Heiny Keg Wood Stove Help...

Posted by: bigfoot2

Heiny Keg Wood Stove Help... - 02/14/10 11:59 PM

I would like to get opinions on the best way to convert a Heiney Keg (steel) to a wood stove for winter use in my tarp (Warbonnet Superfly with doors). I noticed that Tinney at MBD had done a few and given up on the design. I am not a fan of him or MBD, but the idea is a solid one. Has anyone done something similar? Weight is not an issue, but packability is (i will be using a pulk sled).
Thanks!

BF cool
Posted by: phat

Re: Heiny Keg Wood Stove Help... - 02/15/10 01:50 PM

Honestly bigfot, I'd not bother with the Heiney. Go have a look
at what I use for the shangri-la 3:

http://bofh.ucs.ualberta.ca/beck/pictures/hothex

now for something like under your tarp, you may want a little more stove than my little piece of 6 inch pipe - rather than the little heiny keg, I'd use a piece of 8 inch round duct with end caps - do it 12 to 18 inches long. the longer stove will be easier to feed since of course you can put more wood in.

also depends how much you want it to weigh.

To vent it you can either use 3 inch duct pipe, or buy a rollup pipe from Titanium Goat (that's what I did).

With your tarp, what I'd also do is vent it out one end, use a sheet of aluminum flashing as a stove boot - I'd set up the tarp down low, get a good angle on the ends how they come together, and cut the flashing to fit - epoxy some velcro on the edges to match the tarp end, and then the boot just goes into the gap between the ends on the tarp. (Thought about
doing the same myself actually.

Just make sure when you buy galvanized pieces you burn them off outside - the initial reaction of the galvinized coating is toxic. once it's heated up and reacts and changes color it's fine.

Posted by: finallyME

Re: Heiny Keg Wood Stove Help... - 02/15/10 04:34 PM

I would ask chimpac. He seems to have a good set-up that he made. Maybe PM him?
Posted by: bigfoot2

Re: Heiny Keg Wood Stove Help... - 02/16/10 05:25 AM

Originally Posted By phat

Honestly bigfot, I'd not bother with the Heiney. Go have a look
at what I use for the shangri-la 3:

http://bofh.ucs.ualberta.ca/beck/pictures/hothex

now for something like under your tarp, you may want a little more stove than my little piece of 6 inch pipe - rather than the little heiny keg, I'd use a piece of 8 inch round duct with end caps - do it 12 to 18 inches long. the longer stove will be easier to feed since of course you can put more wood in.

also depends how much you want it to weigh.

To vent it you can either use 3 inch duct pipe, or buy a rollup pipe from Titanium Goat (that's what I did).

With your tarp, what I'd also do is vent it out one end, use a sheet of aluminum flashing as a stove boot - I'd set up the tarp down low, get a good angle on the ends how they come together, and cut the flashing to fit - epoxy some velcro on the edges to match the tarp end, and then the boot just goes into the gap between the ends on the tarp. (Thought about
doing the same myself actually.

Just make sure when you buy galvanized pieces you burn them off outside - the initial reaction of the galvinized coating is toxic. once it's heated up and reacts and changes color it's fine.

Phat,
Ya' know, i'm using a Heiney KEG, not a small beer can, right? I really think it's a good way to make a cheap wood stove, i just haven't got it all figured out yet. I was thinking TiGoat roll up pipe would be much easier than trying to fabricate my own.

BF cool
Posted by: phat

Re: Heiny Keg Wood Stove Help... - 02/16/10 09:37 AM

Originally Posted By bigfoot2
[
Phat,
Ya' know, i'm using a Heiney KEG, not a small beer can, right? I really think it's a good way to make a cheap wood stove, i just haven't got it all figured out yet.

yeah, I know, I've just seen the things to make those and figure it's a lot more trouble than making one out of pipe with two end caps.
Posted by: ndnvet0331

Re: Heiny Keg Wood Stove Help... - 04/22/11 01:36 PM

sir my name is michael takesthegun , i was wondering if you could send me the plans on your stove it is exactly what i am looking for ...as i have material ...i use a g.p. small an already have the stove pipe hole ,,,just wondering if you could send a drawing an a list of materials ...an linda where you got them at ...i really like your design....you can yell at me in facebook i am @ "echo fourhotel"in face book .....an blacktaildeer76@yahoo.com
Posted by: Paulo

Re: Heiny Keg Wood Stove Help... - 04/22/11 11:57 PM

If I recall correctly, Tinny used the high efficiency wood stove for boiling water, not as a chimney style wood stove for heat. He gave up because it got the pot dirty. He hasn't really looked at all the options (there is a thread in the MYOG sub forum and I have two videos on my youtube channel).

What are you looking for? Something to boil water, or something to heat your shelter? Or both?
Posted by: ndnvet0331

Re: Heiny Keg Wood Stove Help... - 04/26/11 07:23 PM

just the morning heater an coffee cooker low heater during the day