Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137870 - 08/21/10 08:17 AM How much fuel?
marcinont Offline

Loc: LONDON,ON,CANADA
I am going on the silloutte trail(Killarney,ON.) in mid september for 8 days .I will be using a snow peak gigi power stove to mainly boil water in my snowpeak 700 pot for 2 hot (just add water) meals a day .My question is aprox. how many 8 oz msr isopro fuel canisters would you recommend?
Thanks
Marcinont.

#137871 - 08/21/10 09:14 AM Re: How much fuel? [Re: marcinont]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I use about an ounce of fuel per day or a bit less. In the morning, I boil 12 oz of water for coffee, 8 oz for tea and 8 oz for hot chocolate. At dinner, I boil about a cup for hot soup and about a pint for re-hydrating my dinner.

Often I will also warm a small amount of water to clean the residue from my MSR Titan. I don't use freezer bags for cooking; on long trips, the weight adds up. Three of them weigh a bit over an ounce. I use Baggies (0.04 oz) and cook in my pot; the weight savings is, to me, worth the minor added work.

I am careful to shut the stove off when the water boils and never boil more than the exact amount of water I need for the purpose. I use a good wind screen but do not allow the canister to get hot.

#137873 - 08/21/10 11:08 AM Re: How much fuel? [Re: Pika]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
There are two of us, so that changes the equation a bit, but we find that one 8 oz. fuel canister lasts us for just about a week. And like Pika. we don't cook things, we just rehydrate with boiling water, and we do that for oatmeal in the morning and a freeze dried dinner at night. And we turn the stove off as soon as the water boils...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#137875 - 08/21/10 11:19 AM Re: How much fuel? [Re: marcinont]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
It would appear you will be boiling approx 500 to 600 ml twice a day. Since you are unlikely to need to cook supper on the last day, that makes 15 meals. In my experience, this would require almost exactly one 8 oz. canister, but my stove use differs somewhat from what you describe; I tend to simmer my meal for a time after bringin the water to a boil.

If you are truly just bringing the water to a boil and shutting the stove off immediately then it seems very likely you can get away with one canister and save the weight of a second one.

Whether or not you use a windscreen can affect your rate of fuel use. Anything more than a very mild breeze will reduce your stove's efficiency, if you do not shield it. I do use a windscreen and recommend using one.

Since your scenario is approaching the borderline case, you may want to consider the weather conditions and how easily you could build a fire if adverse conditions came up. If bad weather (cold, wet) is a consideration, then having a cushion of some extra fuel can be helpful. Even then, I would say a second 8 oz. canister would be overkill. A 4 oz. backup should be plenty.

Edit: If you put a gun to my head and forced me to stop equivocating, I'd just say take one canister and live with the small chance of running out of fuel for your last day's meal.

Edited by aimless (08/21/10 11:50 AM)
Edit Reason: trying to be less non-commital

#137878 - 08/21/10 11:52 AM Re: How much fuel? [Re: Pika]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I forgot to mention that if my fuel calculations are a bit on the close side, I will take along a CAT alcohol stove and a 4 oz bottle of alcohol fuel as a lightweight backup. If you take Everclear as fuel and your cartridge seems to be holding up, you can always make cocktails.

#137880 - 08/21/10 12:40 PM Re: How much fuel? [Re: Pika]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
EDIT--Oops, I always do this--hit "reply" after the last post. This is really a reply to the Original Poster!

Test the stove outdoors at home. Weigh the canister first and record the weight. Put the amount of water you normally heat up for a meal in your pot. Be sure it's cold water; I use water that has been in my refrigerator. Do this on a day with some breeze if you can. Bring it to a boil. Then weigh the canister again. This will give you a pretty close approximation of how much fuel you will use per boil.

Check the label on your fuel canister; it should tell you the net weight (weight of fuel) and gross weight (weight of fuel plus the canister). A little division will tell you how many boils you will get out of a full canister. I always allow for an extra boil--I might want more hot tea if the weather gets really cold and nasty. I also want to allow for knocking the pot over at least once per long trip. On the other hand, if you're going to be where campfires are legal the last day or two of your trip, it's no big deal if you run out.

I boil only once a day (I eat a cold breakfast). If I take at least one non-cook meal, I can manage 8-9 days out of a small (4-oz.) MSR canister. I take a large one if I'm going to be fishing (at least hoping that I'll get a couple of chances to cook fish!). I wouldn't suggest anyone's trying that without testing for their own needs!

Great care needs to be taken when using a windscreen with a canister stove. Check frequently to be sure the canister isn't overheating. A bomb going off in your face would not be pretty! I have one that goes only 3/4 of the way around the pot, but I still check the cartridge frequently.

Edited by OregonMouse (08/21/10 12:49 PM)

#137892 - 08/21/10 04:00 PM Re: How much fuel? [Re: marcinont]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Since you haven't got experience on usage yet, I'd suggest that you take a large (8 oz.) canister, plus a second canister just in case.

After you have some experience with the usage, you'll have a better basis for making your own decisions about whether the second canister (or a smaller second canister) is necessary.

#137898 - 08/21/10 07:12 PM Re: How much fuel? [Re: Glenn]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Some tips you may want to consider.
Most stoves will use about 30% less fuel to boil the same amount if used at about half power . (mostly because at full power the heat is lost up the sides)
A large bottom pot is more efficient than a narrow one.
You do mot need to get a roaring boil for tea/coffee/chocolate. When you see a few bubbles that is hot enough.
(that is if you do not need to purify your water)

Franco

#137908 - 08/22/10 12:39 AM Re: How much fuel? [Re: marcinont]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
m
I see you are a newbie, welcome. You may have a great deal of experience, but if you did you wouldn't be asking this question. Though your intent is to do minimal cooking, without experience at it, plus maybe you underestimate your need for hot drinks, and perhaps you should double your minimum at first to try it out. I drink coffee, so I have gone thorugh a cannister per day in warm weather alone.
Jim

#137913 - 08/22/10 09:54 AM Re: How much fuel? [Re: Jimshaw]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Jim speaks the truth. That's a lot of coffee though jim. smile

Anyway, I would add that an 8-day trip with new gear is probably not the most advisable recommendation. I would suggest a 2-3 day (max) trip with the new stove to see how it works for you under real conditions. from there you will see how much *you* use for your meals and can then make an informed decision. Absent the shakedown trip, I concur with Jim... take double.

#137922 - 08/22/10 09:12 PM Re: How much fuel? [Re: Pika]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Pika

Are you cooking out of a bulk store of food? How do you set up those menus?

Steadman

#137923 - 08/22/10 09:39 PM Re: How much fuel? [Re: marcinont]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
This question is sort of like the ones asking how much water to carry or how much food to bring. All are very difficult to answer accurately due to the large number of variables.

The answer to your question depends on the ambient air temperature, the temperature of the water when you start, the volume of water your meals require, the wind speed (if any) when you heat the water, the boiling point for water at your altitude, the efficiency of your pot, and I'm sure I'm leaving out one or more.

If I had to give you an answer it would be three. But maybe you'll only need one. It is impossible for anyone here to tell you how much fuel you will consume. Better to have too much than not enough.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum