Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195521 - 05/27/16 07:02 PM Germany August backcountry or hut suggestion?
41253 Offline

I'll be flying into Frankfurt in late August will then make my way by train to Leipzig with a few days to kill. I can't rent a car because I'm leaving from Leipzig and one-way drops look expensive. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a stop not to far out of the way where one could hike at least a few miles, overnight, and get back on the train. A quick look at Germany hut hiking mostly returns hits on Alps but I'm wondering if there's something interesting that's do-able in that part of the country. I certainly see lot's of green spots on Google Maps.

Ideas?
Thanks!

#195522 - 05/27/16 07:28 PM Re: Germany August backcountry or hut suggestion? [Re: 41253]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
You could hike over to St. Thomas Church to see if Johann Sebastian Bach is there, de-composing!
laugh

Edited by balzaccom (05/27/16 07:33 PM)

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#195523 - 05/27/16 08:28 PM Re: Germany August backcountry or hut suggestion? [Re: balzaccom]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Rent a car in Leipzig and drive to the Harz Mountains. You can ascend the Brocken, the highest peak, via an old-fashioned steam train or hike the trail, your choice. Of course it's long past Walpurgisnacht (when you don't want to be there anyway since it's a drunken party, with tons of trash left behind when I went up on May 3), but consider reading that part of Goethe's Faust to get into the mood. Plus, there's lots of info in this wikipedia artlcle with links to trail info.

Eisenach, where I stayed overnight after visiting the Brocken, is the home of the Wartburg Castle, the home of St. Elizabeth in the 13th century and where Luther hid out after the Diet of Worms and translated the Bible into German (the basis for the modern German language). Johann Sebastian Bach was also born in Eisenach. If you don't want tor rent a car, it's still worth a stop on the railroad between Frankfurt and Leipzig, and you'll get plenty of exercise hiking up to the castle.

For me, this trip (RT from Leipzig) was part of visiting the Martin Luther sites (Wittenberg, Eisleben, Eisenach), so if you have interest in the Reformation (500th anniversaryy coming up next year, so this year is a better time to visit) that might be worthwhile)

Do expect plenty of delays on the Autobahn! If you try to schedule too closely, a stau (traffic jam lasting hours ) is inevitable!

If you're at all into Bach, the Thomaskirche in Leipzig (his grave is in the sanctuary, so he really is decomposing there laugh ) is a must. If you can catch a concert with the Thomanerchor, so much the better.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/27/16 08:49 PM)

#195524 - 05/27/16 09:13 PM Re: Germany August backcountry or hut suggestion? [Re: OregonMouse]
41253 Offline

Bach, not so much, but Luther definitely (although I'm partial to Huss via Zinzendorf). You've reminded me that this trip should be more about history than hiking but I still want to try to spend one night sleeping rough if at all possible. Thanks for the Harz Mtn tip.

#195528 - 05/28/16 10:27 AM Re: Germany August backcountry or hut suggestion? [Re: 41253]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
OM's suggestions sound great. My "hiking" experiences in Germany were all in the Army, so not exactly normal ...

I believe there are day hikes available out of Frankfurt in the Taunus mountains, and I think even via public transport if you're disinclined to rent a car (?). A web search would likely turn up something.

Not a hiking thing, but one of my favorite places in Germany is there --- IF you're into history, and particularly ancient history. A roman fort, partly reconstructed, near Bad Homburg, called Saalburg. I saw that literally decades ago and the impression remains.

#195531 - 05/28/16 02:50 PM Re: Germany August backcountry or hut suggestion? [Re: BrianLe]
41253 Offline

Saalburg looks interesting, I love any old ruins anywhere and the Romans really did it right. It looks as though day hikes are plentiful and probably a better use of time, maybe with a little history to go with them.

A little more searching turned up: http://www.walk-in-europe.com/germany/top-trails/map/ which suggests a Rennstig Trail near Eisenach, on the train route I think. It's supposed to be an ancient trading route so there'll be some history value. The site also says it's served by public transportation. I don't know about camping but it's a long trail so there must be some sort of rustic accomodation.

I'll pick up a car in Leipzig and then we're heading south into the Alps so there will be plenty of hiking and huts there, but at that point I won't want to park overnight at any remote trailheads. As built-up and institutionalized as that area of the world is there's probably valet garage parking at the hiking trails.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum