Howdy,

I would like to introduce myself to everyone on the board! Let me start by saying I am completely new to backpacking but have been doing a lot of reading on it. I am planning on my wife and I going on our first trip sometime this summer for about 2 and a half days at the Chisos Mountains, Big Bend National Park. I just had a few questions...

I am really trying to figure out which pack to buy for now. I have really been thinking the REI Flash 62 but just wanted some opinions. I know everyone says have all your gear first so I will just give you a quick rundown of what I think I will be carrying.
-1 coleman sleeping bag bought a long time ago from academy. It's rolled up dimensions are about 11"x20" and weighs about 3lbs. (Thoughts on whether or not to buy a compression sack?)
- a 3 person tent from walmart that is still in good shape but weighs 7lbs.
- backpackers stove with small like one pan, one pot cook set to mainly boil water and cook Freezer bag cooking style.
- since this is big bend and summertime the main thing I'm dreading carrying is all the water. I know this is going to be about 8 pounds a gallon and I was planning on carry 3 to 3.5 gallons myself and my wife carrying 1.5 to 2 gallons. (probably 1.5)
- obviously a few clothes, the food, some emergency kit, flashlight, etc.
- probably a self inflating sleep pad.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am a complete newb here and could stand to learn a few things.

Thanks and Gig'Em