Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#106253 - 11/10/08 09:13 AM Toasted Oats, Toasted Wheat Berries
coyotemaster Offline

Loc: Arizona
I really like to toast my regular rolled oats (not the quick oats mush), at home, in a cast iron dutch oven.
On low/moderate heat I warm up my pan and then throw in about 1 cup of oats and stir constantly with a wooden spatula until everything is nice & toasted, then pour them in a ceramic bowl I use for cooling, add more oats to the pan & keep toasting. I love the aroma while do it and I love the flavor later.
I add boiling water to make oats, just as usual, but the flavor is more wholesome (to me).
I also add the toasted oats to gorp. Very tasty. I think the toasted (pre-cooked) oats is easier on the digestion when eaten dry in gorp.

I also have lots (like 1/2 a ton at least)of canned, stored, whole winter wheat (courtesy of my association with some Mormon friends, they have/know the cheapest sources for oats, wheat, beans, rice etc, contact your local ward and be prepared to buy 25-50lb bags at a time but far cheaper than the grocery store)
I toast my whole wheat similarly, 1/3-1/2 cup at a time. Stirring constantly with a wooden spatula, the kernels pop & wiggle and when they slow down or stop and they look nice & toasted I pour them off into a ceramic bowl to cool down, add more wheat to the pan and keep toasting until I have a quart of toasted wheat in the cooling bowl.
I use the toasted wheat kernels like nuts, added to gorp or alone.
If I run the toasted wheat thru a grinder set to just crack the kernel & bust it up, the coarse ground toasted wheat is bulgar. To use bulgar, add boiling water to cover, let sit a few minutes, add a little honey or drop in a chocolate chip to melt, dissolve & stir in. Wonderful.

I just made some toasted oats for breakfast this morning & am getting ready for a campout later this month. Just thought I'd share.

#106254 - 11/10/08 09:38 AM Re: Toasted Oats, Toasted Wheat Berries [Re: coyotemaster]
hoz Offline

Loc: midwest
Many years ago I bought a Mormon survival book that had recipes using whole wheat.

Seems they believe in putting back enough food to support themselves for a year. Wheat, water, a little salt and sugar was all the book said you needed.

Boiled wheat, toasted wheat, wheat hamburger, wheat flapjacks, wheat kabobs...it was the Mormon Gump of Wheat!!!

#106255 - 11/19/08 01:57 PM Re: Toasted Oats, Toasted Wheat Berries [Re: hoz]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Quote:
Many years ago I bought a Mormon survival book that had recipes using whole wheat.

Seems they believe in putting back enough food to support themselves for a year. Wheat, water, a little salt and sugar was all the book said you needed.

Boiled wheat, toasted wheat, wheat hamburger, wheat flapjacks, wheat kabobs...it was the Mormon Gump of Wheat!!!

Here is from the horses mouth of what mormon's teach about food storage. Family Home Storage

As for toasted oats, I need to try that and see how it tastes. Sounds yummy.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum