Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152587 - 07/12/11 01:09 AM Noob Backpacking Just Saying Hi
blk04sr Offline

Well I will be going on my first trip coming up in mid August via Yosemite which will be full of bugs but I will have to live with it. I have no permits but I a nice list of trails and will get a 1st come 1st serve permit. Depending what trails I can get will depend on the days out I will be anywhere from 2 to 3 nights. Ive just been thinking about my clothing and what to bring. I am pretty squared away at the moment on my gear.

Gear List

Pack: Osprey Aether 70
Tent: REI Passage 2
Sleeping Bag: Northface Cats Meow Synthetic 20*F
Stove: MSR Pocket Rocket
Headlamp: BD Storm
Water Filter: MSR Hyperflow
Sleeping Pad: ThermaRest forgot which one...

I just got a Bear Vault BV500 to fit my food (I might have a second person) my pot fits in it with my stove, fuel, plastic bowl, and spork.

I know can update the ThermaRest to a newer one but right now money is tight so I will upgrade when I can. My food is planned out and I will have it all marked in ziplock bags so I can pull out what I dont need depending on permits I get my hands on.

As far as clothing goes, I am not sure how cold it will be due to how far out it is but this is what im thinking.

Will be in Pack:
-Boxers x 2
-Smartwool Socks x 2
-Pajamas (Cotton Shirt and light gym shorts)
-Marmont Preclip Shell
-Thermal top and bottom
-Shirt x 2
-Light Weight Shorts x1
-Light Weight Pants x 1
-Long Sleeve Shirt x 1
-Fleece Vest x 1
-Pair of Merrel Trail Gloves
-Beanie

I will be wearing
-Mid Weight Cotton Hiking Pants
-Moisture wicking Shirt
-Hiking Boots
-Boonie Cap
-Sunglasses

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Edited by blk04sr (07/12/11 10:15 AM)

#152596 - 07/12/11 11:12 AM Re: Noob Backpacking Just Saying Hi [Re: blk04sr]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Hi Noob!

Your list sounds fine---but most of us on these boards carry fewer clothes than you do. I take one shirt to hike and live in (it's synthetic, has pockets, and dries in an hour...so I can wash it if it gets too disgusting) and and fleece and a rainshell. And one pair of convertible (legs zip off) pants...which I wear for a week without washing.

So that leaves you with some extra pants and shirts, i think.

you'll be cleaner. I'll carry less weight...and have more room in my pack.

You can check out our gear list on our website

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#152604 - 07/12/11 12:17 PM Re: Noob Backpacking Just Saying Hi [Re: blk04sr]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By blk04sr

As far as clothing goes, I am not sure how cold it will be due to how far out it is but this is what im thinking.

Will be in Pack:
-Boxers x 2
-Smartwool Socks x 2
-Marmont Preclip Shell
-Thermal top and bottom
-Shirt x 2
-Light Weight Shorts x1
-Light Weight Pants x 1
-Long Sleeve Shirt x 1
-Fleece Vest x 1
-Beanie

I will be wearing
-Moisture wicking Shirt
-Hiking Boots
-Boonie Cap
-Sunglasses

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

That's a monster of a pack, but if it works...

Ditch the cotton pants, shirts, etc and get light nylon zipoffs, wool, synthetics.... Cotton is ideal for creating the perfect conditions for hypothermia - get wet and stay wet.

I would (and always do) take a base layer, midweight, for emergenicies and sleeping in clean clothing, one wicking shirt, either long sleeved and lightweight or short sleeved and I take along a pair of sleeves (originally made for cycling but work great as convenient add ons for a short sleeve). I take a light down jacket and a rain layer. The fleece beanie and some gloves round out the clothing options that work for me down to freezing. No pajamas, extra pants, extra shorts, extra extras... I do take a spare pair of underwear and wash them on a regular schedule as I go along.

You probably want a sun hat in addition to the sunglasses, and sunscreen - you burn easy out there. I also take SPF 30 lip balm. It's easy to dry out up there.

Expect night temps to 20F - I've had light snow in August. Weather depends on topography, not how far out you go - camping in the bottoms near water will always be colder than camping midway up a ridge. Ridge tops or peak tops are dangerous if a storm blows in.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#152605 - 07/12/11 12:23 PM Re: Noob Backpacking Just Saying Hi [Re: blk04sr]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I suggest leaving the cotton at home. Once cotton gets wet or even just damp, it gets heavy, loses any insulating ability it might have and takes forever to dry (what's the last thing out of the dryer?). When the experts say "cotton kills," they aren't exaggerating a lot. My daughter once got into the early stages of hypothermia hiking in temps in the lower 60's in soggy jeans (the grass and brush along the trail were soggy from previous rain and waist-high). Since she kept quiet, it took quite a while before the rest of us realized she was becoming incoherent. We had to stop early, strip off her wet clothes, stick her in her sleeping bag and fill her full of hot cocoa! If she'd been alone, she wouldn't have been able to help herself.

Synthetic fabrics are far lighter and, when wet, usually dry from your body heat in 15-30 minutes. Look in the athletic (not outdoors) departments of big box stores like Target, KMart, Wallyworld for nylon track pants. The one backpacking area where cotton does have a place is in hot deserts where a cotton knit shirt can be doused in water and used as your own portable swamp cooler.

You have a lot of redundant clothing. Most of us carry only the amount of clothing we would wear all at one time in the worst possible conditions we could expect for a specific trip. The exception is an extra pair or two of socks. Rather than taking pajamas, sleep in your hiking clothes or in your base layer. You can lighten up quite a bit by taking less!

Check out the articles on the home page of this site, left-hand column for lots of ideas and sample gear lists.

#152628 - 07/13/11 12:19 AM Re: Noob Backpacking Just Saying Hi [Re: OregonMouse]
blk04sr Offline

Wow that is some good input, thank you all.

@ balzaccom ive seen you post on the Yosemite boards and ive read your website alrealy!

Revised
Will be in Pack:
-Boxers x 1
-Smartwool Socks x 2
-Marmont Preclip Shell
-Thermal light weight top and bottom
-Wicking Shirt x 1
-Light Weight Shorts x1
-Light Weight Pants x 1
-Long Sleeve Shirt x 1
-Fleece Vest x 1
-Beanie

I will be wearing
-Moisture wicking Shirt
-Light weight no-cotton rei brand long sleeve shirt
-Hiking Boots
-Boonie Cap
-Sunglasses
-Light Weight Hiking Pants

#152663 - 07/13/11 10:22 PM Re: Noob Backpacking Just Saying Hi [Re: blk04sr]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
Howdy, welcome to the forums! You will get tons of advice from these guys/gals. Have fun!

#152668 - 07/13/11 11:52 PM Re: Noob Backpacking Just Saying Hi [Re: GDeadphans]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
That's looking a lot better....but in my pack, you would not find an extra pair of pants or an extra shirt. Add those together and you might have as much as a pound of extra clothing to carry around.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#152671 - 07/14/11 12:22 AM Re: Noob Backpacking Just Saying Hi [Re: balzaccom]
blk04sr Offline

Originally Posted By balzaccom
That's looking a lot better....but in my pack, you would not find an extra pair of pants or an extra shirt. Add those together and you might have as much as a pound of extra clothing to carry around.

I axed out the extra pair of pants, and left the extra shirt...I should be okay with this setup...

#152992 - 07/23/11 03:08 AM Re: Noob Backpacking Just Saying Hi [Re: blk04sr]
greghp Offline

Loc: milton,wa
i just bring one shirt, one paints, under roos ans two pairs of socks.... never forget the socks lol.

#153159 - 07/27/11 11:31 PM Re: Noob Backpacking Just Saying Hi [Re: greghp]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
imo I hike with Tevas (unless I am doing a lot of boulder/mountain climbing, than I switch to my boots with ankle support) and I love them. I don't mind my feet getting dirty, I can wade through water with ease and they dry quickly. I do, however, wear wool socks to bed. For two reasons really, 1. to keep my sleeping bag/hammock/tent/sleeping pad clean, and 2. because it feels great!

In the summer season I will wear my Campmor zip pants. They allow a lot of breathing and can get wet and dry quickly. But at night I bring along my pants to sleep in. An extra pair of boxers and one pair of wool socks aforementioned.

#153261 - 07/31/11 06:56 AM Re: Noob Backpacking Just Saying Hi [Re: GDeadphans]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Unless you have a real reason for boots, I'd suggest hiking shoes. I wouldn't recommend using running shoes as their soles have a poor grip.

Personally, I've always had good luck with cheap ones from Big 5 or someplace like that. For a trip that long, they should be no problem. Be sure to break them in, but it doesn't take long like it does for boots.

For a newer hiker, it's difficult to keep the pack weight under 35 pounds for those first trips. For a smaller person the target should be under 30 pounds. (Including food and water.) Any more than that, and you will really suffer.

Try not to be too ambitious on miles. One to one and a half mph including short breaks is a reasonable goal for newer hikers. Five miles a day would probably be enjoyable, seven doable, nine miserable. If you are starting out downhill, realize it will likely take about fifty percent longer to get back. You can always explore after you set up camp and see some more things.

(Distances and weights are estimates and based on personal experiences when I was new.)

#153292 - 07/31/11 11:27 PM Re: Noob Backpacking Just Saying Hi [Re: Gershon]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
How far to go each day depends on your personal physical shape, age, trail condtions, etc. Yosemite trails are generally very well maintaned and their mileages stated on the maps very conservative- in other words if the map says 5 miles, it will be a "short" 5 miles. The 1.5 mph estimate for newbies is good. There are some tremendous elevation gains if you start from Yosemite Valley and go up to the rim. Each 1,000 feet of gain could add an hour. If you start at Happy Isles, by regulation, the first legal campsite is Little Yosemite Valley (3,000 feet gain). It boils down to how many hours you want to hike per day. Creek crossings are high now so it may take you half an hour to cross, by the time you take off shoes, put on wading shoes, get across, dry feet, put hiking shoes back on. With this years snow, I would add trekking poles and wading shoes (unless you hike in sandles)to your gear list. Actually you may want to ask rangers when you get your permit to help you choose a route that has bridges across major creeks.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum