Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#108313 - 12/26/08 01:13 AM Thermal Death point: killing germs etc.
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
I thought I already posted this, But I don't see it? Oh well... Treating water with Chlorine doesn't kill all the bad stuff (e.g. Giardia or Cryptosporidium cysts), especially at cooler temps. Iodine kills only some of them. By definition A filter can not filter out viruses. So my question is: What temp will kill everything alive in the water. And, do I have do more than just bring it to a boil? What If I'm at 5000 feet where the boiling temp of water is 203F? Typically when cooking I use untreated water that I barely bring to a boil before dumping in dinner. I haven't ever been sick from it that I know of.

#108318 - 12/26/08 08:52 AM Re: Thermal Death point: killing germs etc. [Re: Jim M]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Morning, I can't remember the temp, but I have seen on one of the forums I belong to, that just bringing it to a boil, the critters are killed off by then, so even where the FS recommends boiling water for "x" minutes, it is over kill.

#108321 - 12/26/08 10:29 AM Re: Thermal Death point: killing germs etc. [Re: Jim M]
hoz Offline

Loc: midwest
I've read that at altitude, where water boils at a lower temperature, you should boil for 5 minutes.

#108322 - 12/26/08 01:12 PM Re: Thermal Death point: killing germs etc. [Re: Jim M]
Eric Offline

Loc: The State of Jefferson
The rolling boil for 5 minute thing seems to be a belt-and-suspenders approach. The World Health Organization recommends bringing water to a boil as an indication that a high enough temp has been reached but all the bad bugs are dead after a few minutes at 160 deg F. Link
Not that's totally sterile at this point but anything that will make you sick is dead or deactivated. I figure by the time I see bubbles forming the water is safe.

#108361 - 12/27/08 12:55 PM Re: Thermal Death point: killing germs etc. [Re: Eric]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
My handy US Army Survival Handbook recommends 1 minute of boiling at sea level, adding 1 minute for each additional 300 meters of elevation, or just boiling for 10 minutes wherever you are in the world.

I've heard that water purification beyond filtering, using chemical tablets, or simply bringing water up to a boil then stopping, is usually overkill here in the states. The nasties that aren't killed by these methods are usually only present around third world countries. I don't know how true that is.

#108371 - 12/27/08 04:02 PM Re: Thermal Death point: killing germs etc. [Re: Wolfeye]
Spock Offline

Loc: Central Texas
In the absence of a thermometer, a rolling boil is the only way to judge water temp accurately. That's the real reason for appealing to it.

Water boils at 212F at sea level and 203 at a mile. Water above 70C (158 F) will kill most water-bourne pathogens. However, it takes a few minutes, so taking the time to bring water to a boil and letting it cool to a drinkable temperature finishes the job. There are a few nasties that will survive such as botulism, but it is a problem only if you are canning something - not in your regular cooking.

Edited by Spock (12/27/08 04:55 PM)

#108425 - 12/28/08 11:57 PM Re: Thermal Death point: killing germs etc. [Re: Jim M]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I thought chlorine does kill the nasties. The temperature thing is simply a time factor - the cooler the temperature the longer you have to wait.

Boiling for 10 minutes does not make sense to me unless you want to cook the nasties for supper. The water does not get any hotter after boiling starts. A rolling boil should indicate that all water is of the same temperature. When you dump crabs in a pot they are dead quite quickly. Are viruses and bacteria different?

#108432 - 12/29/08 06:48 AM Re: Thermal Death point: killing germs etc. [Re: wandering_daisy]
hoz Offline

Loc: midwest
The problem is at altitude water boils BEFORE 212degrees, hence the longer recommended boiling time.

AS you can see from the responses the answer is clear as mud.

Boiling takes too much fuel.

I'd rather filter for the large particles AND then treat with Aqua Mira.

#108446 - 12/29/08 12:56 PM Re: Thermal Death point: killing germs etc. [Re: hoz]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By hoz
Boiling takes too much fuel.

I'd rather filter for the large particles AND then treat with Aqua Mira.

Yes, I agree. It also takes a very long time for the water to cool enough to be drinkable or appetizing. I filter and/or use pills by default, and only boil water if I'm cooking with it. No troubles with this method so far... knock on wood.

#108450 - 12/29/08 02:16 PM Re: Thermal Death point: killing germs etc. [Re: Wolfeye]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Years ago when I was still sorta of a newbie, I was at a lake that had brown water, thinking it was bad, I proceeded to boil it for ten minutes, over a woodfire. If I ever have to do that again, I will hike to the next lake. I like my smoke flavoring on my meat, not in my water. Yuck!

#109974 - 01/23/09 10:28 PM Re: Thermal Death point: killing germs etc. [Re: Eric]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Yellowstone has a bunch of hot springs with varying temperatures and varying colors in the background. Many of these colors come from bacteria, we were surprised to learn. The clear pool, we heard, was more or less bacteria-free, because it was hotter. The magic nuber for pathogenic bacteria to be killed off was 180 F.

I'm thinking virii and bacteria should be pretty much done it before water gets to a rolling boil, BUT, nasties like Giardia cysts, can take longer. Spore coats on some beasties are why autoclaves became popular. These coatings are very tough and hard to breach.

CM

#109989 - 01/24/09 02:42 AM Re: Thermal Death point: killing germs etc. [Re: Eric]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

this about corresponds with what I learned in microbiology class. basically a minute at 65 centigrade, and everyting was toast. The statement of "bring the water to a roiling boil" is because that can be done at any altitide with no tool other than a container and fire. whereas 65 C requires an accurate thermometer at sea level. boiling it doesn't require measuring.

Browse my pictures

#111689 - 02/22/09 02:49 AM Re: Thermal Death point: killing germs etc. [Re: Jim M]
NiytOwl Offline

Loc: California
There are two standards that you should already be familiar with. Sterilization is the killing of ALL pathogens, and takes place at temperatures above boiling water for a number of minutes (why you can't do home bottling or canning without a pressure cooker). Pastuerization kills MOST of the pathogens by heating at or above 161F for a few seconds.

At boiling water temperatures, you can't kill everything. But the idea is that you kill almost everything and what's left is in small enough quantities that your body's immune system will handle it without symptoms appearing. Assuming that we are dealing with relatively pure water (you didn't get it from a cesspool), a trip to the boiling point should be sufficient. Actually, just taking it above 161F is sufficient to kill the majority of bugs, but seeing the water boil ensures it's above 161F without carrying around a thermometer.

(Added info) Here's an REI article that says:

Quote:
"Most medical experts we interviewed, however, argue that simply bringing water to a boil is sufficient. Boiling water for several minutes is considered excessive. For details, see the "Boiling" section of our Water Treatment for International Travel article."

Edited by NiytOwl (02/22/09 03:05 AM)
Edit Reason: Additional Info

#112852 - 03/15/09 05:34 PM Re: Thermal Death point: killing germs etc. [Re: Jim M]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
Just use chlorine dioxide tablets from Katadyn. Wait 1-2 hours in cold temps, 1/2 hour at summer temps. It kills ALL pathogens and doesn't impart a bad taste, unlike bleach chlorine and iodine.

But, I confess, I boil untreated water for 30 seconds and then use the water for freezer bag cooking, etc. Never got sick... yet.

Eric

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum