Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184689 - 04/23/14 04:53 PM Fjällräven gear?
Flyaway Offline

Hey everyone! Alright, so I'm basically a newbie at camping and backpacking. I'm planning a trip this Summer (Hiking S. Kaibab to Bright Angel (no worries, I have plenty of people helping me to prep! I will be safe)).

Anyways...I figured I should start with the backpack! I have no idea what I'm doing. While I was at Barnes and Noble finishing some college homework....I saw a magazine about backpacking. I snatched it up, and discovered the Fjällräven company. They have some backpacks...and to ME anyways they look good. But what do I know?

I couldn't find any information on this site about them...or even a link to them. So I was wondering if anyone had used their packs and had any opinions? All other advice is welcome as well!
Thanks all.

#184690 - 04/23/14 06:23 PM Re: Fjällräven gear? [Re: Flyaway]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
As it happens, your pack is probably the last item you should be thinking about right now, because until you know what you are putting into it you probably don't know what size pack you will actually need, and buying a huge pack 'just to be sure' will only ensure that 1) you'll put too much into it, or 2) if you only half fill it, the load won't distribute properly.

As long as you are here, you might want to poke around a bit and see what kind of questions are being asked by backpacking beginners that have recently been answered. If you had, you would probably already know you've just put your foot squarely into the same bucket that almost every beginner steps into, which is to think they should buy a pack before anything else. We see that a lot. smile

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Have fun!

#184691 - 04/23/14 08:57 PM Re: Fjällräven gear? [Re: aimless]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
No experience with Fjallrave gear but their adds are attractive. Aimless nailed it, get all your gear first, well at least your bag/quilt, sleeping pad, shelter. Then you'll have a better idea of the size you'll need. Most important is fit, you need to go to an outfitter like rei and try on a bunch of packs with weight in them, Walk around the store for a while then decide.

Edited by rockchucker22 (04/23/14 09:01 PM)

#184694 - 04/24/14 03:16 AM Re: Fjällräven gear? [Re: rockchucker22]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Camping gear, IMHO, is not something you buy based on advertising. Since you admit knowing nothing, this leads me to believe you do not know what you need or what choices are out there. Spend some time reading books on camping and hiking and then start asking questions and reading forums like this one. Read the articles on this site, other than in the forum area, that cover gear and clothing choices. Ask your friends what they use.

While I saw some interesting stuff on the Fjallraven website, much of it is pretty expensive, which is an issue for some people, but more importantly, this brand is not well-established in the US, so customer service would concern me. Their retailers, at least in the LA area, look like trendy clothing stores, not serious outdoor stores, although their website shows a few dedicated stores in other parts of the country.

The trip you are planning is pretty serious hiking. I would be looking for the lightest gear possible and this site can help with that.

Edited by TomD (04/24/14 03:20 AM)

#184695 - 04/24/14 08:34 AM Re: Fjällräven gear? [Re: TomD]
bluefish Offline

I've seen their packs in ads, and they seem OK, but just as others have said- figure out what you need on the hike first. Are you going up Bright Angel, or were you referring to the Bright Angel campground? If you're going back up the S. Kaibab in summer the issue is water, water, then water. I'd be looking at a pack with a good hydration system or the ability to carry two bottles in holders on your hip or shoulder straps,besides another large container in the pack . When the Park Service stresses bringing water- listen- dehydration sucks!!!!! This also applies to going up the Bright Angel trail, but there's water at Indian Garden and the rest houses in the summer, unless the NPS says no. I went up it 2 weeks ago, and there was no water at the rest houses. It never got over 45 degrees, but I still used about 2 qts. of water. I'm in pretty good shape and have been backpacking for decades. The Fjallraven stuff seems a little heavier than you can find in other very good packs like the Osprey, Deuter, Granite Gear, and the ultralight stuff like z-packs. As others have said- TRY ONE ON AND GET FIT FOR YOU! Always keeping safety first, try to go as light as you can. Don't think the downhill is easy, either. Most peoples leg muscles aren't use to going downhill for that length of time. If you are in great shape and have good balance, you can skip using trekking poles, but they'll help taking some of the strain and feeling safe on the exposed parts of the trail. It's a very ambitious hike for your first- but the prep work will be worth it. It's beyond amazing.

#184756 - 04/29/14 12:53 AM Re: Fjällräven gear? [Re: Flyaway]
mekineer Offline

If a large backpack has compression straps, couldn't you "compress" the backpack, such that the load will distribute evenly?

I have a no-name backpack, bought about 10 years ago, about 40 liters, that has a sling at the bottom on the back. With an additional bungee around the top of the bag, I can carry a whole separate bag behind the main 40 liter cylinder. I've used it to carry extra food, because the capacity of the 40 liters wasn't big enough. I've also used it to carry a 4 man tent, to get to a point where I met others in NYC, and split the tent among the others. Has anyone seen slings on other backpacks?

Anyway, I just think a big capacity backpack can be useful. If it has compression straps, to reduce the diameter of the main cylinder compartment, then it can be the only backpack you need, rather than needing different backpacks depending on the size of your load.

Edited by mekineer (04/30/14 03:20 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 328 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum