Glow paint

Posted by: alexsupertramp

Glow paint - 01/17/10 02:39 PM

ive been thinkin about doing this for awhile and was wondering anyone else has tried it. I was in target the other day and saw orange glow in the dark spray paint and thought itd be great for those hard to find items at night such as flash lights camp shoes basically anything you want lemme know what you think
Posted by: DJ2

Re: Glow paint - 01/17/10 04:03 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me. I didn't know there was a paint like that.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Glow paint - 01/17/10 04:30 PM

I was thinking about putting some reflective tape on my stuff. Like the kind used on commercial vehicles. They even come in different colors including black so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb during the day.
Posted by: oldranger

Re: Glow paint - 01/17/10 06:40 PM

Won't that stuff need to be energized somehow? That might be tricky, depending on just what the item is and where it is placed during the day.

I like to be sure I know where at least one light is, once the sun goes down.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Glow paint - 01/18/10 12:44 AM

For years I've stuck pieces of theatrical glo-tape on things I need to find in the dark. Saves a lot of fumbling around in the dark. It holds a "charge" for 6 to 8 hours. An LED light charges it up in a few seconds, faster than incandescent because of the high UV content.
Posted by: Spock

Re: Glow paint - 01/18/10 10:24 AM

Glow paint is a great idea, but don't neglect the most important thing: reflector patches on your tent or tarp. Losing your camp after a midnite call of nature or a twilight trip to the spring can lead to all kinds of problems starting with embarrassment and going up through death. Reflector cloth on the mems of a tarp, reflector lines, etc can help you find your way back.
Posted by: alexsupertramp

Re: Glow paint - 01/18/10 07:27 PM

thats a good idea with the reflective fabric know where i can get it in bulk? and as for the stage tape idea im trying to achieve that same effect, the paint can states that full charge in direct sunlight after 2 mins its the same glow activator used in emergency exit signs so im pretty confident that claim will hold up. ill keep you guys posted and thanks alot for that led idea didnt even consider that.
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Glow paint - 01/18/10 09:16 PM

Alex
I think what you mean is highly reflective paint, or does it actually glow in complete darkness?

Eric points out that glow tape must be charged and gets dimmer.

"Real" glow paint had radium in it to continuously charge it and isn't readily accepted by the EPA.

My dogs vest has some reflective tape that shines like a spotlight in a light beam. So if you need to find it without a light beam, you need a chemical that absorbs light and slowly re-emits it and as I recall from my childhood it gets dim quickly.
Jim
Posted by: Steadman

Re: Glow paint - 01/18/10 10:10 PM

Jim

They use paint and tape that glows in the dark on ships - and I know it isn't radioactive and it really glows in the dark (nothing is darker than a hold with no lights on - greatest sleep ever if it's quiet).

Steadman
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Glow paint - 01/18/10 11:36 PM

well theres a lot of peple selling glow paint that charges in day light or UV and "glows all night" or "glows 8 hours". I've never seen the stuff, wonder how it would work on a tent? Or paint a path to the latrine? Maybe I should get some and paint my boots? Skis - hmm this sounds like fun. ebay
Jim
Posted by: skippy

Re: Glow paint - 01/19/10 01:14 AM

I work as a bicycle cop and we use material that reflects light but doesn't glow. I have strips of it on my uniform so that cars don't run me over at night. The material is called retro-reflective. You will see it on the traffic vests worn by highway workers and cops. You sometimes see it on firefighters clothing as well. The material on road signs doesn't glow, it is along the lines of the retro-reflective clothing as it only reflects the light that is shined on it.

You can buy this stuff as tape or material to be sewn on clothing etc.

Originally Posted By Jimshaw
Alex
I think what you mean is highly reflective paint, or does it actually glow in complete darkness?

Eric points out that glow tape must be charged and gets dimmer.

"Real" glow paint had radium in it to continuously charge it and isn't readily accepted by the EPA.

My dogs vest has some reflective tape that shines like a spotlight in a light beam. So if you need to find it without a light beam, you need a chemical that absorbs light and slowly re-emits it and as I recall from my childhood it gets dim quickly.
Jim
Posted by: Steadman

Re: Glow paint - 01/19/10 09:22 AM

Jim

3M Makes a tape product that looks similar to what I've seen on ships.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en...MbeMRKM0WZXCWgl

CORRECTION: They do make the stuff I've seen on ships: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTtMxf6Lx&6EV76EbHSHVs6EVs6E666666--

Again, mostly we (THEY) use this stuff for emergency exits.

If you test something, and it works great, I may apply it to my bike... reflection only goes so far.

Steadman
Posted by: frenchie

Re: Glow paint - 01/19/10 01:55 PM

I tie strips of disused reflective guyline to the top and corners of my tarps or shelters. Lots easier to find it on the way back from evening walk, visit to neighbours, toilet trip, etc....And to zippers too.
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: Glow paint - 01/20/10 12:44 PM

Simpler options that have helped me:

1) Carry a spare LED light; clip to hammock before leaving site.

2)Hang a reflective (emergency) blanket below hammock. Once a flashlight hits it, the hammock is highly visible.

3)Hang white laundry, hankerchief, bandana, etc., from some line (even hammock suspension). My flashlight turns that into a beacon, as well.

CM
Posted by: Spock

Re: Glow paint - 01/20/10 02:09 PM

Alex,
Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics (www.owfinc.com)is one source for lightweight reflective fabric. It doesn't take much and long strips are more effective than patches.