Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190377 - 04/27/15 09:40 PM Very sad news coming out of Nepal :(
bobito9 Offline

I know we don't generally discuss topics like this, but is tangentally connected because it is such a beautiful place to hike (I could post some photos I took to make it more relevant, I guess)
Anyway, I would just like to encourage people to make charitable donations to the kind, poor, and suffering people of Nepal in their hour of need. Who knows? Maybe you'll even be repaid by hiking there someday. Myself, I'm thinking I ought to make a return trip sometime fairly soon for the sake of the money I would put into their economy, though of course I need little persuading that it would be nice to return regardless.
sorry if I'm off-topic

#190380 - 04/27/15 10:43 PM Re: Very sad news coming out of Nepal :( [Re: bobito9]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
No need to be sorry. I did move it to off-topic, but there is no shame in that. smile

#190381 - 04/27/15 11:37 PM Re: Very sad news coming out of Nepal :( [Re: bobito9]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I agree about the charitable donations. That's really important, both now for urgent life-and-death needs and later for long-term recovery. In addition to the loss of life, it's obvious that Nepal has been devastated and most of the infrastructure is gone.

I can only imagine the terror from the continual aftershocks!

Bobito, that's why we have the Off-Topic section, for important items like this! Thank you for posting!

#190383 - 04/28/15 09:49 AM Re: Very sad news coming out of Nepal :( [Re: bobito9]
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Call it paranoia or whatever, but I have trepidations over making charitable donations for things like this only because of the horror stories you hear about organizations/governments/whomever reappropriating the funds for something other the what was intended.

Does anyone know of an "honest" aid organization that, should we want to donate to this cause, will actually use the funds appropriately?

#190384 - 04/28/15 10:04 AM Re: Very sad news coming out of Nepal :( [Re: dylansdad77]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
That's an excellent question, dd77. I'd like to know too. And if there's an organization that's accepting goods rather than money, that's even better.

#190388 - 04/28/15 11:35 AM Re: Very sad news coming out of Nepal :( [Re: 4evrplan]

It generally costs far more to receive, sort, package and ship used material goods (especially halfway around the world) than to buy the stuff new closer to the site where it's needed. This is especially true of used clothing and gear--close to half of it will have to be discarded, the other half will have to be laundered or otherwise sanitized, and handling it is extremely labor-intensive and time-consuming. That's why very few charities accept used material goods any more. Of course, they won't turn down medical supplies by the case.

There are several organizations that rate charities, and I strongly urge everyone to check out every charity--even the big name ones--before donating. There are some in which less than half of each donated dollar goes to the charitable cause. You want to look for organizations in which 85-90% of donated funds go to those who need them.

I donate to three Northwest-based charities with some of whose staff I'm personally familiar. Mercy Corps (already in Nepal, distributing emergency kits as fast as they can get them there), Medical Teams International, and SIGN Fracture Care International. SIGN provides simplified implants for fractured limbs that have the patient walking within a few days, and teaches local surgeons how to do the implants. They already have trained in-country associates in Nepal and expect to send more from the US, as well as the implants themselves. SIGN was founded by the Richland, WA orthopedic surgeon who put my almost completely disassembled knee back together in 1988.

Many news stories are listing charities involved in the Nepal disaster. You need to research them, both on their websites and with the charity rating organizations, and decide which you prefer. Just because I like the three I mentioned doesn't mean that you will! Please do your research!

Edited by OregonMouse (04/28/15 11:54 AM)

#190408 - 04/28/15 03:19 PM Re: Very sad news coming out of Nepal :( [Re: OregonMouse]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
Try this:

http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-04-25/ho...wing-earthquake

would trust PRI much more than the commercial sources.

#190412 - 04/28/15 03:57 PM Re: Very sad news coming out of Nepal :( [Re: GrumpyGord]

Thanks, Gord! The article mentions two good charity rating outfits, Charity Navigator and Guidestar. Better Business Bureau rates US charities, but is more limited.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/28/15 04:04 PM)

#190414 - 04/28/15 07:07 PM Re: Very sad news coming out of Nepal :( [Re: 4evrplan]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I haven't researched the organization extensively, but I have a friend who is a former member of the board of directors of World Vision. Simply knowing the kind of person he is, I can't imagine him associating with an organization that isn't credible. I think I heard on NPR that World Vision is active in the relief effort of this earthquake, though it didn't say whether it was Nepal, Tibet, or another nation that was affected.

#190415 - 04/29/15 06:15 AM Re: Very sad news coming out of Nepal :( [Re: OregonMouse]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
It is a sad commentary on our world when something like this is exploited for the gain of a few selfish individuals. Frequently we see reports of even well known charitable organizations and fund raising groups where just a small amount of the funds collected actually go to the cause being collected for. It has the effect of making even generous folks hesitant to give to worthy causes. As I said, sad.

#190416 - 04/29/15 11:05 AM Re: Very sad news coming out of Nepal :( [Re: bobito9]
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I just had an email come through stating that my company, on behalf of all employees worldwide, is making a $10,000 donation to the relief efforts in Nepal. And at the bottom of the email they provided links to recommended organizations which are accepting donations.

Question answered.

In case you are interested, these were the recommended groups:

- Save the Children
- Doctors Without Borders (Medecins sans Frontiers)
- Oxfam
- Global Giving
- Unicef
- Mercy Corps
- Care

Edited by dylansdad77 (04/29/15 11:06 AM)

#190417 - 04/29/15 11:07 AM Re: Very sad news coming out of Nepal :( [Re: dylansdad77]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Here is a list of vetted charities working in Nepal:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=1888#.VUDxECFVhBc

When my wife and I went through this exercise sometime back we decided to give to Americares. I hadn't heard of them before, but they seem to consistently show up at the top of the ratings and being involved in these disaster areas. The charities I had heard of seem to spend a lot of money on advertising and CEO pay (which is probably why I had heard of them).

#190422 - 04/29/15 09:10 PM Re: Very sad news coming out of Nepal :( [Re: BZH]

Another precaution--I'm seeing folks coming up with ideas for selling T shirts, etc to benefit Nepal. Nice idea, but… If you can take the charitable tax deduction, this won't work.; You need to donate direcctly to a 501(c)(3) organization, and the value of any merchandise received must be deducted from your contribution. Besides, the Nepalese probably need those T shirts more than we do.

Note that the list of vetted charities (thanks, BZH, for the link!) will change as more organizations get involved. Some may choose not to, especially since Nepal is now telling folks not yet in country to hold off. I'm holding off on donating to Medical Teams International, for example, until they determine if they are needed in-country.

EDIT, LATER: MTI now has a team on the ground, in one of the provinces nearest the epicenter.

Just got an email from REI (probably most of you have it by now, too) that they're donating to Mercy Corps.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/29/15 11:04 PM)

#190501 - 05/09/15 10:06 PM Re: Very sad news coming out of Nepal :( [Re: OregonMouse]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I mailed our check to Mercy Corps today.

#190536 - 05/12/15 11:15 AM Re: Very sad news coming out of Nepal :( [Re: dylansdad77]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
They just got hit with another quake this morning, a 7.3.

#192907 - 12/17/15 06:41 AM Re: Very sad news coming out of Nepal :( [Re: bobito9]
AMZSow Offline

anyone know where I can donate online? Im not looking to donate to some random charity orgs, most of those organizations dont actually help.

#192909 - 12/17/15 11:49 AM Re: Very sad news coming out of Nepal :( [Re: AMZSow]
packlite Online   content

Admin

Loc: Pullman, WA, USA
Originally Posted By AMZSow
anyone know where I can donate online? Im not looking to donate to some random charity orgs, most of those organizations dont actually help.

Since this particular disaster took place over seven months ago (April 2015), you might have to do a little digging on Google to find your answer. On one hand it is seven months late, on the other hand, the needs and support may be better defined making donation less risky.

#192928 - 12/19/15 03:04 PM Re: Very sad news coming out of Nepal :( [Re: AMZSow]

Repeating what I wrote back in April:
Quote:
There are several organizations that rate charities, and I strongly urge everyone to check out every charity--even the big name ones--before donating. There are some in which less than half of each donated dollar goes to the charitable cause. You want to look for organizations in which 85-90% of donated funds go to those who need them. . . .

Many news stories are listing charities involved in the Nepal disaster. You need to research them, both on their websites and with the charity rating organizations, and decide which you prefer. Just because I like the three I mentioned doesn't mean that you will! Please do your research!

Quote:
The article mentions two good charity rating outfits, Charity Navigator and Guidestar. Better Business Bureau rates US charities, but is more limited.

In other words, you need to do your own research. I donated to three charities with whom people I know and trust are associated, thanks to my having worked in the medical community in the Pacific Northwest. These groups, however, may not be working in Nepal at present. Nor should anyone take my word for it that these charities are worth while. Check the ratings, and check the charities' websites to determine their present areas of concern.

Edited by OregonMouse (12/19/15 05:53 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum