Using polarguard

Posted by: frenchie

Using polarguard - 01/25/09 03:43 PM

I've just bought stuff to make a quilt with polarguard. Problem, I have never really used this before (except for making some garments).
Main concern is: do I need to keep the "scrim" layer, or is it here just for handling? I was thinking of keeping it when sewing polarguard to the inner fabric, then getting rid of it, somewhow, before assembling...
Posted by: sabre11004

Re: Using polarguard - 01/27/09 05:52 PM

We have a quilt too but instead of polar guard we made ours out of polartec fabric. The is a high-tec fabric that for the weight, it is very good insulation used as a layer. We do not use the quilt much as we prefer the tent, however we have used it when we use our hammocks on the trail. We both have bug netting over our hammocks and the quilt works nicely inside the bug net. You may want to do some research on the different fabrics to see which one might suit your needs the best...Hope this helps...sabre11004... awesome

The first step that you take will be one of those that get you there.........
Posted by: Paul

Re: Using polarguard - 02/08/09 12:24 AM

The polarguard I have used did not come with a scrim layer. Are you certain it is indeed Polarguard and not some other synthetic insulation? If it is really Polarguardit should not need the scrim layer, it just needs minimal quilting or spot stabilazation.
Posted by: gardenville

Re: Using polarguard - 02/09/09 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By Paul
The polarguard I have used did not come with a scrim layer. Are you certain it is indeed Polarguard and not some other synthetic insulation? If it is really Polarguardit should not need the scrim layer, it just needs minimal quilting or spot stabilazation.

The fact that there is or isn't scrim means nothing.

Some retailers ship insulation with scrim so it doesn't stick to itself. Some don't worry about that and ship it without scrim.

I have gotten samples direct from the manufacture without scrim.

Posted by: TurkeyBacon

Re: Using polarguard - 02/14/09 06:23 PM

I recently tried sewing a hat out of left over primaloft. I wasn't all that picky about my craftsmanship on this one, so some of the primaloft got sewn with the scrim and some did not. If you are careful about how you sew it, its probably not necessary. Your foot will probably tear into the insulation periodically if you are not careful. Cut it out and practice with the leftovers.
Scott
Posted by: frenchie

Re: Using polarguard - 02/15/09 12:34 PM

I will opt for the "with scrim" option...Easier, definitly!
Thanks!