Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193691 - 02/16/16 01:03 PM Mission Abort: Cooper Canyon, Angeles NF
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Was planning on heading into the Sespe Condor Sanctuary (on the one legal trail) this past weekend, but the weather report said it was going to be in the 90's. Blech.. not the spring out and back backpacking trip we were planning.

Did some quick research for some higher elevation trails and decided to take my kids to Cooper Canyon Trail Camp (along the PCT) in the Angeles National Forest. A little over 2 mile hike to a campsite at 6000 ft. I called up the ranger station and asked about trail conditions. She said there was water in the creek and there won't be any snow since it hasn't snowed in weeks. Sounds good... off we went Saturday morning.

Got to the campground with the trailhead and it was shut down for the season and completely snowed.... hmmmm.... Well, maybe the snow clears up on the trail? About a mile or so in of slipping and sliding, my 7 y.o. son fell and hurt his finger and was pretty inconsolable. We stopped for lunch and my buddy went ahead to scout trail conditions. He said one more big snow field and looks to clear up. We crept through that and we're off. About a half mile or so farther a guy who passed us on the way in was coming out and said, "it's a bit harry up there." I stopped with the kids and my buddy went off without his pack to check it out. He came back a bit later and said, "we're not getting through... there are four college kids up there clinging to iced in cliffs." Well, we were not passing that with a 4 y.o., a 7 y.o. and two heavy packs.

We burned through most of our backpacking treats coercing them to hike back out and then roasted some hotdogs in the shutdown campground before driving home. We were a bit disappointed, but it was a nice day hike with resistance training!

#193718 - 02/17/16 06:01 PM Re: Mission Abort: Cooper Canyon, Angeles NF [Re: BZH]
bluefish Offline

Glad you got out safely with the kids, but sorry you didn't get a full trip in. The hair raises on the back of my neck every time I hear "Condor Sanctuary", "Sespe", or even "Los Padres". Having had meth heads at a trailhead level a rifle at me has slightly soured me on the area. We did get to see with binoculars a pair of those amazing birds riding some thermals. Found really fresh cat tracks, too. I hope my follow up with the LPNF Forest Supervisor and other law enforcement agencies had at least the result of some increased patrols.

#193789 - 02/22/16 06:17 PM Re: Mission Abort: Cooper Canyon, Angeles NF [Re: BZH]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Quote:
I called up the ranger station and asked about trail conditions ... Got to the campground with the trailhead and it was shut down for the season and completely snowed.... hmmmm....

That just irks me. If you don't know the answer then find it or say you don't know, but you never send someone off on trip like she did you.

Honestly, I think that entire gov dept needs to have it's ass kicked. For as much as we spend the actual number of boots on the ground that really do anything is insanely low.

"You want to go where?"

#193793 - 02/22/16 08:04 PM Re: Mission Abort: Cooper Canyon, Angeles NF [Re: billstephenson]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By billstephenson
Quote:
I called up the ranger station and asked about trail conditions ... Got to the campground with the trailhead and it was shut down for the season and completely snowed.... hmmmm....

That just irks me. If you don't know the answer then find it or say you don't know, but you never send someone off on trip like she did you.

Yeah. What I have found when calling ranger stations is that they spend the 20-30 seconds of the conversation deciding if you are an adventurous person who can handle the difficulties nature throws at you. If they decide you are, they just tell you to go for it. If they think you don't know what you are doing then they will try to discourage you. I seem to get one response or the other and never anything in between.

#193795 - 02/22/16 09:14 PM Re: Mission Abort: Cooper Canyon, Angeles NF [Re: BZH]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Reminds me of the time (back in 1988) that I was supposed to lead a trip in the WA Cascades (in a lower elevation valley) in early May. When I called the weekend before, the lady at the ranger station said it was still solid snow up there. I didn't believe that, so we went anyway. Yes, the ground was solid white, but the white was avalanche lilies in full bloom! We didn't see a speck of snow but we certainly enjoyed the floral display!

Ask to speak to a backcountry ranger or to someone who has recently been there. You may have to wait for them to call you back. Some USFS ranger districts are better about this than others. Some (I'm thinking of the recreation phone line for the Wallowa-Whitman NF/Hells Canyon NRA in Oregon) are completely useless.

You can also find out snow levels from NWS reports and from Snotels if there are any of the latter in the vicinity or at a similar altitude.

At least you found lots of snow, which you folks badly need!

#193807 - 02/23/16 02:16 PM Re: Mission Abort: Cooper Canyon, Angeles NF [Re: billstephenson]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
My last overnight was in a state park. The rangers there told me both over the phone and in person that there was spigot in the primitive camping area, but no one mentioned that the water had been turned off for winter.

#193819 - 02/24/16 08:38 AM Re: Mission Abort: Cooper Canyon, Angeles NF [Re: 4evrplan]
bluefish Offline

Originally Posted By 4evrplan
My last overnight was in a state park. The rangers there told me both over the phone and in person that there was spigot in the primitive camping area, but no one mentioned that the water had been turned off for winter.

If there wasn't another water source available, that's just plain criminal!

#193860 - 02/25/16 09:46 AM Re: Mission Abort: Cooper Canyon, Angeles NF [Re: bluefish]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Originally Posted By bluefish
Originally Posted By 4evrplan

If there wasn't another water source available, that's just plain criminal!

There wasn't.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum