Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192174 - 10/05/15 10:49 PM Hiking/backpacking stereotypes...
flavin Offline

Hey guys, and gals!

My Name is Jenny Flavin, I'm an anthropology student at SUNY New Paltz, and I've chosen to mix my love of hiking with my research project this semester. I'm doing a research paper about hiking stereotypes and how they relate to food people bring on the trail. Nothing about this paper will be published.

Can you guys list as many hiking / backpacking stereotypes you can think of?

Feel free to contact me with further questions. Newpaltz.Flavin@gmail.com

#192175 - 10/06/15 07:56 AM Re: Hiking/backpacking stereotypes... [Re: flavin]
flavin Offline

Just to clarify I’m looking for “types of people” (the newbie, the ultralight etc…)

#192177 - 10/06/15 10:12 AM Re: Hiking/backpacking stereotypes... [Re: flavin]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Hey Jenny,

Has anyone told you the thruhiker M&M joke?

best, jcp

#192181 - 10/06/15 03:35 PM Re: Hiking/backpacking stereotypes... [Re: JPete]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Boy Scouts

#192182 - 10/06/15 03:56 PM Re: Hiking/backpacking stereotypes... [Re: flavin]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I'm aware of several stereotypical categories of backpacker, such as those mentioned already above, but I'm not sure there is any strong correlation between those stereotypes and a stereotypical set of food choices. Food choices, in my experience, are very individual and only loosely associated with one's backpacking experience level or preferred style of backpacking.

For example, most thru-hikers share a similar drive to hike big miles and similar devotion to cutting grams, but while some eat Ho-Hos and other junk food, others will carefully home-dehydrate and package vegan meals to be sent ahead to drop points as they hike.

Good luck with your research, though.

#192212 - 10/12/15 03:50 PM Re: Hiking/backpacking stereotypes... [Re: JPete]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Quote:
Has anyone told you the thruhiker M&M joke?

No one has told me....

"You want to go where?"

#192213 - 10/12/15 06:18 PM Re: Hiking/backpacking stereotypes... [Re: flavin]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Hi Jenny,

I'll try to name a few styles of backpacking first.

• Bushcrafter
  • Bushwhacker
  • Cheapskate
  • Fair weather
  • Gear Head
  • Gourmet
  • Heavyweight
  • Lightweight
  • Minimalist
  • Soloist
  • Survivalist
  • Thru-hiker
  • Trail Only Hiker
  • Ultralight

Some of these might be considered stereotypes:
  • Bushcrafter
  • Clueless
  • X-Treme
  • Techweenie
  • Survivalist
  • Thru-hiker

I'm sure others here can add to that, but, I don't think anyone can be purely one of those so...

I'll say by choice I'm a "fair weather lightweight cheapskate bushwhacker", which is not at all stereotypical.

How that relates to the food I bring:

I have friends who are heavyweight backpackers and food is no small part of their total weight. Same could be said for me, but my food is generally a lot lighter than theirs. So is my kitchen gear, which limits what kinds of food I can bring. My heavyweight friends seem to have no limits they consider other than if they can lift their pack before they leave.

I primarily think about food both in terms of weight and the space it takes up in my pack. The "fairweather, cheapskate, bushwhacker" styles have little to do with that for me. You could be any of those too and not be concerned about the weight or kind or volume of food you bring.

There's a bit of crossover in those lists but stereotypes, by definition, are "a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image", and that is very true when it comes to backpacking, at least here in the US.

As I see it, most of us incorporate several of what I'm calling "styles" of backpacking, so none of us are stereotypical. In fact, the backpacker here who I'd have to say is the most "X-Treme" is also the least stereotypical.

We have a few honest to goodness "Thru-hikers" here, but I'm not sure the stereotype fits the reality of those who are real thru-hikers either. The stereotype I see always depicts some kind of inner struggle that motivates them and the hardships of backpacking they endure to cure themselves, but what I see here are those with a passion to get outdoors and see and experience all of it they can. There's no cure for that, and they know it. And I don't think they feel there's any hardshipiness in for them. They love it all.

The one "style" we all have in common here, on this forum, is the "Lightweight" style. That's what brings us here, but that's not stereotypical either. Most of my friends who backpack carry 6-packs of beer and steaks and potatoes and who knows what all...

"You want to go where?"

#192215 - 10/13/15 12:11 AM Re: Hiking/backpacking stereotypes... [Re: billstephenson]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Of course one of the reasons we promote "lightweight" backpacking is so we can bring the steaks and beer without staggering under the total load!
lol

#192217 - 10/13/15 10:08 AM Re: Hiking/backpacking stereotypes... [Re: billstephenson]
JPete Offline

The M&M joke: How to tell a day hiker from a weekender or a thru hiker? put a single M&M in the middle of the trail and watch. The day hiker will fail to notice. The weekender will notice, but decide to leave it. The thru hiker will stop, drop the pack and have dinner. best jcp

#192218 - 10/13/15 10:22 AM Re: Hiking/backpacking stereotypes... [Re: JPete]
JPete Offline

Jenny,

I think Bill's analytic reply is right on. There certainly are some stereotypes as noted, but usually any one individual will represent a mix of several, so it's difficult to isolate.

I think the nearest I can come is the football player type who carries lots of heavy food in a big pack and spends the evening talking about miles, how many today, how many tomorrow, etc.

Not sure where I fit in, but my first thru hike, when I was sixty, virtually every item I wore or carried was at least 20 years old, some items much older than that. The young ones gave me the trail name of "Antiques Roadshow".

At one point one of the football player types needed to move my pack and tossed it to his friend who said "wow, that weighs less than my food bag."

best, jcp

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum