Adding a tent door

Posted by: Jim.Montana

Adding a tent door - 05/12/11 12:17 PM

Newbie here - I've searched but haven't seen any discussion on adding doors and windows to tents. Our tent fits our needs perfectly with one exception - it needs a second door. The pros want $400 to add a door. Seems that there might be kits or instructions out there for DIY. Any suggestions?
Posted by: james__12345

Re: Adding a tent door - 05/12/11 12:30 PM

I dont know that I really have an answer for you, but I have a feeling that question cant be answered by anyone until we know what tent it is. Pictures of where you want the door to go would probably help too.

Re: Adding a tent door - 05/12/11 05:46 PM

Thanks for the posting advice James. Tent is the REI Arete ASL 2, pictured at REI ASL 2 Tent . Choose the 360 view to see the back of the tent, which is where we would place the second door. The tent is to be used on a camp cruising sailboat, and the rear door is needed to allow access forward to tend the anchor. Nothing fancy needed, just structurally sound and decent looking.
Posted by: james__12345

Re: Adding a tent door - 05/12/11 09:53 PM

I'm just now getting started on my quest bilgy tent. As I get a little further into this project I may have an idea or two, but I don't wanna make any suggestions until I get a little more experience working with stuff like this. I'm sure some others here will have some input though.
Posted by: Bill P

Re: Adding a tent door - 05/13/11 12:23 AM

Hi Jim,

$400 seems bit high. I've put additional zips into tents, but they have been cheap tents. Its pretty straighforward, the width of the zip gives you enough material to make a hemmed edge, and you'd need to add a weather flap.

I'd probably get another quote, thats a nice tent you have. Bill P

Re: Adding a tent door - 05/14/11 01:11 AM

Bill - we were hoping for a prefab integrated screen door thing. Baring that, we'll probably do as you did - sew in a couple of zippers, and it should work just fine. Have you ever tried the waterproof zippers, to do without the weather flap?