Thrift store cookpot find

Posted by: billstephenson

Thrift store cookpot find - 11/06/11 09:28 PM

I've been looking online and scrounging thrift stores for a smaller, lighter, cookpot the past month or so that was also cheap blush

I almost ordered a 1qt grease pot online, but I found one in a store and it was really quite a bit bigger than I wanted, so I'm glad I didn't.

I finally found one today that I think should work perfect. It's a very small, old aluminum coffee pot. I took out the basket for the grounds and the replaced the glass perk bulb on the lid with a cork.

I had to pay $8 for it because I actually found it in an antique store and the owner was pretty proud of it, but that's still not too bad, and it will save me both the space and weight I was hoping for.

Should work perfect with the SuperCat stove, and if the handle melts I'll remove it too and fashion one out of some welding rod laugh

Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Thrift store cookpot find - 11/06/11 10:59 PM

It's alomost perfect. It would be perfect if you got it for fifty cents! Grin.

One suggestion--the cork you have in their is an agglomerated cork---composed of cork particles and glue. They do tend to fall apart after years of use. You might look at replacing it with a solid cork.

But those come in more expensive bottles! hee hee.

Re: Thrift store cookpot find - 11/06/11 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By balzaccom
It's alomost perfect. It would be perfect if you got it for fifty cents! Grin.

One suggestion--the cork you have in their is an agglomerated cork---composed of cork particles and glue. They do tend to fall apart after years of use. You might look at replacing it with a solid cork.

But those come in more expensive bottles! hee hee.

I have to stop hanging out with those box buyers, I thought that was the "Good Stuff"! laugh
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Thrift store cookpot find - 11/06/11 11:23 PM

At any rate, it was a clever idea to use cork. The stuff is very tough, and simply DOES NOT transfer heat at all. A perfect handle for that pot top!
Posted by: Kent W

Re: Thrift store cookpot find - 11/07/11 06:55 AM

I have used a grease can from wally world for 2 years now. Steep and Cheap just had 1100 ml Backcountry titanium sets on sale for 26.00 I have one on the way! I hope I like it?

Re: Thrift store cookpot find - 11/07/11 11:34 AM

I appreciate the tip, and that explains, I think, the corks I've seen sort of crumble into little pieces when they were pulled from a bottle.

The one in there is one I scrounged somewhere. I have some others I bought from a craft store too, and compared them, but I don't see much difference except the craft store cork has voids in the sides, whereas the scrounged cork looks very smooth. Both have very smooth tops and bottoms, with no voids.

Posted by: BZH

Re: Thrift store cookpot find - 11/07/11 02:00 PM

did you tell the shop owner of your plans to destroy her precious antique?

Re: Thrift store cookpot find - 11/07/11 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By BZH
did you tell the shop owner of your plans to destroy her precious antique?

Yes, she didn't seem to mind a bit either. She had it marked at $20 and haggled herself down to $8, so I didn't say anything more, I just paid her price smile