What are your favorite colors?

Posted by: TheNewGuy

What are your favorite colors? - 05/07/11 11:00 AM

I'm thinking about colors for designing my next project, and was curious about what options are out there. I want it to look good.

I've always liked Forest Green combined with Black, but there's got to be something else out there.

So .. what are your favorite colors for tarps?
Stuff sacks?
Sleeping bags?
Packs?
Others?

Any pics of items with good colors or color combinations would be really good too.

Thanks!!
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: What are your favorite colors? - 05/07/11 11:21 AM

Really?

It may not be very feminine of me, but I don't much worry about colors for gear. For clothes, I lean towards black, because it doesn't show dirt or stains easily and for modesty. Other colors are more see-through. My pack is the color it came in, the manufactuer's choice. Most of my stuff sacks are grey, because I got a deal on a bunch of grey silnylon. If I want to tell them a part easily, I use a different color drawstring. The one color I did go in search of was orange for my pack cover. I can use it for visiblilty in an emergency. Otherwise, I prefer to blend in.

YMMV.

CamperMom
Posted by: Pika

Re: What are your favorite colors? - 05/07/11 11:29 AM

For me, color is pretty well down on the list of criteria when I am planning a project; function is my main criterion, not fashion. I do prefer muted, more natural, colors but will, on occasion, use a bright blue. I never take the trouble to combine colors in a garment. I avoid the brighter colors probably because my peacock genes have faded as I aged.

For things like stuff- and stow-sacks I use whatever scraps I have on hand. I use a lot of bags to keep my pack contents organized so I like to use different colors to identify bag contents.

Also, I think that you will find that the selection of colors available in lightweight fabrics will be pretty limited. This will likely further limit any fashion statements that you might be hoping to make.

Posted by: oldranger

Re: What are your favorite colors? - 05/07/11 04:46 PM

I don't obsess about color either, although I do have a tendency to favor red. It is a well known fact that red bicycles are significantly fast er than other colors. There is much to be said for colors that blend in, especially when others are around.

On the other hand, it is a good idea to have something that is nice and bright, like CM's pack cover. There is a time and place for bright colors. I have spent way too much time looking for lost souls dressed only in muted shades of green and gray...
Posted by: NYbackpacker

Re: What are your favorite colors? - 05/08/11 12:01 AM

maybe its me just being a teenager but my favorite color has always been orange. My pack is orange as well as my rain jacket and some bandanas etc., at the same time though i love forest green when im feeling more err, subtle smile
Posted by: lori

Re: What are your favorite colors? - 05/08/11 07:37 PM

My favorite colors are the one with the lowest price tags and good functionality.

That would be the reason I am styling down the trail in pink or neon blue shirts, olive nylon pants, yellow trail shoes...
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: What are your favorite colors? - 05/09/11 12:06 PM

My favorite colors are anything on sale! I look like some colorblind person walking down the trail. Nothing matches. I do prefer white or light tan shirts, since I have read that bright colors attract mosquitoes and bees.

As my eyes grow older and I get more forgetful, I purposely buy small items that easily get lost in the brightest colors possible. Stuff sacks, that easily blow away, are now all bright orange or yellow. I have a bright yellow bivy sack - consider it a good emergency flag. When I go alone, I always carry at least one item in a bright color for emergency signaling. My florescent orage bike wind shirt is my favorite.
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: What are your favorite colors? - 05/09/11 12:15 PM

Here are photos of my favorite shirt and bivy. It is obvious how visible they are.

Posted by: finallyME

Re: What are your favorite colors? - 05/09/11 12:53 PM

I like my tarp to be more natural, even camouflage. But, if I see ripstop nylon at the store for real cheap, the color is negligible.

I also like bright colors for some items. I set up my tarp once with camouflage line, and tripped all over it. I use bright yellow line now.
Posted by: oldranger

Re: What are your favorite colors? - 05/09/11 03:45 PM

Coming from a SAR background, I totally despise camo! I would also point out that bright colors attract hummingbirds, at least on Mogollon Baldy in the Gila Wilderness (red socks).
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: What are your favorite colors? - 05/10/11 01:28 PM

First and foremost, whatever is on sale because it's usually what no one else wants. Fine for me.

Given a choice, I like a brightly colored shelter so I can find it and because it looks more cheerful inside. I try to avoid the paramilitary look. I get enough of that at work.

For clothing, light colors to reflect the sun in the summer, dark colors to absorb the sun in the winter.

I like black for a sleeping bag because it seems to absorb heat and dry out faster in the sun. No science behind this, just my observation.