DIY Wood Burning Stove with chimney

Posted by: Franco

DIY Wood Burning Stove with chimney - 03/20/11 08:48 PM

I made, for fun, my own packable wood burning stove with chimney.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_tn9EMibWA
The comments to it have disappeared. I will load them again later on..

Franco
Posted by: phat

Re: DIY Wood Burning Stove with chimney - 03/20/11 08:54 PM

Loaf Pans!!! now that's a neat trick! (as you know I use heater pipe..) I like this and might just have to try it..

At least you prefixed it with "for fun" - I can't imagine needing such a thing in australia smile

I might make it not just "for fun" -

Hey is that a TIgoat pipe? or something else?

Posted by: Kent W

Re: DIY Wood Burning Stove with chimney - 03/20/11 09:09 PM

Very innovative. Might get a bit smokie on my Hammock!

Re: DIY Wood Burning Stove with chimney - 03/20/11 09:46 PM

Phat
yes I know about your set-up...
Yes the pipe and bits for it are Ti from TiGoat..
MY idea was to have something that is is somewhat small when in storage but faster and easier to set up than some , particularly with cold hands..
Franco
Posted by: oldranger

Re: DIY Wood Burning Stove with chimney - 03/21/11 05:52 AM

Impressive! Where can I get instructions?

Re: DIY Wood Burning Stove with chimney - 03/21/11 12:25 PM

I was inspired to do that by this thread :
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/...thread_id=19345
The ingenious part is the chimney and you just buy that from TiGoat...
What took me some time to find was something that was in stainless steel, not too heavy, that could collapse or store a pot and bits inside it without wasting space in the pack.
The tricky bit is that the chimney collapsed is a foot long , so I had to work around that.
I made a much smaller one using a 1.7L water pitcher but it does not transfer the heat to the pot efficiently as (IMHO) any of the round tops also don't.
If you look at the video you can pretty much see how it is done.
Just a hole in each corner for the leg to go through, and somewhat round hole for the bottom tray (for air inlet) that has a sleet in the groove above the hole to insert the cover for that hole.
The top tray has a bigger hole . The door is made from a 1 gallon olive oil container,. The "knob" is a piece of champagne cork with a bit of fire blanket in between it and the metal. (screwed in)
The legs are 4 bits of Easton poles with a screw and a couple of nuts inserted.
(I will post a pic later as it is the middle of the night right now...)

The bottom of the legs are chop stick (the hard re-usable type...)
Collapsed it is 10.4" long.6.5 wide,2.75 high. In use it is about 4.7" high.
With a 4" pipe it would be 28 oz, about 33 with the 7' pipe.
Franco
Posted by: JollyRogers

Re: DIY Wood Burning Stove with chimney - 03/22/11 10:07 PM

Awesome stove/heater. But at an estimated cost of about $160 for just the chimney parts I may have to wait for mine. goodjob

Re: DIY Wood Burning Stove with chimney - 03/22/11 11:37 PM

I had to buy the chimney assembly because I have no workshop nor the tools to make it , never mind my lack of skills and short attention span...
I am sure that if you look around here someone has made his own chimney with stainless steel or maybe (?) thin aluminium.
Franco
Posted by: phat

Re: DIY Wood Burning Stove with chimney - 03/22/11 11:47 PM

I bought my pipe from TiGoat - but it's a stainless steel rollup, not a titanium one - I think that only cost like 40 bucks.

It is heavier of course... but not by that much - looks like about 20% heavier.

and it's $5.50 a foot for the pipe instead of $15

Re: DIY Wood Burning Stove with chimney - 03/26/11 08:08 PM

At another forum someone posted a link to a video showing what appears to be a similar stove failing because of the walls collapsing.
Looking at one of the clips I noticed that the other stove was much larger (probably about 4x) and the guy had a veritable furnace going in there.
So keep in mind the size of mine and that there are several types of stainless steel (and wall thickness) used for these kind of trays. (IE, try several time at home before you take it to the forest...)
BTW, they are not cake/bread trays .
I did another test, this time over an hour of as hot burn as I could get . Still fine.
However it takes about 20 min to boil 500ml of water.
Having the right size 'logs" it needs to be fed once every 15 min or so.
Do keep in mind that it is for campers not hikers. There are a lot easier/lighter/faster solution if all you want is to cook over wood.
The Caldera Inferno or the Bushbuddy are both a working LW solution for that.
Franco
Posted by: Joshuatree

Re: DIY Wood Burning Stove with chimney - 03/26/11 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By Franco
At another forum someone posted a link to a video showing what appears to be a similar stove failing because of the walls collapsing.
Looking at one of the clips I noticed that the other stove was much larger (probably about 4x) and the guy had a veritable furnace going in there.
So keep in mind the size of mine and that there are several types of stainless steel (and wall thickness) used for these kind of trays. (IE, try several time at home before you take it to the forest...)
BTW, they are not cake/bread trays .
I did another test, this time over an hour of as hot burn as I could get . Still fine.
However it takes about 20 min to boil 500ml of water.
Having the right size 'logs" it needs to be fed once every 15 min or so.
Do keep in mind that it is for campers not hikers. There are a lot easier/lighter/faster solution if all you want is to cook over wood.
The Caldera Inferno or the Bushbuddy are both a working LW solution for that.
Franco

Franco those are restaurant gauge chafing pans. You would have to have a bellows to get the fire hot enough to collapse the sides of those pans. I have a friend who does catering and I've seen inserts that would fit inside a pan like that, they are heavy gauge like the pan with 1/4 inch drain holes. If you get the fire off the bottom and closer to the top pan it might help with the boil time. It would also protect the bottom of the pan from warping.

Re: DIY Wood Burning Stove with chimney - 03/27/11 01:36 AM

I meant to use some wire mesh that I have (somewhere...) . It is from spare parts for a toaster and already had that in another wood burning stove. The idea was more for having some air flow under than to have the flame close to the top.
It would be really easy to just cut a hole smaller than a pot but I don't want to do that ...
Franco