source for stainless stoves and pots

Posted by: anicinabe

source for stainless stoves and pots - 11/06/11 10:30 PM

I found, in the pet section of some stores, stainless pet water bowls of various sizes that will make perfect cookwear and stoves. Just one more place for DIY gear
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: source for stainless stoves and pots - 11/07/11 09:21 AM

This is another example of "thinking outside the box." For backpacking, I usually carry a 12 oz Vienna sausage can as a pot/cup. The last time I flew somewhere to camp, I brought one light frying pan and a large but light-for-its-size stainless steel mixing/salad bowl. The bowl was perfect for heating water, cooking stir-fry and other one-pot meals, steaming muffins, etc., serving food, and a dishpan. I probably could have gotten by without the frying pan, but there was room for it and I didn't have to carry it past the picnic table.

CamperMom
Posted by: ppine

Re: source for stainless stoves and pots - 11/07/11 11:28 AM

CamperMom,

Good observations. Since the invention of tin cans, they have been used for camping. Add a wire bail and you don't need a pot lifter. People used to be conversant in the sizes, ie a no. 5, or no. 2.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: source for stainless stoves and pots - 11/08/11 03:32 PM

Unfortunately, these days "tin" (now steel or aluminum, not tin) cans are all lined with plastic--the kind which contains PBA. I sure wouldn't want to cook in one!