Cat Stvoe simmer

Posted by: Bushman

Cat Stvoe simmer - 07/28/09 06:11 PM

I cant get my cat stove to simmer for the life of me. I added a strip of oven liner to cover the air intake holes, but it still doesn't burn longer than 7 minutes. Any tips?
Posted by: phat

Re: Cat Stvoe simmer - 07/29/09 11:07 AM

I've used the Cat stove and ended up staying with the Penny stove - the penny was one of the easiest I found to make simmer, but I still haven't found an alcohol stove that isn't too "fiddly" for me trying to make it simmer in field conditions, The cat stove was "much" more finicky trying to play with strips and all sorts of contraptions.

My solution has simply been not to bother with simmering. I have a good cozy for my pot, and I take anything that can be made with boiling water and a cozy when backpacking on an alcohol stove.

If I really want to simmer or do fancier cooking, I take a canister (snow peak) stove
Posted by: sabre11004

Re: Cat Stvoe simmer - 07/29/09 11:34 AM

I use the pepsi type stove and I have cut the bottom/and/or top (that will fit the top or the bottom of the can when finished) from another can and after the stove is good and hot, (you may have to use a little more fuel than normal to stretch it out) you can cover the top port hole and the burner will slow way down. I have one (about 4 oz. ) that will simmer for around 20-22 minutes...sabre11004 wink wink
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: Cat Stvoe simmer - 07/29/09 01:47 PM

What phat said.

Never met any alky stove that simmers easily.

Most of my meals need nothing more than boiling water. When I actually want to cook something I reach for white gas or a canister.

Posted by: lori

Re: Cat Stvoe simmer - 07/29/09 02:53 PM

The best way to get a simmering alcohol stove is to make a second stove with fewer holes, or make an adjustable wick stove.

I have a wick stove from MiniBull Designs that works just fine. Also made a simmer cat.

Then there is this set: http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/products-stoves.html

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html - scroll down to view simmer options.

Shug's blackfly video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI5I5SOmTp8
I have one of these - they don't seem to be in production anymore tho. Tinny is too busy playing with remote fuel alcohol stoves.... You can get a half hour burn with about an ounce of fuel with it.
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: Cat Stvoe simmer - 07/29/09 05:42 PM

Ditto Phat and Trailrunner exactly.

And, to possibly add value to the thread beyond "me too" grin, note that there are alcohol stove options you can purchase that will simmer. Or at least my Brasslite will simmer, it has a little outer metal sleeve that rotates to control airflow with no "fiddle factor". I've only used it this way once or twice, but indeed it put out lower btu's for a longer time. $20 or $30 depending on model.

Posted by: thecook

Re: Cat Stvoe simmer - 07/30/09 12:35 AM

I use a zen mini stove and it simmers just fine if you block all the holes. Makes great rice and will burn for over 25-30 minutes. A piece of aluminum foil and a paper clip work just fine. Note: I do not use the stove as a low pressure side burner but with about an inch between the stove and pot.
Posted by: phat

Re: Cat Stvoe simmer - 07/30/09 12:47 AM

Don't get me wrong, it can be done, I've done it on several different types of stove. the penny does simmer very well, it's just that I have found most of them require more fiddle factor than I'm willing to put up with in the field (trying to simmer in howling wind somewhere in the rockies) for my food. I have made very nice pots of brown rice on the penny stove - in my kitchen. I've just decided it's more trouble than I wanna deal with in the bush. If I always camped in more sheltered places than I do, it might be different.