knee is OK...

Re: Sewing machine foot pedal extender - 11/30/11 11:47 AM

frenchie,

I don't know if there are any advantages to this. It is just an experiment.

I did read that sitting for long periods is not healthy, however and, so far, it just feels better to sew while standing up.

Time will tell.

I'm envious of your flexibility. There is no way I can sit on the floor comfortably, let alone operate a sewing machine. Both of my arms would be needed to prop me up and forget about crossing my legs.

Daryl
Posted by: frenchie

Re: Sewing machine foot pedal extender - 12/01/11 12:03 PM

Believe me, sitting on the floor for hours sewing is no healthier than on a chair smile...Bad on my oldish hips.
I just have a lot more working space.
Working space becomes a much bigger mess, too...