Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175345 - 02/26/13 09:41 AM Backpacking & Politic
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I have a WordPress blog where I like to read posts related to Great Smoky Mountains National Park, hiking, etc. Last night I stumbled onto this post: Politic

You do not have to read the link above, it basically said Blount County Commissioners have recently said they opposed the backpacking fees. Uh, what? Wait, so you decided to wait to AFTER the fees were enacted to express your opposition?

Here another link with the date of September 5, 2011 discussing the fees being considering: Public Process .

I find it fascinating and odd at the timing of the people opposing it in the first link, when this was first announced in 2011. I found out about it in April of 2012, but still.. All this time the Park Officials had the process open, they wait until after it gets enacted? The local Commissioners must be bored with their job.....

Edited by ETSU Pride (02/26/13 09:41 AM)

#175350 - 02/26/13 11:34 AM Re: Backpacking & Politic [Re: ETSU Pride]
ETSU Pride Offline

I've been doing some more reading and discovered some very interesting things:

Quote:
6. Will I be able to purchase an annual backcountry camping pass?

Backcountry fees will be collected under authority of the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (FLREA). FLREA permits the creation of annual passes for park entrance fees but not other fees, such as backcountry use fees. Great Smoky Mountains National Park does not have an entrance fee.

This lead me to the FLREA.

Upon further reading of the FLREA I found:
Quote:
Expanded Amenity Fees are fees that provide direct benefits to individuals or groups. They include things like developed campgrounds, cabin rentals, highly developed boat docks and swimming areas. They may also include services like hookups, dump stations, special tours and reservations services.
The key words being the "reservations services." Which is essentially the biggest change the fee brought and made it legal to collect fees.

The links for both quotes can be found: here and here respectively.

Edited by ETSU Pride (02/26/13 11:52 AM)

#175354 - 02/26/13 02:32 PM Re: Backpacking & Politic [Re: ETSU Pride]
LoneStranger Offline

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By ETSU Pride
I've been doing some more reading and discovered some very interesting things:

Quote:
6. Will I be able to purchase an annual backcountry camping pass?

Backcountry fees will be collected under authority of the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (FLREA). FLREA permits the creation of annual passes for park entrance fees but not other fees, such as backcountry use fees. Great Smoky Mountains National Park does not have an entrance fee.

That is an awful lot of words they used when "nope" would have been clearer.

#175355 - 02/26/13 02:34 PM Re: Backpacking & Politic [Re: ETSU Pride]
rionada Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, QLD Australia
Maybe it's just me. But, if you stay off trail and away from the developed areas then:
1) You are not utilizing any of the "amenities" that they're charging for.
2) You can then justify not paying.
3) You're unlikely to get caught in acting on your justification.
Or, maybe, I'm just a cheap bastard that doesn't like being told what to do and then charged for the privilege. And certainly these things should be fought before they happen. But, once they happen then we all get to choose how we handle it.

#175357 - 02/26/13 03:15 PM Re: Backpacking & Politic [Re: rionada]
ETSU Pride Offline

Originally Posted By rionada
Maybe it's just me. But, if you stay off trail and away from the developed areas then:
1) You are not utilizing any of the "amenities" that they're charging for.
2) You can then justify not paying.
3) You're unlikely to get caught in acting on your justification.
Or, maybe, I'm just a cheap bastard that doesn't like being told what to do and then charged for the privilege. And certainly these things should be fought before they happen. But, once they happen then we all get to choose how we handle it.

The only amenity you are using when backpacking is the reservation system. I was originally against the fee when it first came to my attention. Now, I don't mind it. Last time I went backpacking I had to call the Backcountry Office 4 times just to get in touch with someone to secure a permit. The time before that I had to call 2 times. The fee brought access to reservation and trip planning 24/7. I can now see how many people will be at certain campsites when I'm making plan, which is convenience if I want to find a campsite to be alone for a weekend. I'm hardly ever backpacking for more than two nights, so two night of backpacking in the Smokies is a lot cheaper than frontcountry camping when I go on mountain biking trips.

The public process for this fee has been going on since 2011, a local mountain guide business actually supported it. I met those business owners, and they told me in person on why they were for it leading up to the final decision by the officials at the park.

And beside, if you live within the Smokies' border, there are so much more places to go backpacking that make you forget all about..wait, what was that national park called that I was talking about? grin

Edited by ETSU Pride (02/26/13 03:16 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 328 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum