Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130007 - 03/03/10 07:54 PM Black Canyon
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
.....of the Colorado, not the Gunnison.

I want to paddle from Willow Beach to the hot springs just below Hoover Dam. Yes that's upstream. I'm much better on my legs than in a kayak but I'm not a weak paddler. I have a 16' boat. I'm in no hurry and I'll have 2 days if needed to cover the 10 mile distance.

How bad is the current? Does it vary with outflow from the dam? Local outfitters offer day trips going a few miles upstream from Willow beach so that sounds encouraging. I just think it would be nice to hear from someone who has actually done it.

Plenty of outfitters offer a one way trip downstream from the dam to Willow Beach but I want to do it my way!!!!

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#132636 - 04/24/10 07:22 PM Re: Black Canyon [Re: Trailrunner]
Trailrunner Offline

Well, I don't usually answer my own posts but I had a great time in Black Canyon so here's a little trip report:

First a little backround. Black Canyon is located immediately below Hoover Dam on the Colorado River. It runs over 12 miles to a small marina called Willow Beach and from there it gradually widens into Lake Mojave. Its waters, originating from near the bottom of Hoover Dam, run cold and almost crystal clear. So clear that the river bottom is usually visible. The current is usually mild, but its speed, along with the water level, can vary greatly depending on the massive valves of Hoover Dam, which respond to the water and power demands of the people it serves.

I launched from Willow Beach on a warm, lazy weekday afternoon. Well, it was only lazy if you were a tourist like me. The marina was full of onshore construction activity. The new campground, store and visitor's center will hopefully open by July. No sign of a recession here!!!

So I loaded up the boat with fresh food, fresh water, camping gear, and all sorts of goodies I wouldn't dream of carrying in a backpack. I even tossed in a not-so-light beach chair. Kayak camping has its advantages. I decided to leave the ice chest in the car since this was only an overnighter and it wasn't terribly hot. The beer would cool very well in Black Canyon's cold water that evening.

I set off, paddle in hand, upstream from the calm water of the launch ramp and into the teeth of the current. I had no idea what to expect. All I knew was that outfitters offered day trips from Willow Beach upstream a few miles. I was going more than a few miles though. To my relief it wasn't too bad at all and I was able to average almost 2.5MPH going "uphill".

After a few miles I reached the first attraction.

Emerald Cave was barely bigger than my 16' boat but it was a nice place to give my poor latissimus dorsi a rest and sip some water before I resumed my battle with the current and the now increasing headwind.

Another hour of paddling found me at this small beach around 4PM. I decided to kick back for a while and enjoy the silence and the solitude. The air was still warm and the only sound I heard was the occasional flutter from a pair of ducks who had been stalking me, undoubtedly used to humans who would spare them a morsel of food. I was in heaven!!!!

After 8 miles or so I decided to put in for the night. But not before the Colorado offered one more little challenge. Ringbolt Rapids was named after the hardware that steamships used to winch themselves up the canyon against the current. Back in the days before the great dams were built, steamers plied these waters from the Gulf of California to supply a little town called Las Vegas. In places where the current overwhelmed their engines, cables attached from shore to winches on the boat's decks pulled them upstream. Some of those historic ringbolts still decorate the canyon walls today. Anyway, paddling up the "rapids" was not terribly difficult but I was glad to get through them.

I slept well that night with only the sound of the rushing water to keep me company. The only drama was around 8PM when apparently someone needed either more power or more water, because the great valves of Hoover Dam had been dilated, the water rose, and much to my dismay the little beach I was calling home for the night began to vanish under the current!!! Fortunately my tent was pitched just above the high water mark........

I woke up to calm air and a greatly reduced water level/current. I decided to pack up and try to reach the dam while the going was good. The first few miles were calm and peaceful.

But as I paddled on, the current became much more hostile. Eventually I came within sight of the nearly complete O'Callaghan-Tillman bridge, which is just downstream from the dam, my goal since 2PM the previous day.

Just one more bend in the river and I would be there!!!! But my arms were aching and progress was now in inches. In fact I was barely making any headway at all. No doubt the dam keeper saw me coming and ordered the the great valves opened full bore for his personal entertainment!!!! It was a matter of simple physics. The current was stronger than my maximum sustainable forward thrust. And unlike the steamships of yore I had no winch or ringbolts to help me. And then it hit me. I wasn't going to make it. Not this time. Close but no cigar. I came up one bend and a few hundred yards short. Bummer.

But then I realized something. It's not about the goal, it's the journey. I was just happy to be alive, healthy and able to experience this beautiful place. So it wasn't too painful to accept defeat, kick the rudder over and head downstream, back to my car, my job and my mortgage. Black Canyon had really helped to put life in perspective.

#133499 - 05/11/10 01:37 AM Re: Black Canyon [Re: Trailrunner]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
tr:

Finally saw this post and pix. Beautiful shots. Great trip. What a view of that new bridge. They were just starting it when we were heading back to LV from the GC several years ago. Great post.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#133863 - 05/17/10 09:23 PM Re: Black Canyon [Re: kevonionia]
gonegonzo Offline

Congrats Trailrunner . I only hope to be as motivated as you seem to be . I don't know your gae but you remind me of myself when I was in my late 30's early 40's . At 60 yrs old I look back fondly on my " Glory Days " . I wish you many more productive years in the sport .

Gonzo

#133980 - 05/19/10 09:26 PM Re: Black Canyon [Re: gonegonzo]
Trailrunner Offline

Much thanks to both of you. Gonzo, I'm "only" 52 but I'm doing things now that I didn't dream of when I was 22. This trip was just one item on my bucket list, which seems to grow longer every year as trips are crossed off but even more are added!!!

I can't wait for retirement!!!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum