Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174354 - 01/26/13 07:44 PM Intro and pack advice
Tex_Ag85 Offline

Howdy,

I would like to introduce myself to everyone on the board! Let me start by saying I am completely new to backpacking but have been doing a lot of reading on it. I am planning on my wife and I going on our first trip sometime this summer for about 2 and a half days at the Chisos Mountains, Big Bend National Park. I just had a few questions...

I am really trying to figure out which pack to buy for now. I have really been thinking the REI Flash 62 but just wanted some opinions. I know everyone says have all your gear first so I will just give you a quick rundown of what I think I will be carrying.
-1 coleman sleeping bag bought a long time ago from academy. It's rolled up dimensions are about 11"x20" and weighs about 3lbs. (Thoughts on whether or not to buy a compression sack?)
- a 3 person tent from walmart that is still in good shape but weighs 7lbs.
- backpackers stove with small like one pan, one pot cook set to mainly boil water and cook Freezer bag cooking style.
- since this is big bend and summertime the main thing I'm dreading carrying is all the water. I know this is going to be about 8 pounds a gallon and I was planning on carry 3 to 3.5 gallons myself and my wife carrying 1.5 to 2 gallons. (probably 1.5)
- obviously a few clothes, the food, some emergency kit, flashlight, etc.
- probably a self inflating sleep pad.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am a complete newb here and could stand to learn a few things.

Thanks and Gig'Em

#174356 - 01/26/13 08:24 PM Re: Intro and pack advice [Re: Tex_Ag85]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Welcome!

First, check out the articles on the home page of this site, left hand column. They will give you lots of good ideas. Do note that the gear lists are for Pacific NW conditions, which may not all apply to Big Bend! It's a lot cooler and wetter up here.

We have several experienced members here from Texas who, I'm sure, will provide more specific help.

Second, postpone getting that pack until you have the rest of your gear. The pack must fit you, fit your gear and be comfortable for you carrying your gear. The second two require that you have your gear, plus the equivalent in weight and bulk of the food and water you'll be carrying. Sandbags and newspaper just don't heft the same as real gear in your pack. The most important features of a pack are fit, fit and fit! Backpack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit.

Third, I'd really look at lighter sleeping bags and tent if at all possible. That gives you more leeway for that necessary water weight without staggering. We here in the Pacific NW are so lucky on having frequent water sources that the thought of carrying all those gallons is, to me, a bit horrifying--but very necessary where you're going!

Edited by OregonMouse (01/26/13 08:25 PM)

#174361 - 01/26/13 11:03 PM Re: Intro and pack advice [Re: OregonMouse]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Welcome!

First, check out the articles on the home page of this site, left hand column. They will give you lots of good ideas. Do note that the gear lists are for Pacific NW conditions, which may not all apply to Big Bend! It's a lot cooler and wetter up here.

We have several experienced members here from Texas who, I'm sure, will provide more specific help.

Second, postpone getting that pack until you have the rest of your gear. The pack must fit you, fit your gear and be comfortable for you carrying your gear. The second two require that you have your gear, plus the equivalent in weight and bulk of the food and water you'll be carrying. Sandbags and newspaper just don't heft the same as real gear in your pack. The most important features of a pack are fit, fit and fit! Backpack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit.

Third, I'd really look at lighter sleeping bags and tent if at all possible. That gives you more leeway for that necessary water weight without staggering. We here in the Pacific NW are so lucky on having frequent water sources that the thought of carrying all those gallons is, to me, a bit horrifying--but very necessary where you're going!
Sage advise, couldn't be said better!

#174374 - 01/27/13 04:57 PM Re: Intro and pack advice [Re: Tex_Ag85]
jbylake Offline

Loc: Northern KY USA
Are you sure you want to do your first ever trip, hiking 2.5 day's, carrying 5 gallons of water? That's 41.75 lbs. of water, before any other gear? Add another 7lbs for a tent and you're at nearly 50lbs, or 25lb each,not counting packs, bags or anything else, food, cooking gear, even your own clothing? Especially in hot desert like conditions? Have you considered doing something easier, learning your limits, and acquiring gear, and gaining the experience to determine the gear you want or need, which a good reference has already been mentioned in this thread?

You've got a while. Visit some outdoor gear shops, talk to experienced people, maybe your local gear shop has some "introductory" group trips scheduled, usually for a nominal fee. Many also rent gear, to give you a chance to try before you buy.

I'm not trying to deter you from anything, and not trying to be Mr. "doom and gloom", but with the info you provided, it sounds like a recipe for something bad going down, just to what degree can't be predicted. Err on the safe side, that's all.

Just my .02's

Good luck..and welcome to the sport smile

J.

Edited by jbylake (01/27/13 05:07 PM)

#174376 - 01/27/13 06:07 PM Re: Intro and pack advice [Re: Tex_Ag85]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Tex_Ag85,

I would take the gear you have and go car camping for one trip. While there, try to carry the gear a mile out and back. I think some things will become apparent when you do that. Book knowledge can only get you so far. As you get experience, the information in books will make more sense.

Some advice for later:

There may be some seasonal water sources there. I would carry enough water to make it to the source and back. If there is water, so the same thing for the next source.

Have a great hike.

#174379 - 01/27/13 07:31 PM Re: Intro and pack advice [Re: Gershon]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Also, mid-summer doesn't sound like a very good time to go to Big Bend unless you want to fry. Big Bend might be great for March, or maybe even February, and there are more apt to be seasonal water sources. Also check out opportunities for water caches there.

#174381 - 01/27/13 07:37 PM Re: Intro and pack advice [Re: Gershon]
jbylake Offline

Loc: Northern KY USA
Originally Posted By Gershon
Hi Tex_Ag85,

I would take the gear you have and go car camping for one trip. While there, try to carry the gear a mile out and back. I think some things will become apparent when you do that. Book knowledge can only get you so far. Have a great hike.

Excellent advice Gershon. I sometimes go car camping just for the sole purpose of trying out new, unfamiliar, but critical gear, maybe just an over nighter. Actually looking for the right conditions to try some newly acquired cold weather gear at this moment. (I'm not a cold weather expert by any stretch of the imagination). But I'm glad you brought this up. It also might help Tex to have a "quality and fun" first trip, and not have a bad, or extremely uncomfortable situation spoil their opinion of the lifestyle forever. I think that happens pretty often.

J. goodjob

Edited by jbylake (01/27/13 09:14 PM)

#174385 - 01/27/13 10:52 PM Re: Intro and pack advice [Re: OregonMouse]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I would agree with those who recommend against Big Bend in summer. The water you are contemplating carrying is considered the minimum for the amount of time you are planning to be on the trail. If everything goes right, it might be just enough. If things go wrong, you could easily be in big trouble.

New Mexico is close by and has some delightful areas that are much cooler and better watered (Ruidoso/Cloudcroft or Santa Fe). My personal favorite is the Gila Wilderness which probably isn't that much further a trip.

You definitely need lighter gear. You would be better off with a tarp than a seven pound tent in the summer. Just practice with it before hand. Some overnight trips durign which you get comfortable with your stuff would be a very good idea.

I am pretty familiar with desert conditions, mostly Arizona. I have been in Big Bend, but not recently. Others will have more to say. Please note that the NPS website has some cautionary language about border conditions there. Yet another complication.....

#174414 - 01/29/13 11:53 AM Re: Intro and pack advice [Re: oldranger]
Tex_Ag85 Offline

Thanks for all the sound advice! I definitely plan on doing some smaller trips in between now and then to get used to the gear etc. its always just more fun to plan for the big one. I do realize the gear would be a whole lot of weight with the water but I'm not overly concerned that would be an issue since I'm pretty young and in good shape but I guess we will see on the smaller trips when I carry the pack.

#174419 - 01/29/13 02:31 PM Re: Intro and pack advice [Re: Tex_Ag85]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I don't know where you live, but I have always found Enchanted Rock to be a good training ground. They have primitive campsites that are about a mile from the car.

For a pack, if I knew I would be hauling water, I would get an external frame. Especially with your big sleeping bag.

#174452 - 01/30/13 10:05 AM Re: Intro and pack advice [Re: finallyME]
Tex_Ag85 Offline

I live in San Antonio, and my wife and I already have a night in a primitive campsite in enchanted rock planned over spring break as well as another night at garner state park.

I have really been considering getting one of the hellcat modified alice packs since they are relatively cheap and can handle a pretty heavy load. The MSS carrier would be great for my large sleeping bag.

#174491 - 01/30/13 11:01 PM Re: Intro and pack advice [Re: Tex_Ag85]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
I'm also planning for Big Bend someday, but in Dec. smile I'd also recommend you look elsewhere as that would be pretty brutal for newbies. When you do go, you should look into caching some water (may depend on your vehicle and trail, of course). Just read someone else's TR that had done that so you don't have to carry as much at one time.

#174501 - 01/31/13 09:47 AM Re: Intro and pack advice [Re: Tex_Ag85]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Garner is a great park, especially if you like swimming, but it'll still be a bit chilly for that over spring break. However, it's very touristy. If you prefer less of a crowd, I'd highly recommend Lost Maples State Park, only about an hour away from Garner. It's absolutely beautiful, limestone and clear spring water country with lots of interesting elevation change up and down the bluffs, plus the maples aught to be green. They also have primitive camping out on the trails.

#174503 - 01/31/13 10:07 AM Re: Intro and pack advice [Re: Tex_Ag85]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By Tex_Ag85
I live in San Antonio, and my wife and I already have a night in a primitive campsite in enchanted rock planned over spring break as well as another night at garner state park.

I have really been considering getting one of the hellcat modified alice packs since they are relatively cheap and can handle a pretty heavy load. The MSS carrier would be great for my large sleeping bag.

I went to MacArthur High School, and graduated from UTSA. My economics professor would tell us an Aggie joke before every class. smile

Hellcats are HEAVY. They are also very limited as to pack adjustment, since the ALICE frame is so short. If you want a cheap option, buy the MOLLE straps that you would have for the hellcat, then go to a thrift store and buy an old external frame pack. Put the MOLLE straps on the frame. That would also give you more adjustment for a better fit. Instead of buying the MSS carrier, just buy a stuff sack. The MSS uses 1000D Cordura and is way overkill, which means overly heavy.
Here is what I do.

This is a frame I bought for $4 at a thrift store, that I cut down a little. Then I sewed the shoulder straps and hip belt, copying the MOLLE ones I have. I then just strapped on some stuff sacks. The weight is about 3lbs empty. That frame is about 1.5 lbs lighter than the ALICE frame.

When I take my kids and need for space in the pack, I take a larger frame that I got at a thrift store, and just strap on more bags.

#174504 - 01/31/13 10:46 AM Re: Intro and pack advice [Re: finallyME]
Tex_Ag85 Offline

I am definitely weighing a bunch of options but I plan to shop around and keep my eyes open for different stuff and might even visit a couple thrift stores. I have been to Lost Maples just haven't camped in the primitive sites before.

Small world, I graduated from MacArthur High School too!

#174510 - 01/31/13 11:44 AM Re: Intro and pack advice [Re: Tex_Ag85]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Tex_Ag85,

Sounds to me like you have sound advice above. I just want to add to the last couple of suggestions. With that kind of water load, there is no way on earth that I would try to do it with an internal frame pack. The externals are out of fashion, but they are THE answer for a heavy load. I very rarely even consider carrying more than maybe 30 pounds max, but when I do, the old Kelty comes out and does it's job just like it always has (I have several thousand miles on that pack, I had to replace the hip belt, but it still feels good when I put it on).

best, jcp

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum