Vick Roling Hines poncho tent

Posted by: Billc3

Vick Roling Hines poncho tent - 11/04/09 08:20 AM

Has anyone made the poncho tent in Hines' book? It starts on page 59 and looks like a great tent but I am having trouble understanding how it all goes together. Any ideas?

Bill
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Vick Roling Hines poncho tent - 11/04/09 09:12 AM

It so happens that there is a forum member named Spock. His real name is VIck Hines, the author. Maybe he will chime in.
Posted by: Roocketman

Re: Vick Roling Hines poncho tent - 11/04/09 10:06 AM

Is your trouble getting the hood sewn onto the poncho body? I had difficulty there and got help from a local sewing shop.

Re: Vick Roling Hines poncho tent - 11/04/09 10:36 AM

My trouble is seeing how it all goes together. I feel the need to understand how the finished product works before I start. A few more drawings or pictures of the tent and poncho would help if anyone has one.
Thanks
Bill
Posted by: Spock

Re: Vick Roling Hines poncho tent - 11/04/09 03:41 PM

Think of the poncho tent as two ponchos - the inside or both having a sphincter neck instead of a hood - stitched on 3 sides and open to the front. That much is simple. However, I like a mosquito net and some overhang in front and extra foot room at the rear. The tent illustrated uses a simple, draping mosquito net.

What else do you need to know?

Re: Vick Roling Hines poncho tent - 11/04/09 09:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure how the pleats in the back work and what happens to the mosquito net when used as a poncho? Is there any vent in the back of the tent? I like the no zipper net, I will make my next tent, maybe this one or mini tent that way.
Thanks
Bill

Re: Vick Roling Hines poncho tent - 11/05/09 09:13 PM

The top and bottom are the same length, but the bottom is offset to the rear 12 inches and folded to form pleats before stitching the 3 sides. Velcro patches keep both the pleats and the mosquito net inside the poncho. The net, especially, tends to fall out unless you have enough velcro. When set up, the side seams along the sides of the back and on the back itself are up off the ground. Two stake loops about 24 inches apart on the floor will hold the back in shape - or you can just let it float loose. I prefer that.

The poncho tent is really just a tube tent. Keep it simple.

Re: Vick Roling Hines poncho tent - 11/06/09 08:17 AM

I can see how it goes together now, thanks.
Bill

Re: Vick Roling Hines poncho tent - 11/10/09 12:22 PM

Bill,
A trick I have not tried is to use a DryDucks poncho for the top. It might not be long enough but you could make it up from the bottom. That O2 material breathes very well, and should make a very dry shelter.
Posted by: groh_frog

Re: Vick Roling Hines poncho tent - 11/30/09 07:10 PM

Good book? Do you have a link to the publisher, or a selling site?
Posted by: Roocketman

Re: Vick Roling Hines poncho tent - 12/01/09 11:16 AM

Originally Posted By groh_frog
Good book? Do you have a link to the publisher, or a selling site?

The book is long out of print. So you try used bookstores, especially online.

www.amazon.com
www.abebooks.com

You can sometimes get a copy on interlibrary loan.

Re: Vick Roling Hines poncho tent - 12/01/09 10:59 PM

I found the book at my library. I would like to find one though. I will give the DriDucks a try, thanks.
Bill
Posted by: PerryMK

Re: Vick Roling Hines poncho tent - 12/02/09 06:13 AM

I found several copies using fetchbook.info

How to make your own lightweight camping gear