Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198666 - 07/05/17 08:29 PM Grand Staircase Escalante, Eastern San Juan River
Ningishzidda Offline

Loc: Washington
I am planning a trip to Grand Staircase Escalante, for August,, 2-3 days I am looking for a partner or two or three to go out there. Dogs and Kids are fine, but please make sure they are old enough and experienced enough to hike up to 6 miles in the desert with a backpack, and no aggressive dogs. I will be travelling from Gallup, NM and will be going up a road by vehicle, then offroad through a very small part of Navajo Nation land and onto Federal Land (San Juan River banks) I have Navajo Nation access permission due to being a relative. The location I am going to is on Federal Land, but, the road that leads to the location I am visiting is on Navajo land.

So, we will go up that trail, hike in about 3 miles to the location and camp on the San Juan River. I don't care what you want to do, if you are hunting or fishing, fine, as long as it is legal. Certainly Navajo Nation permits are inexpensive. I only bring my rifle for protection.

I also have an interest in securing some clay from the river area for art purposes which I am acquiring a permit for.

The location is north of Monitor Butte (not central Utah, Southern), off of sjc rd 423

This is an unusual trip, and, perhaps a bit off the beaten track, but it is very secluded I'm sure, and there is the river to cool off in.

A little about me:

I am an artist, interested in stargazing and science. I don't care if you're religious or atheist, just no iconoclasts or proselytizers please. It's okay if you want to talk about theology. I am a talkative person, so you should know that and not be annoyed about it. Both my parents are pipe carriers so if you are interested in aspects of American Indian ritual belief I can tell you more about that.

I have extensive experience in Northern Idaho wilderness, Washington Pacific Northwest advanced trail systems, light Pacific Northwest Washington wilderness, extensive Eastern Washington wilderness navigation.

I have no experience with desert hiking, but I do live here and know the climate and the challenges of the altitude and dryness.

360-688-1242

Edited by Ningishzidda (07/05/17 08:34 PM)

#198726 - 07/11/17 05:24 PM Re: Grand Staircase Escalante, Eastern San Juan River [Re: Ningishzidda]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
The San Jaun doesnt run through the Grand Staircase, the Escalante river does and none of it is on Navajo reservation. The San Jaun is. You need a backcountry permit for the San Juan and anything around Cedar Mesa.

I am a regular backpacker to southern Utah. I know about almost every canyon there. You are going in August which is still Monsoon season which means flash floods which can mean death. Do your research before even attempting a southern Utah backpacking trip. Canyon hiking is a whole other monster compared to mountain hiking. Without any experience I wouldn't venture off without someone who knows the area. A GPS isnt going to help you in a canyon. If your map reading skills are not top notch then you have no business in any of the back country in Southern Utah. I cant stress this enough.

The San Juan flows into Lake Powell and runs through parts of Glen Canyon National Recreational on the eastern side. On the western side of Glen Canyon is the border of The Grand Staircase.

Edited by toddfw2003 (07/11/17 05:56 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum