First off, just a quick hello to everyone being this is my first post. But my real intention of this post is to get input on my summer trip. I have spent many a (long) weekend camping and hiking over the years, but due to my proximity to the AT, it pretty much can all be described as the typical "green tunnel," the exception being one trip to Saskatchewan when I was younger.

However, because of my new job, I finally have the ability to take long vacations. My plan is to take a week to backpack in Yosemite, the issue being that I really don't have any first hand knowledge of the trails. I don't know anyone personally that has done anything but a day hike there. I'm planning on getting a wilderness permit for either July (after the 4th, of course) or August. Pictures and articles are nice and everything, but nothing beats getting information from people who have actually been there.

I would just like some advice as to what trail heads I should apply for to be able to include Half Dome (the NPS site states something about "appropriately" planning in Half Dome in my request so I can get a permit for it too) and what other places people really feel are a must see. I know I could come up with an itinerary by myself, but I'm not above asking for help.