Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117100 - 06/10/09 01:37 PM Pinhoti Trail, June 5-7, 2009
Bearpaw Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Friday, June 5, 2009

I stepped off from the US-431 trailhead heading southwest on Friday afternoon. I had planned on hiking this section in March, but bronchitis forced me off at Porter’s Gap. I was now set to make up some or all of the miles I had left behind in March.

I was immediately glad I had chosen to wear lightweight long pants. Summer foliage was out.

But the trail itself was still smooth and largely clear of blowdowns. I enjoyed not only the well-worn trail, clearly marked with blue blazes, but also the many older turkey track blazes of the early Pinhoti.

I made quick time up the mild hills, enjoying the stop at a gorgeous waterfall.

I pushed on, crossing CR-24 and heading on to Friendship Campsite. It was a nice spot where you could tuck away 4 or 5 tents easily. The creek was a clear water source that sang me to sleep quickly in the evening.

#117101 - 06/10/09 01:40 PM Pinhoti Day 2 [Re: Bearpaw]
Bearpaw Offline

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Saturday dawned clear and noticeably warmer than the previous overcast day. By the time I had walked just three miles I was sweatier than I had been the previous day, despite the ease of the first mile of travel on an old smooth roadbed.

I continued moving along, enjoying water stops at creeks and streams, and stopping to check out an old truck hull that looked to have been left alongside the trail decades ago.

By the afternoon, the heat was kicking in as I began the 1200 foot climb to the main ridgeline adjoining Cheaha Mountain and State Park. I took my time, stopping for a few moments frequently and cooling off. I was happy to note that despite the heat and climbing, my lungs were doing fine. Still, despite drinking more than a gallon of water already this day, I was pushing sweat out of my body like a hydraulic pump.

When I reached the intersection to the Bald Rock Trail into Cheaha State Park, I knew I was done climbing for the day and close to home.

A ¼ mile later, I dropped my pack at Blue Mountain Shelter.

I headed back down the trail to gather water at the happily flowing spring and returned to set up my hammock near the shelter.

Graffiti and register entries mentioned the shelter was “spooked”, and that strange noises could be heard at night. It was another of many reasons I was glad to camp near the amenities of a shelter, while still enjoying the comfort of my hammock. Dinner was excellent (Chicken and stuffing with gravy) as I enjoyed a pleasant kitchen and dining room.

Due to the higher altitude, the evening cool sank below me and I slept a bit warm in my hammock, but still I enjoyed hearing hickory nuts drop to the ground and squirrels run about and I wondered if these accounted for some of the “spooked” noises as I drifted to sleep.

#117102 - 06/10/09 01:44 PM Pinhoti Day 3 [Re: Bearpaw]
Bearpaw Offline

Sunday, June 7, 2009

This morning I had to make a choice. I had already set up a possible pick-up with my wife (she was staying with her parents who lived just a little over an hour away) at Cheaha State Park. Or I could continue on to Porter’s Gap another 29 miles up the trail.

I stepped off, backtracking up to the Bald Rock Trail to enter the Park. I had already decided to “blue blaze” around the official Pinhoti Trail and walk through Cheaha State Park to see Bald Rock and stand on Cheaha Mountain, Alabama’s high point, which the Pinhoti bypasses. I encountered a rattlesnake in the first few steps, still coiled and resting, which barely seemed to notice me.

I headed up the ridge to Bald Rock. After a rocky climb, I was surprised to see a full boardwalk accessing the level ridgetop.

The view from Bald Rock was one the nicest I have seen any where in the south.

At this point, I decided to call my wife and join her at her parents. I wanted to share this view with her and decided that would bea much more pleasant way to spend the day than hiking the ridgeline in the ever-increasing heat and humidity.

As I headed down from Bald Rock, I also stopped at the firetower on top of Cheaha Mountain. It is very similar to the one on top of Flagg Mountain, the official beginning of the Pinhoti trail 80 miles further southwest. Unlike the Flagg Mountain tower, it was unlocked to provide 360 views.

It is officially recognized as Alabama’s high point.

From there I headed downhill to the camp store, where I grabbed a soda and waited for my ride home.

#117193 - 06/12/09 04:11 PM Re: Pinhoti Day 3 [Re: Bearpaw]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
So Green! nice looking trip!
Browse my pictures

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum