Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188669 - 01/19/15 09:00 PM Whats your process for choosing a backpack?
bob13bob Offline

Loc: California, United States
Noobie here. I couldn’t find any guide to it, so I’m listing out what I went through. Hope it’s helpful to other newbies like myself. Here’s what I do. My process takes a long time, but I think it’s worth it. I initially went and just bought a $100 pack because it was on sale. I regret my purchase, because the pack does not fit me that well. spending another $100 would have been money really well spent over the life of use of the pack for more comfort/better fit.

-Determine the necessary pack size. Depending on where I’m going, weather,days out i have pack list. Then I pack it in to one of my existing bags to get an idea of how much volume and weight I typically use for the trips I like.

-go to REI. This is better done during camping season when they have a better selection of packs. Ask an associate to measure you with their tool. I try all the packs in the volume I’m looking for. different models from the same brand have different suspension systems, so I try different models of even the same maker.

-Take the pack over to the baffle bags they have. load a light baffle bag, then weight bags until i’m around my actual carry weight determined in step 1 above. usually i’ll be able to narrow it down to two packs. walk around the store and choose the one that fits best.

-when I had less $, I would then go online and buy the pack since it’s cheaper than REI. I feel it’s important to buy it from the store if you can since you just used their facilities. Or you can just keep in mind the two packs you liked the most, and wait for a sale on either on from REI.

-I take it on a test pack and hike with all the gear. I like to put some real trail miles on. Better to discover the problems now instead of later in backcountry

#188671 - 01/19/15 09:36 PM Re: Whats your process for choosing a backpack? [Re: bob13bob]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Generally recommended--get the rest of your gear first, the pack last. When shopping for a pack, pack up your gear in a box and take it to the store with you. If you can, make an advance appointment at a slack time and tell them you want their most experienced pack fitter. That's because the pack must fit your gear and be comfortable for you with your gear packed inside. There is considerable difference between real live backpacking gear and a bunch of weights or sandbags.

As soon as you get the pack, load it up with your gear, a liter or two of water and the equivalent in weight/bulk of a week's food, and hike around the house with it (don't remove the tags!) for a couple of hours. Boring, yes, but you need to determine if the pack is a keeper while you can still return it.

More on pack selection in the articles on the home page of this site, left hand column.

I would get fitted at a locally owned hiking/mountaineering store if you have one. My experience with REI clerks (most of whom appear to have little knowledge of backpacking) has not been good.

My personal experience has been that the best packs are made by the various "cottage" industries who sell on the internet. Examples of lightweight framed pack (what I prefer) makers include ULA-Equipment, Elemental Horizons, Gossamer Gear, Six Moon Designs, Hyperlite Mountain Gear, among others. That's what I ended up getting. I was prepared to pay return shipping charges on half a dozen packs, but it turned out that the very first pack I ordered fit me as though it had been custom made for me! I did go through the store bit (hoping to learn what a well-fitted pack feels like) but found nothing there that I wanted.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/19/15 09:38 PM)

#188684 - 01/21/15 12:41 AM Re: Whats your process for choosing a backpack? [Re: OregonMouse]
bob13bob Offline

Loc: California, United States
Thats good to know. I've never tried any of the cottage industry packs.

#188686 - 01/21/15 01:26 PM Re: Whats your process for choosing a backpack? [Re: bob13bob]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
One thing I left out, probably because I live in the soggy Pacific NW where water sources are generally frequent: If you'll be doing desert hiking, test that pack with a gallon of water instead of a quart/liter!

I mentioned framed packs. Some folks do fine with a frameless pack (such as those made by Mountain Laurel Designs) for total pack weights up to 25 lbs. Others (like me) need a supportive frame and load lifters to transfer nearly all the weight to the hip belt for anything over 7-8 lbs. Certainly if your total pack weight (including pack) is much over 25 lbs., a frameless pack will be torture for most people. Individuals, of course, vary. Pack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit, and is just as important.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 230 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum