Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201017 - 05/21/18 06:52 AM Ova Easy eggs
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
I want to try powdered eggs again to see it they are better than the last time I tried them. I have heard good things about Ova Easy so I bought some. Now I am wondering if they can be prepared using Boil In Bag method instead of getting a pan dirty. Has anyone used Ova Easy and how did you prepare them? Were they any good?

#201021 - 05/21/18 01:20 PM Re: Ova Easy eggs [Re: GrumpyGord]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
The answer to your question is as close as your Ova Easy egg mix, a bag in which to boil some reconstituted eggs, and a pan of boiling water!

To be honest, I understand your reluctance to open a package that probably contains more egg mix than you want to eat immediately, and is more expensive than fresh eggs, just so you can prepare and eat an experiment at home. I'm sorry I can't supply the info you're seeking. sorry

The last time I tried powdered eggs on a backpack was in 2003. They weren't Ova Easy brand. I decided they were more trouble than they were worth, but the idea of using the 'boil-in-a-bag' method sounds intriguing and far less trouble than cooking them directly in a pan that must be cleaned afterward. If you do try the experiment at home, let us know how it worked for you. grin

#201022 - 05/21/18 01:43 PM Re: Ova Easy eggs [Re: aimless]

That is exactly what I am trying to avoid. The package contains 12 eggs so it is at least 3 or 4 meals and costs $9. I am hoping to answer the question without opening the package before I am ready to use them.

Originally Posted By aimless

To be honest, I understand your reluctance to open a package that probably contains more egg mix than you want to eat immediately, and is more expensive than fresh eggs, just so you can prepare and eat an experiment at home.

#201023 - 05/21/18 02:22 PM Re: Ova Easy eggs [Re: GrumpyGord]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
I've never used them, but the following site would say yes:

http://honeyvillefarms.blogspot.com/2012/04/omelet-in-bag-recipe.html

#201024 - 05/21/18 02:28 PM Re: Ova Easy eggs [Re: JustWalking]

Thank you. That seems to indicate that it would work well. I am thinking that I would just put the egg mix in a bag along with some cheese and boil it. I would assume that I could use the boiled water for making coffee so it would not really be any more work than the usual oatmeal.

#201031 - 05/22/18 10:59 AM Re: Ova Easy eggs [Re: GrumpyGord]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I haven't tried, but I have opened my bag of ova easy eggs. I use it as a mix-in with baked goods. I keep the bag clipped shut in a Ziploc bag in my freezer. I haven't noticed a degradation in the product over the past year (maybe two...).

I will say, I think the advantage to cooking them in a pan is you can get the moisture content to your liking. You run a risk of ending up with egg soup using this method. I notice the blog post added in dried veggies. I wonder what role that played in getting the moisture content right.

#201034 - 05/22/18 12:32 PM Re: Ova Easy eggs [Re: BZH]

Originally Posted By BZH

I will say, I think the advantage to cooking them in a pan is you can get the moisture content to your liking. You run a risk of ending up with egg soup using this method. I notice the blog post added in dried veggies. I wonder what role that played in getting the moisture content right.

I had not thought about that but cooking in a pan would boil off moisture. I would think that you would rehydrate the eggs before boiling so you could start off with less than the specified amount and add more if it was needed. For at least the first time you would not want to do it on a morning when you were in a hurry.

#201035 - 05/22/18 01:36 PM Re: Ova Easy eggs [Re: GrumpyGord]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
To me, the whole idea of dried eggs is repugnant, as is the idea of taking the time (and fuel weight) to heat up anything in the morning. To me it's cold Bob's Red Mill muesli, a few extra chopped nuts, freeze-dried berries (or fresh wild huckleberries), dried milk, a teaspoon of Medaglia d'Oro instant espresso (overcomes the dried milk flavor) in a plastic bag. Add cold water and eat a delicious breakfast out of the bag, nothing to wash but the spoon. It's what I eat at home, too (although with fresh milk or yogurt, fresh or partially defrosted frozen fruit, and I do heat coffee with milk in the microwave).

But to each his own, HYOH, YMMGV, and all that--I'm only stating an alternative that saves time and weight, and, at least for me, is both delicious and familiar!

#201050 - 05/26/18 06:21 AM Re: Ova Easy eggs [Re: GrumpyGord]
bluefish Offline

We've had the ova easy eggs on the trail quite a few times. Never for breakfast. I don't mind a little fuss for dinner, and add in cheese,re-hydrated veggies, spices, and pre-cooked bacon. Sometimes use a tortilla for a wrap. A number of times I've adjusted the moisture content a little. Since you have to stir them to make scrambled eggs, I don't see them being very palatable in a bag. I cook them in the bottom of my pot with olive oil. After they are mixed , they act similarly to real eggs that have been beaten. To tell the truth, they are gradually falling off our food list, as we've made quite a few dehydrated meals that are gourmet quality and the eggs aren't. I'd try just making one egg out of 2 tablespoons in a bag. You'd still have 11 eggs left. They store well, by the way.

#201057 - 06/02/18 12:35 PM Re: Ova Easy eggs [Re: GrumpyGord]

OK Finally just went ahead and did it. Even used my Snow Peak stove and TI pan. I put powder for three eggs in a bag and boiled it. Not too bad. I should have used two eggs instead of thee because it took quite a while to get the center done and I had to be careful to not let the bag touch the sides of the pot. Boiled it for about 10 minutes. If I were to do it on a backpacking trip I would take something like English Muffins and not try to eat out of the bag. The result is that it would work OK in the field but I would do it on relaxed trips because it is kind of fussy.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 172 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum