hammock how much material

Posted by: Jimshaw

hammock how much material - 03/06/10 01:35 AM

I understand that I want 1.9 ounce nylon to make a hammock. If its single thickness, how much material do I need and how wide does it need to be?
Thanks Jim
Posted by: Shrike

Re: hammock how much material - 03/06/10 01:52 AM

What a coincidence! I just ordered materials to make a hammock. I have definitely converted. Just Jeffs website has a lot of information on it about making a hammock and hammock camping in general. On the linked page look under pick the size. The dimensions on Jeff's site and some from looking at the hennessy's on the REI website helped me a lot when ordering. I bought 1.9 oz nylon from quest outfitters and got a piece 9.5 feet long. The roll is 58 inches wide if I remember right. I am six three so nine and a half feet should give me plenty of room to hem, whip, and tie the ends. Good luck!
Posted by: phat

Re: hammock how much material - 03/06/10 10:56 AM

1.9 will be durable jim. If you want to be able to lay flat and you're making something like a speer or this: http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm the stock answer is you need three or three and a half yards of materiel to get a good lie in it. I make all mine out of a full width (60 inch wide) piece of materiel - you definately want the width, because to lie flatter in the hammock you want to lie in it at an angle, so you want that width.

Re: hammock how much material - 03/06/10 02:20 PM

phat I tried out BigFoots warbonnet and it has the dropped foot sack, I'm planning on doing that. The only hard part as I see it is sewing a mosquito net on that sets well. but I bet some 1/8 diameter elastic cord woul take care of that.

Jim
Posted by: phat

Re: hammock how much material - 03/07/10 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By Jimshaw
phat I tried out BigFoots warbonnet

You FOOL! why didn't you ask me first. I'd have warned you! I tried the darn warbonnet too.. and after 6 (7?) years in a homemade speer I bought the darn thing smile

Trying a warbonnet is not indusive to being happy with something homemade.

Quote:

and it has the dropped foot sack, I'm planning on doing that. The only hard part as I see it is sewing a mosquito net on that sets well. but I bet some 1/8 diameter elastic cord woul take care of that.
Jim

well, the warbonnet has the zipped on bugnet, which is nice, as long as the zipper stays sane. I've used the bugnet on my speer for years, it's attached with full-length velcro - which works well but is not as convenient to open and shut as the zipper. I *have* tried a hammock however, with a ridgeline and bugnet that was was made to drape over the side of the hammock and not attach at all, it just had pockets sewn into the mesh that you dropped in either a coin, or small stones. the net then draped over the hammock quite nicely, I didn't mind it at all - less sewing, and certainly very simple and light.
Posted by: bigfoot2

Re: hammock how much material - 03/08/10 12:11 AM

Jim,
I have a three extra hammocks and i will GIVE YOU ONE. One has bug netting velcroed on and one without (Eno single type), and a Claytor No-Net double bottom...your choice, pick one. I am too big for the one with the velcro, but for you it would be perfect. Next time i see you, i will bring all three and you can choose the one you like the most.

BF cool
Posted by: Dryer

Re: hammock how much material - 03/08/10 09:12 AM

Jim, I made my first hammock, which I still use today and find very comfortable and lightweight, from stock width, 12' of ripstop. I hemmed the edges with 1/2" hems and sewed 2" rope tunnels at each end "asymmetrically", meaning when you thread in the suspension ropes, the sides are pulled 1" tighter than the middle. The material was right off the bolt at Walmart...96" stock width, I think.
This is my loaner hammock, and a simple cot bug net drapes over the top with a ridge-line. Poncho shelter is the rain fly.
It's plenty wide to lay diagonally, or center-line. I don't bother guying hammocks so there is nothing else to do with this design....very simple and functional.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: hammock how much material - 03/08/10 09:15 AM

I am planning on following these directions in a few weeks.

Hennesy Clone

I bought a lot of $1 yrd walmart fabric for it. I think it is 1.3 oz/sq yrd, but I have yet to weigh it. I am planning on 130" at least for the length. Anyways, another option.

Re: hammock how much material - 03/08/10 06:45 PM

Oh wow thanks. I think I need the bug net being in Oregon, but I guess I should try them out. I want to do the next section of the McKenzie with you, the next 3.8 miles. how much do the hammocks weigh? Maybe I can carry all three and try em out. We would meet at the campground to the left of the power plant where my GPS burned out, only this time it will be wrapped in aluminum foil. I'll leave my tent at home.
Jim
Posted by: bigfoot2

Re: hammock how much material - 03/08/10 10:36 PM

Jim,
choice #1 (Claytor No-Net):

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/nonethammock.html

Choice #2 (modified Grand Trunk ultra-lite):

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9055
(log into Hammock Forums to view)

Choice #3 (generic travel hammock type single):

http://www.thetravelhammock.com/ProdDetails.aspx?prodId=64

BF cool

Re: hammock how much material - 03/08/10 11:26 PM

I do not yet have permission to look at those hammock pictures... frown
I have to wait for a moderator.
At least I can watch Virtual Girl while I wait to see the hammock pictures. blush
Jim