Non Waterproof Tent Floor

Posted by: DJ2

Non Waterproof Tent Floor - 10/20/08 06:28 PM

I've replaced the waterproof bathtub floor of one of my tents with one made of uncoated nylon. I've been pretty happy with the results.

I carry a piece of polycro plastic and lay it inside the tent, on top of the uncoated floor, to keep me and my stuff dry.

I switched to uncoated because I found that most of the moisture I was getting in my tent was coming from condensation on the coated walls of the bathtub floor.

Coating on floors eventuallly cracks, gets holes in it or wears out anyway. With this system I can easily replace the waterproof plastic piece. No need for a footprint either.

Have others experimented with uncoated flooring?
Posted by: Spock

Re: Non Waterproof Tent Floor - 10/20/08 06:34 PM

Yes, and I like it. It is a great way to salvage a tent that has lived past its use-by date. I even put garter hooks inside a tent to clamp the groundsheet in place - not worth the weight or trouble. However, putting a groundsheet inside the tent is not the lightest system. Replacing the existing floor with silnylon is probably a better bet, IMHO, but a lot more trouble.
Posted by: Jim M

Re: Non Waterproof Tent Floor - 12/17/08 08:30 PM

I have used tents with floors and without. I see advantages in no floor. I use a light plastic paint tarp (as light as half mil) and secure the corners with rocks. I then wrap the floor up the sides of the tent a bit to keep out insects and water. So why do you need the extra weight of an untreated floor? The only advantage of a sewn in floor, as I see it, is when it is bathtub like and keeps out water that way.
Posted by: coyotemaster

Re: Non Waterproof Tent Floor - 12/18/08 05:33 AM

Quote:
The only advantage of a sewn in floor, as I see it, is when it is bathtub like and keeps out water that way.

Keeping out water seems to be a pretty good advantage to me.
Posted by: skinewmexico

Re: Non Waterproof Tent Floor - 12/18/08 08:54 AM

Pretty easy to follow the technique on Jim Wood's web site and re-waterproof it.