Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197935 - 03/13/17 06:29 PM Elephant Foot bag?
DustinV Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
I wasn't able to find much about this so I thought I'd ask: has anyone used an elephant foot or other short bag and puffy for their sleep insulation here?

I'm contemplating it because I am warming to the idea of wearing more of my insulation to sleep. Maybe I just like the idea of technical pajamas. I don't see this system saving me any weight, but only shifting it into clothes I can wear in the evening and morning.

Either way, I don't like to get out of the down cocoon in the morning, even less at night after I've tried to drown a salty dinner with more than my usual water intake. Also, it does seem logical to wear the puffy and pants I already bring instead of just keeping it handy.

I'm just wondering if there are any caveats before I make the leap into a smaller bag. Or into a smaller quilt. MLD makes a half quilt that might work, too.

Thoughts? Warnings?

#197936 - 03/13/17 07:39 PM Re: Elephant Foot bag? [Re: DustinV]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I have used an elephants foot many times. It is primarily designed for climbers. You pair it with your down jacket. IT is not very useful if you do not have a good quality jacket with hood and you have to have good gloves too.

This is my husband's choice of sleeping system, even though we no longer climb (he is extremely claustrophobic and cannot stand to have his arms enclosed. He had is made to specifications by Feathered Friends. And yes, I am totally envious when he gets up in the morning staying toasty in his big down jacket. He generally sleeps warm so most often just lays the jacket over him- rarely actually puts it on at night.

It is hard to find a commercially available elephants foot anymore. The original idea of an elephant's foot was to reduce weight, for bivy on big wall climbs, since climbers usually took down parkas anyway. Now that the newer lighter 800 down bags are available, elephant's foot bags have fallen out of favor. If you are a cold sleeper, you may find this system less desirable.

One unusual advantage for me- it doubled as a sleeping bag for my babies until they were about 5 years old. I actually sewed my own. It was a synthetic. They are actually quite easy to make because there is no zipper.

If you are simply trying to add some lower body warmth to your current sleeping bag, I would instead get down pants that can also be worn around camp. I also find that in most conditions, my 4 oz down sweater in the morning works just fine to wear when out of the sleeping bag.

The total weight of my system now (down bag plus light down sweater) vs. my husbands, expedition jacket with elephants foot, are about the same.

One other advantage of the elephants foot-parka system is that you can take different weight(temperature rated) jackets for your top layer. This makes the system quite flexible. Be aware that quality expedition jackets are really expensive!

If the elephants foot were an obvious advantage, I would think it would be more popular. For the same money, I think you can get a warmer overall system with just a sleeping bag.

#197972 - 03/16/17 01:21 PM Re: Elephant Foot bag? [Re: wandering_daisy]
DustinV Offline

I was fortunate enough to work about a mile from a Golite store just before they closed shop and snagged an 850fp Bitterroot on closeout. Super warm. And I just grabbed a set of synthetic insulated pants and down booties because I was already planning on supplementing insulation. So, that's covered.

It does seem like elephant foot bags are pretty rare and expensive, so I guess that's why people aren't as excited about them. I have to admit that the idea of not pulling a puffy layer of down up to my chin sorta feels wrong, but I think I can learn to live with it for the relative gains in versatility and getting a little pack space back.

I'll keep my eyes open for another closeout.

#198014 - 03/22/17 04:57 PM Re: Elephant Foot bag? [Re: DustinV]
Mister13 Offline

Loc: Utah
you probably have seen that patagonia just came out with an elephant foot bag, it seems it is geared to climbers more than anything.

#198017 - 03/22/17 10:36 PM Re: Elephant Foot bag? [Re: Mister13]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
Nunatak Gear sells a half bag - they've been selling it for a long time now. The Akula half bag I think it's called.

#198040 - 03/27/17 02:51 PM Re: Elephant Foot bag? [Re: JustWalking]
DustinV Offline

I have seen both of these, in my frantic google searches. I just don't want to spend that much for half a bag, if possible. I can wait ...until I have money and my wife isn't lookin...

Edited by DustinV (03/27/17 02:56 PM)

#199664 - 12/02/17 09:11 PM Re: Elephant Foot bag? [Re: DustinV]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
I happen to have an elephant foot, but have never used it except I took it on climbs where I thought we had a high risk of getting stuck overnight; never did. However we did spend one cold night out at 9600 feet and 32 deg F one time. Right next to a glacier. I had a medium weight down jacket and hood, wool pants, down pants, and wrapped myself up in a nylon tent. I got some sleep, but I was chilly.
I believe an elephant's foot would have been better. So I got one.
Unfortunately it weighs almost as much as my summer weight 800 gram down sleeping bag and I would much rather have the sleeping bag.
I am a warm sleeper. I am sure that makes a big difference. Also, closed up inside a two person tent with another warm body I find makes a significant difference. Sorry I'm not much help, but interesting to contemplate. My hiking buddy purchased a down "throw" (70" x 50") that weighs about a pound and is (I think) going to make sleeping bag out of it. That would be near armpit high (50").

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum