Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171466 - 11/05/12 10:28 AM Gear question
CanterburyBound Offline

Hello Backcountry Forum!

I am a long time hiker/backpacker but I am planning my first longer self supported trip. I have a Kelty Pawnee (3300 in^3) and I am wondering if you all think this is big enough to carry my share (4 of us on this trek so we'll share the burden) for a 5 day self-supported trek.

We will not be bringing a tent as there are huts strategically placed on our planned route, but will be bringing tarps in case things go wrong. Also we will not be carrying our water (we'll have access to fast-flowing water throughout).

Should I buy a bigger pack?

#171468 - 11/05/12 10:50 AM Re: Gear question [Re: CanterburyBound]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
The standard advice is to get your pack last. In your case, you need to figure out what gear you'll be putting in it first, then load it, then see how it fits and feels.

If it all fits and feels good than you're off to the trail. If not, you're off to the gear store wink

"You want to go where?"

#171473 - 11/05/12 01:05 PM Re: Gear question [Re: CanterburyBound]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Whether 3300 c.i. is big enough will depend entirely on the bulk of what you need to fit in it.

To answer your question, we can only use the few facts you've told us (5 day trip, tarp instead of a tent, minimal water) and that really isn't enough information to do anything but make an offhand guess. Heaven knows, some sleeping bags are much bulkier than others. The bulk of the clothes you bring, and food bulk can be just as capricious. For all we know, your sleeping bag, clothes or food could be almost any size.

I presume you already have most of your gear available to you to put in your pack, so the first step is putting it in your pack and looking at how much room is left. If it is filled up before your food goes in, you'll need to make adjustments, either smaller gear or a bigger pack.

It's hard to say much more than this. Sorry. frown

#171476 - 11/05/12 03:26 PM Re: Gear question [Re: aimless]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
First of all, where are you going? Canterbury and huts and freeflowing water says NZ South Island. If I am right, let me know which tracks you are doing. Once I know that, I may have some useful advice for you. Also, are you Kiwis or Americans? I also have a reason for asking that question.

#171482 - 11/05/12 04:06 PM Re: Gear question [Re: TomD]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The huts mentioned would also indicate NZ or at least some place outside the US, unless the reference is to shelters on the Appalachian Trail. It really helps us make more relevant suggestions if we have more detailed information.

I agree that the best advice is to load up all your gear and see if it fits in the pack with room for 5 days' food. There is no way we can make even the wildest estimate of its bulk!

Edited by OregonMouse (11/05/12 04:07 PM)

#171494 - 11/05/12 06:03 PM Re: Gear question [Re: CanterburyBound]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
It can be done, but can you do it? The biggest piece of gear is your sleeping bag. That, and how much clothes you take will really determine this, and those two are very personal choices, with lots of options. This is really a question that you will have to answer yourself, by putting all your equipment in your pack and just seeing.

#171524 - 11/06/12 04:08 AM Re: Gear question [Re: finallyME]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
If the gear fits, carry it!

#171534 - 11/06/12 11:57 AM Re: Gear question [Re: CanterburyBound]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
3300 c.i. is certainly large enough capacity to do what you want for some people --- I know that it is for me. I'm sure that it's not enough for others. I have no idea if it's enough for you, as I don't know what how bulky and heavy your various gear items are, nor what kinds of items you feel worth carrying that I don't (or vice versa). The variation in bulk and weight of gear carried is very large between individuals.

Since you're a long-time hiker/backpacker I presume that you have most or all of your gear already. Since you also already own the pack then ... ??? Make a list of *every* gear item you plan to carry. Do a test pack, literally load the pack just as you would for the trip. Estimate whether available space allows for the food you think you might need. If you're not certain, estimate something on the order of 700 c.i. --- this also depends on the amount and type of food you carry, of course.

#171611 - 11/07/12 11:02 AM Re: Gear question [Re: CanterburyBound]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Be careful about your 5 days of food. Repack the food into zip-lock bags. This reduces a LOT of bulk. I really do not find much difference in gear I take on a 2 day vs 5 day trip. I think your pack is sufficient, but you may have pack it more efficiently. Fill up all those little empty spaces. Be careful with little stuff - take the small "travel size" for sunscreen, toothpaste, etc. Maybe substitute a kerchief for a bulkier camp towel. Sleeping pad for some, is one of their most bulky items. I switched to an inflatable sleeping pad and then just take one 2x2 ft square blue foam for a "sit pad" - this is less bulky than one large foam pad. These are just examples. I am sure you can find ways to reduce bulk of your specific gear.

I am not familiar with your pack. I personally prefer a pack with one large compartment and have actually cut out internal dividers. If the capacity of the pack is divided into too many small compartments, you loose effective capacity. If your pack is highly compartmentalized, rethink what goes where to more effectivly utilize space.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a fine excuse to buy an new pack or upgrade, go for it! There are lighter and better packs out there. But do not necessisarly buy a monster pack.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum