I work at home, so have a lot of time to experiment. In the morning, I've grown to enjoy sitting out on my deck and cooking my oatmeal or other grain hot cereal with fixins added while other people are rushing off to work. I also play with different ways of using the Svea stove and have learned to use only 2 or 3 grams of white gas for each meal.

In my cupboard, there are about 20 Mason Jars with various dry ingredients for meals. My trail snacks at home are usually some mixture of nuts, raisins, dehydrated bananas, chips or whatever will fit in about half of my little 2 cup pot.

We cook fancy for lunch and supper as I also enjoy gourmet cooking. But sometime during the day, I'll go out on the deck and cook one of my lunch or supper recipes or test something new.

The calories say I should be gaining weight. I eat 5-6,000 calories a day. (I was shocked when I tracked that.) But I'm losing weight. I've lost about 20 pounds in the last 6 weeks I needed to lose with high energy and no hunger. Maybe instead of great trail food, I've discovered a great diet plan.