Finding buckles and strapping

Posted by: cilla

Finding buckles and strapping - 08/11/11 10:13 PM

It has been awhile since I needed to make anything. I can't even remember where I used to purchase stuff. I am looking for fastax buckles 3/4 inch and the flat webbing that goes with it.

I have found several sources of these buckles, but no source of the flat nylon webbing which must be either 3/4 inch or 1/2 inch which would go with the buckles. I want to modify my son's backpack to put a strap across the chest.

I just need the side closure buckles, some ladderlocs, but where does one buy the nylon strapping which goes with the buckles?
Posted by: FredMT

Re: Finding buckles and strapping - 08/12/11 04:04 AM

Grossgrain (maybe spelled wrong) from your local fabric store is just great for that. Just make sure the buckle works with this very light webbing.
Posted by: james__12345

Re: Finding buckles and strapping - 08/12/11 10:20 AM

I ordered my tent kit from http://www.questoutfitters.com/

They also carry a large assortment of the hardware you are looking for. They also have several different webbing options. They have a soft and firm gossgrain, as well as a couple different types of nylon webbing. I highly recomend them.

Depending on the width of the webbing on his straps, they also have a special piece for attaching sternum straps to packs that you may want to look at. I would also look at their whistle buckle. It has a built in whistle that is louder than any whistle I've ever heard.
Posted by: Paul

Re: Finding buckles and strapping - 08/13/11 12:02 AM

another good source: http://owfinc.com/
Posted by: cilla

Re: Finding buckles and strapping - 08/13/11 08:30 PM

Thank you all for the replies, I will check it out and get started before school starts.

cilla
Posted by: JPete

Re: Finding buckles and strapping - 08/13/11 08:48 PM

Seattle fabrics seattlefabrics.com They have a very extensive supply of hardware and webbing. Best place I have found. Best, jcp
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Finding buckles and strapping - 08/19/11 11:33 AM

You can try this place.
Strapworks
Also, REI sells stuff by the foot. I bought some 3/4 webbing from them, as well as buckles and ladderlocks.

Another source is old backpacks. If I have a pack or bag that I don't want to keep, I usually cut off all the hardware and maybe some strapping and keep those for the odd project later on. You can also try going to a thrift store and buying an old pack or something else that has the buckles you need.