Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169219 - 09/10/12 10:52 PM Getting Started?
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
So I recently returned from a well needed car camping trip. On lake Marion in SC with my wife, kids, father and step mother?

From the moment of arrival. I had the the feeling I was forgetting something! anyone who has ever been camping for any extended period of time probably knows this feeling quite well!

It took my father driving myself and my kids around in his john boat and finally his outboard motor crapping out, and me trolling the two of us 2+ miles back to camp before it hit me!

We still have four days of camping and fishing left and this boat is not ment for paddeling. " I FORGOT TO BUY THE CANOE I ALWAYS WANTED wink "

So long story sho0rt I'm looking for that canoe! Something that can fit us all on flat wAter with minimal gear. My wife and I for weekend trips. That is still capable of solo fishing !

There's a lot of boats out there. So far I'm looking ad mad rivers malecite, and wenonahs escapade . I'm in no hurry as ill probably wait till things warm back up mid spring next year before making a purchase!

But any advice would be a start. And ill update this thread as my research continues!

Edited by Samoset (09/10/12 10:57 PM)

#169251 - 09/11/12 11:05 AM Re: Getting Started? [Re: Samoset]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
As with anything, money talks. A Scoutmaster friend of mine had a lot of praise for the Wenonah kevlar boats the scout troop used at the Boundary Waters. Light weight is a very good thing.
Of course, fun may be had in any canoe. I still have a 19' Grumman aluminum that has been with us 30+ years, has a square transome for a motor, has a sailing kit, paddles great, but weighs so much it requires a trailer. That thing holds enough junk for 3 people...the "Family Truckster" of canoes. All my other boats are kayaks or sailboats.

#169287 - 09/11/12 10:16 PM Re: Getting Started? [Re: Dryer]
Samoset Offline

I have to agree with you dryer. Money does talk. Both of these boats are at the top of what Id be willing to spend new. I'm hoping to find something used. If not I have the better part of a year to save for it.

One thing I've found to be true in the outdoor industry is that if you know what your looking at you get what you pay for!

My intentions is to be able to hand this boat down to my two sons as they get older. And buy something UL for my wife and myself as we get older!

The reason in looking at these two boats in particular is they both get great reveiws and they are light enough for me to roof/portage alone!

#169692 - 09/23/12 09:32 AM Re: Getting Started? [Re: Samoset]
kindone Offline

Loc: Michigan
I have to disagree, I would buy a $100 beater off of craigslist that floats and spend the better part of a year on the water with the family and the canoe fund $100 short. Then when the kids are bigger you will have the 2 canoes you will need.Nice one for mom and dad and old junker the kids grew up in. Just my 2 cents, hope you find what you need.

#169693 - 09/23/12 10:25 AM Re: Getting Started? [Re: kindone]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
My solo canoe is one I bought used. I consider it my beater, though back in its day it was likely quite pricey. It is a bell bucktail, fiberglass. I picked it up for 300 bucks. Since it already has all the scrapes, and nicks I never felt bad running over beaver dams or wincing when I hit the first few rocks or logs.

My tandem is a kevlar boat. Also a Bell. I spent some coin on that. A paddling friend of mine and I recently took it up and back the Oswegatchie river. He was nervous of all the rocks and such, but I re-assured him that she could handle it and the gel is there to protect the skin and the scratches in the gel coat are just memories.

#170319 - 10/10/12 10:39 AM Re: Getting Started? [Re: kindone]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Loc: Houston, Alabama
I have to agree with kindone. I've heard the same thing about buying motorcycles: "You're going to lay it down on the pavement at some point, so it's better to have a cheap one that doesn't really matter. Then once you've done that you can get the bike you really want."

Only in this case you get to keep the first canoe. And when the kids get to be teens, the old beater canoe is the one they get to take out.

I've got a plastic three-seater that I got for a couple hundred on sale at Academy Sports a couple summers ago. It's not the best thing, but I've done a lot with it, and it's still going. One of these days I'm either going to have a 16' kayak or an Old Town canoe. Or both.

#171346 - 11/03/12 12:54 AM Re: Getting Started? [Re: Barefoot Friar]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Friar

no no, the saying goes - never have a motorcycle more valuable than your body, so you don't sacrifice to save the bike. crazy

OP

As for a first canoe - I'd have to agree with buying a used one and learning to canoe before buying a nice one since you will not know what you really want at first and 2 nice canoes is not a cheap solution.
Jim grin

Edited by Jimshaw (11/03/12 12:54 AM)

#179322 - 08/20/13 01:05 PM Re: Getting Started? [Re: Jimshaw]
Samoset Offline

Appreciate the advice everyone! I agree I'm trying to find a decent used canoe for my family to start out with!

#185834 - 06/20/14 08:30 AM Re: Getting Started? [Re: Samoset]
BrianSnat Offline

If you can find a used Mad River Explorer, that may be a good choice. It's not great at any one thing, but does almost everything fairly well. It's a load monster that will carry your whole family and gear and I've fished mine solo many times. If you turn it stern first and sit in the "front" seat you are perfectly positioned for solo paddling.

Another good choice would be a Prospector model. It's a versatile design that is made by most major canoe mfrs., precisely because of its versatility.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum