Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184377 - 04/09/14 11:20 AM Surgery
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Yesterday Tica had surgury to remove two lumps from her chest. One is just one of those fatty lumps ( but took a 4+ inch incision), but the other went in for biopsy. She is such a stress budget at the vets that she was tearing at her stitches with her hind feet and licking them...basically bleeding all over the place. So I carried her to the car, got her tucked in and drove home occasionally having to give her a stern "stay" command while she whimpered. Took about 3 hrs to calm her down enough to take the "cone of shame" off her (and she wouldn't lick her wounds). We had a pretty calm night, so I am hoping for a relatively good day. But she still needs someone to watch her 24/7 now, to make sure she doesn't mess herself up. Makes it hard to get any work done.

The worst part is having them look at you with the "why did you let them do this to me" look. Yea...I'm anthroporphising...but you know that's what they are thinking.

#184385 - 04/09/14 05:52 PM Re: Surgery [Re: skcreidc]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I refused the "cone of shame" and used a T shirt for Hysson. Of course I watched him and he didn't appear to be scratching.

Older dogs frequently get these skin lumps and after Hysson's second surgery in a year, I decided not to bother with any that weren't in a spot where they'd get irritated. My-daughter-the-veterinarian didn't think he should have any surgery for those lumps, and after the second time I concurred. After the second surgery, Hysson about drove everyone at the vet clinic nuts when coming out of the anesthesia, and he kept alternately whining and howling until late in the evening after I got him home! He also acted uncomfortable for a couple od days afterward, despite pain pills.

Of course any lump that is questionable should be removed and biopsied. I hope the one Tica had turns out to be benign!

Edited by OregonMouse (04/09/14 05:56 PM)

#184386 - 04/09/14 06:00 PM Re: Surgery [Re: skcreidc]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
I wish her a speedy recovery.

#184397 - 04/10/14 10:09 AM Re: Surgery [Re: PerryMK]
skcreidc Offline

Thanks for the comments and thoughts. I immediately regretted having the fat lump removed, but I think it will be for the best as it was in the way of her backpack straps and caused some grief. Today seems much better and so far I am much less frustrated. I just really needed to vent somewhere, so thanks.

Chris

#184409 - 04/10/14 07:38 PM Re: Surgery [Re: skcreidc]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Yes, that first day is always awful and that's the dog's reaction to the anesthesia. I'm glad you're both doing better! With the second one, the one of vet clinic's techs called me about 2 hours before Hysson was due to go home, held the phone up in the air so I could hear the howling, and said "I don't think Hysson likes it here!" He kept howling and barking for several hours at home, though. It didn't help that in his last few years he developed horrendous separation anxiety!

If the lump is being irritated, it about has to be removed, unless there's a way to alter or pad whatever the lump is rubbing against.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/10/14 07:42 PM)

#184478 - 04/13/14 09:37 PM Re: Surgery [Re: OregonMouse]
skcreidc Offline

Thanks OM. Tica is, well, similar to Hysson. The Vet knows this so everyone else drops their dogs between 8 and 10 am. Tica gets dropped off at 11am (she is howling when she goes in the back). I get the call from the vet (Tica is howling in the background) that she is ready to pick up at 1:30 pm. Ho boy!

Now the task is making it till this Friday when the stitches come out. She is driving everyone crazy, but I'm sure the stitches are driving her nuts as well.

#184485 - 04/14/14 12:17 PM Re: Surgery [Re: skcreidc]
skcreidc Offline

Got the call from the Doc today on the tumor results. It was a type 2 Mast. For now, removal is the cure.

Moderator:  Glenn Roberts 
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum