Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179012 - 08/07/13 11:45 PM DeLorme InSearch or ResQLink+
mira.mikes Offline

Hi,

I am thinking to switch from Iridium sat phone to something lighter and cheaper from my safety.

Two candidets are:

DeLorme InSearch
http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/inreachse.php

ResQLink+
http://www.acrartex.com/products/catalog/personal-locator-beacons/resqlinkplus/

There are some concerns:
DeLorme InSearch : I don't like too much they subscription system.
ResQLink+ : From REI pages - If your country of residence is outside the Unites States, you will need to have the beacon reprogrammed by a local dealer or service center, which may involve additional cost.

Not sure if this can be solved because my country doesn't have a local dealer for ResQLink+

So I am not US resident and I am traveling quite often above a polar circle.

Any thoughts, advices, suggestions, experience? wink

mira

#179013 - 08/08/13 03:09 AM Re: DeLorme InSearch or ResQLink+ [Re: mira.mikes]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Here's what I know, having researched the various systems for myself--that was last December. The Delorme Inreach allows two-way communication via text message in case of emergency, which is really helpful to both Search And Rescue and to the rescuee. Neither the SPOT nor Personal Locator Beacons have this capability. I don't know what agency is contacted for an SOS signal on the Delorme Inreach, but they claim it's world-wide. I suggest you make sure of this before investing! The satellite network (Iridium) used for the Inreach is much more reliable and pervasive than that used for the SPOT (Globalstar). With the SPOT, you can send only preprogrammed messages, so you can't tell SAR the nature of the emergency or even if it's a false alarm. Nor can any messages be sent to you, so you have no idea if your emergency signal has gotten through or when help will arrive. The same is true of Personal Locator Beacons, except that they use the far more reliable US Dept. of Defense satellite network. A Personal Locator Beacon bought in the US is programmed to contact NOAA (US Coast Guard) when the button is pushed, so of course it has to be reprogrammed when used in another country. It shouldn't matter if your country does't have an ACR (or McMurdo) dealer as long as it has an emergency system, but you'll be faced with more reprogramming (check on the cost, which will probably involve international shipping) every time you go hike in another country.

If you don't want to continue with the satellite phone, I strongly recommend the Delorme Inreach if it can be used when you go home or hike in another country.

I read last year that you can discontinue the subscription if you are not using the Delorme and that you can have a subscription plan which is active only a few months a year. Of course I read this before the Delorme actually was released, so I have no idea if this is still true. I have decided to hang onto my PLB (McMurdo Fastfind) until next year when any problems should have been worked out of the Delorme Inreach. The technology of these things is advancing so fast! By next year it will probably do a song and dance routine to entertain you while you're waiting for rescue!

#179016 - 08/08/13 09:04 AM Re: DeLorme InSearch or ResQLink+ [Re: OregonMouse]
mira.mikes Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I don't know what agency is contacted for an SOS signal on the Delorme Inreach, but they claim it's world-wide.

From DeLorme pages:
When an SOS is sent, our partners at the GEOS IERCC are contacted. They provide 24/7/365 emergency response capability. When the SOS is sent, one of their Duty Officers at the IERCC will be dealing with your emergency, liaising with the primary first response agency responsible in the area closest to your reported coordinates or any other relevant authority as well as coordinating any additional private search and rescue resources that may be required to rescue you or save your life. IERCC will also notify the emergency contacts on your inReach account.

The satellite network (Iridium) used for the Inreach is much more reliable and pervasive than that used for the SPOT (Globalstar).

Yes SPOT is NOT way to go for me!

It shouldn't matter if your country does't have an ACR (or McMurdo) dealer as long as it has an emergency system, but you'll be faced with more reprogramming (check on the cost, which will probably involve international shipping) every time you go hike in another country.

This plus one point for DeLorme InSearch

I read last year that you can discontinue the subscription if you are not using the Delorme and that you can have a subscription plan which is active only a few months a year.

That what I would like to know. If the subscribe/unsubscribe is simple thing or problematic. There is always some fee for activating and unsubscribe is done by phone call.
That's bit strange to me, because you anyway have some on-line for managing your DeLorme account so why not manage these by this account?

mira

Edited by mira.mikes (08/08/13 09:29 AM)

#179017 - 08/08/13 09:26 AM Re: DeLorme InSearch or ResQLink+ [Re: mira.mikes]
lori Offline

http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/tracking/ACR-Spot-inReach-Comparison.html

I have an ACR PLB.

I can't find it at the moment, but I had something that listed the strength of the signal of the three devices - SPOT and InReach were significantly weaker...

If I were going to the arctic, however, I'd take the SAT phone.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#179025 - 08/08/13 12:18 PM Re: DeLorme InSearch or ResQLink+ [Re: lori]
mira.mikes Offline

Thank you for chart

Originally Posted By lori
I can't find it at the moment, but I had something that listed the strength of the signal of the three devices - SPOT and InReach were significantly weaker...

post it later please if you find it ... I am interested.
But does it really matter if InReach works through Iridium?

Originally Posted By lori
If I were going to the arctic, however, I'd take the SAT phone.

Yes maybe I will keep it for most demanding trips.

mira

#179214 - 08/15/13 05:05 PM Re: DeLorme InSearch or ResQLink+ [Re: mira.mikes]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Have been using an InReach paired with an Android phone this season with good success (once I figured it out, which wasn't easy). Compared to the Delorme SPOT setup it's far more competent and useful. The shortcoming is the phone, because battery life is too shabby to rely on it as a GPS in the field (even though it works GREAT in that capacity).

Remember: the InReach is a sat phone, but only for texting and sending location data. It will have the same coverage as any iridium-hosted device, but may not have equal sensitivity to a sat phone. All my use has been in the mid-30s latitudes, so I can't comment on dead zones elsewhere. (There are detailed global coverage maps with more info.) Best results are under a wide open sky, and you need a certain amount of time for a satellite to pass into view.

I think Aaron Ralston may have had to cut his arm off anyway if he'd carried one, being stuck in a slot canyon.

I wish it weighed three ounces instead of half a pound, but I suppose that model will be along in two years. Battery life, by the way, is excellent even using real-time tracking.

Cheers,

Edited by Rick_D (08/15/13 05:07 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 292 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum