Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132666 - 04/25/10 09:26 AM AT Springer to Franklin, NC Section Hike
Will King Offline

Loc: A city near you
I'm planning from Springer Mountain to Franklin, NC or thereabouts and would like to offer my itinerary.

This Wednesday: Get off work at noon; fly out of BWI 6:30pm arrive ATL 11:50pm. Check into Hilton Airport. I've been advised that there are cheaper hotels at the North Springs MARTA (Atlanta's public transportation train system) Station (where most [all?] shuttles pick up for Springer) but I had a free night at Hilton so I figured I'd stay as close to the airport as possible.

Thursday: Wake up, eat, and take the MARTA to North Springs Station. Meet Dave of Survivor Dave's Shuttles at 10am to take me to Springer. Dave's rate is $110 which includes fuel for my stove and he's taking me to where USFS 42 intersects with the AT. At that point its a 1 mile hike south to the trailhead at Springer.

From this point I figure I'll hike as many miles per day as I feel comfortable with stopping when I get tired. I've got a tarp for cover so I don't have to stop at shelters. I'm not really sure what my pack weighs as I'm experimenting with some new lightweight gear (tarp, Snowpeak Gigapower stove, just enough clothing to make me feel safe for the weather).

Food will be mostly quinoa, a grainlike seed which I plan on presoaking as I hike and simmering with some dried and/or canned food. I'm trying to eat healthy on the trail and stay away from the ubiquitous mac n' cheese, pasta, etc. We'll see how it goes. I mailed about half my food to myself c/o Mountain Crossings about thirty miles north of Springer. They also have a store with food, fuel, etc. on the trail.

I've given myself about ten days to make it to Franklin and my Dad will drive up from the coast to pick me up. I plan on calling him when I'm a couple of days away to finalize our plan. If I make really good time I may try to push on to Fontana Dam and get picked up there. It's really nice not to have a firm deadline as I don't have to be back at work for another week or so after I finish my hike.

I'd love for people to comment on my plan, gear, schedule, or anything else. I'll post again after I'm done. Thanks!

Will

#132816 - 04/27/10 10:34 PM Re: AT Springer to Franklin, NC Section Hike [Re: Will King]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

Plan sounds fine. Post your gear list and you bet we'll comment. It's what we do. smile

#133655 - 05/13/10 01:53 PM Re: AT Springer to Franklin, NC Section Hike [Re: Tango61]
MarkNM Offline

Loc: Pompton Lakes, NJ
I read somewhere that you had to camp at the shelters? which sorta of limited some of my days...as i'm basically planning the same section you are...my goal is at least to finish gergia, but have ample time as well...

if we don't need to camp at the shelters that will change my trip as well, as some days i'd be stopping early at one shelter do to the fact the next was too far...

let me know!

#133684 - 05/13/10 09:06 PM Re: AT Springer to Franklin, NC Section Hike [Re: MarkNM]
Bearpaw Offline

Loc: Tennessee
The requirement to stay at shelters only applies to Great Smoky Mountains National Park. On the section you're looking at, you can camp just about any where you wish.

#134734 - 06/05/10 09:21 AM Re: AT Springer to Franklin, NC Section Hike [Re: Will King]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I really liked using the Hiker Hostel as a package deal to get from the Atlanta Airport to Springer (or Amicalola) with fuel provided and a stay in their hostel and breakfast ..., I think their $70 "thru-hiker special" is a great deal.

If you start in reasonable shape and your gear weight isn't too bad, then 10 days to Franklin seems reasonable to me --- I started from Amicalola falls on Feb 25th and got into Franklin on the morning of March 6th this year, i.e., 10 days, and that included a Nero in Hiawassee along the way. But what seems reasonable to one person might seem pretty slow or pretty fast to others, "YMMV" ... !

For just 10 days I personally wouldn't worry about avoiding particular foods; Mac n' Cheese etc are pretty lightweight options (are you seriously bringing canned food?!?).
I also don't see the point of mailing food to Mountain Crossings when they sell food there, but each to their own on that sort of thing.

Edited by BrianLe (06/05/10 09:22 AM)

#136614 - 07/21/10 01:28 PM Re: AT Springer to Franklin, NC Section Hike [Re: BrianLe]
MarkNM Offline

Loc: Pompton Lakes, NJ
I'm more or less doing the same section...figure around 10 miles a day at an easy pace, maybe some night hikes if i feel up to, has me near franklin or at least over NC by some degree...

I've done all the planning i possibly could with one final major bit...transportation logistics...I wanted to drive myself but am having a hard time figuring out where I can SAFELY park my car, and get shuttled to the beginning and then back to where my car is

any suggestions? Should i forget it and just try to take a bus or something? i was hoping to save cash, but am worried i'll be stranded 90 miles away from my car and or having it get broken into...thanks in advance.

#137858 - 08/20/10 08:57 PM Re: AT Springer to Franklin, NC Section Hike [Re: Will King]
Will King Offline

Well, I finished my hike and figured I'd write about it a bit.

Getting to the trail was a breeze. "Survivor Dave" was right on time and a couple of hours later I was setting off from Springer. I averaged about eighteen to twenty miles a day with a pack that weighed around fifteen pounds without food and water. Before I set out, I posted a gear list on the "Lite Gear Talk" forum so I'll probably post a reply with a final list. Suffice it to say, I mailed some stuff home at Mountain Crossings.

I started off thinking I would eat quinoa for most of my meals. This got real old almost immediately. At Mountain Crossings I got some Mountain House dinners and had those every night for the rest of my hike. Delicious. Lunches were tuna or chicken from a pack on a tortilla. These got old too so I'm still trying to figure out what to eat on my next hike. Breakfast was quinoa with dehydrated fruit which I hated by the end. I sent all my canned food home at Mountain Crossings.

Overall it was a lovely experience. After doing some AT hiking as a teenager with a 40-50 pound pack, I am still amazed at how much more I enjoyed the hiking with a lightweight pack. I think there's some kind of exponential relationship between decrease in pack weight and increase of enjoyment.

I ended up setting up my tarp near shelters but not staying in the shelter unless the weather was going to be really bad. I enjoyed the companionship of the people I met at the shelters, but actually staying in the shelters I didn't like. It seemed like there was always someone snoring, getting up in the night to pee, or making noise in some other way. I guess that's part of the shelter experience. The one time I had a shelter all to myself, the critters kept me up. The best night's sleep I had was about fifty yards from the shelter under my tarp. I also liked sleeping near a water source which most of the shelters had.

Thanks again!

Will

Edited by Will King (08/20/10 09:06 PM)

#137859 - 08/20/10 09:03 PM Re: AT Springer to Franklin, NC Section Hike [Re: MarkNM]
Will King Offline

I ended up setting up my tarp near shelters but not staying in the shelter unless the weather was going to be really bad. I enjoyed the companionship of the people I met at the shelters, but actually staying in the shelters I didn't like. It seemed like there was always someone snoring, getting up in the night to pee, or making noise in some other way. I guess that's part of the shelter experience. The one time I had a shelter all to myself, the critters kept me up. The best night's sleep I had was about fifty yards from the shelter under my tarp. I also liked sleeping near a water source which most of the shelters had.

Will

#137860 - 08/20/10 09:07 PM Re: AT Springer to Franklin, NC Section Hike [Re: Will King]
Will King Offline

Sorry about the repitition. Still trying to figure out how to post.

Will

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum