MYOG- Hammocks

Posted by: Barefoot Friar

MYOG- Hammocks - 01/27/09 11:41 PM

I have been reading everything I can find online, and hammocks are starting to look more and more inviting. Anyone have a good pattern I could try? I need one that will support at least 250lb.

Thanks in advance.
Posted by: Heber

Re: MYOG- Hammocks - 01/27/09 11:50 PM

Try the test hammock at Risk's page (click here ). That's the easiest thing in the world to make. It takes about 5 minutes.

A full fledged hammock isn't much harder. Try the zhammock at Risk's page as well.
Posted by: lori

Re: MYOG- Hammocks - 01/28/09 04:06 PM

I just ordered a double layer made of 1.1 nylon. It was suggested to me that anyone over 200 lbs should opt for 1.7 nylon due to the possibility of stretching. If you look at the chart at Hennessy's website you can glean some info on materials they use for hammocks rated for different body weights and save yourself some trial and error.

There is also lots of DIY info at hammockforums.net, on different styles for different purposes - great place to start researching tarp and insulation options as well.
Posted by: jpanderson80

Re: MYOG- Hammocks - 01/28/09 05:11 PM

Thanks for the link... I've been very interested in hammocks as well. I'm not quite ready to build, but by spring I'll be ready for a hammock and some bug protection.
Posted by: robi

Re: MYOG- Hammocks - 02/07/09 11:37 AM

i have made and used ed speer type hammocks and I weighed in at about 230 then.... had no issues....

robi