Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#135273 - 06/18/10 01:59 PM Hiking foods for diabetics
HikerJoe Offline

Loc: Indiana, USA
Hey everyone, I was just diagnosed with type two diabetes. Since my backpacking menues are high in carbohydrates, I need to find alternatives. Any suggestions? At home I am eating more proteins and more green-leafy vegetables but those are hard to take backpacking. Can you dehydrate a steak?

Edited by HikerJoe (06/18/10 01:59 PM)

#135281 - 06/18/10 04:24 PM Re: Hiking foods for diabetics [Re: HikerJoe]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Complex carbohydrates, especially in conjunction with more fiber (think whole grains) release sugars very slowly. You do need these for backpacking--the exercise is going to reduce your blood sugar considerably and without carbohydrates you may find yourself with hypoglycemia (too low blood sugar). Just be sure they are the right kind of carbohydrates! Whole grains, not white flour, white pasta or white rice (basically empty calories), not energy bars full of sugar or, worse yet, candy bars!

Try searching on this section (see the "sticky" post at the top of the General Discussion Section on how to search; be sure to change the default date parameters); I know there have been a number of posts in the past on diabetic backpacking diets. You're not alone!

Nuts are excellent and contain healthy (i.e., monounsaturated) fats.

#135284 - 06/18/10 05:16 PM Re: Hiking foods for diabetics [Re: OregonMouse]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Yeah, what OregonMouse said.

May I suggest some hikes rather close to home to test not only your gear, but your eating plan. As previously posted, you will be burning carbs and whole grains metabolize more slowly.

Adding to the idea list: Look at foods with a "low glycemic index," and read up on what can change a foods rating on that scale. Cinnamon has some compounds that help with how your body uses insulin, fats and protein can slow down carb uptake, so enough cheese in those mashed spuds might make them OK on days that you hike strenuously. There is also evidence that adding cider vinegar to foods lowers their glycemic index. (Other vinegars also work, but maybe not as well.)

My husband was diagnosed with Type II a couple of years ago. We've been working hard to keep his bolld sugar stable. The tricks above help.

Oh, yes, agave syrup is a sweetener that has little impact on blood sugar.

Good Luck!

CamperMom

#135348 - 06/21/10 06:58 AM Re: Hiking foods for diabetics [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I was diagnosed with Type II about a year ago - it was actually one of the better things to happen to me. I've started eating right, lost 50 pounds, brought my cholesterol down (it was approaching 200 before), and generally feel a lot better. For the last 6 months, my A1c level has been stable at 6.0. I do take oral medication, but no insulin. Not knowing the specifics of your case, I'm not going to try to make recommendations for you, but I will share what has worked for my case.

I'm not going to claim any particular expertise on diet; Sarbar and Mouse were immensely helpful there. I have found that, for backpacking, I could still use freeze-dried foods for supper - though I switched to the Enertia brand. (I'm not into drying my own foods.) The Enertia website does a good job listing the carbs and sugars, and I simply stay with the ones that are lower in those areas.

I also started looking for granola bars that were reduced-sugar or otherwise had lower sugar levels (Quaker makes several varieties, and I found some of the Nature Valley brands to be pretty good, too.) For breakfast, I've found I can use a Quaker Oatmeal to Go bar, though I often simply mix some dried fruit and nuts (cherries, raisins, walnuts, and pecans are my favorite) into plain old Quaker oats, in the round box. I prepack the oats, fruit and nuts into ziplock bags. The Quaker Oats have no sugars added, and I find that 1/2 or 1/3 serving (of the serving size listed on the package) of the fruit and nuts is plenty, and doesn't add a lot of sugar.

For lunch, I usually eat a stick of beef jerky, some dried fruit, some nuts, and a granola bar and let it go at that.

When I first tried this menu on a hike, I took blood sugar readings both before and after meals, and stayed well within the "<110 before" and "<140 two hours after" levels my doctor recommended. (Eating a granola bar mid-morning and mid-afternoon pushed me closer to the 110 before lunch and supper than I usually am at home, but I was still under the limit.) I always had plenty of energy.

For me, the additional exercise on a backpacking trip lets me eat a higher-carb diet than I would at home.

Listen to Sarbar, Campermom, and Mouse; they were incredibly helpful in getting me transitioned.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum