Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163142 - 03/02/12 01:20 PM Funny name for a climb
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Honestly, I am just tired of looking at the title of the previous thread. Anyway, there is this offwidth in Squamish called "the March of the Kitchen Utensils". Even though the climb is only 5.9, I think the name says it all. That name still cracks me up.

#163163 - 03/02/12 08:01 PM Re: Funny name for a climb [Re: skcreidc]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
"only 5.9"?? Don't you realize that back when the earth was cooling,5.9 was the extreme upper limit of human endeavor? Frankly, it has always been a psychological barrier for me.....

#163222 - 03/03/12 03:47 PM Re: Funny name for a climb [Re: oldranger]
skcreidc Offline

Did you try those 5.9's in EB's? Or were you wearing the old boots? I've got a relatively new pair of 5.10's (climbing shoes) that feel like cheating even compared to the EB's! Surprisingly, they are size 14 laugh. I feel lucky ... my criteria for picking out climbing shoes was that they big enough to fit my feet! Thank goodness I can get them resoled later and I may have a buyer for my old EB's.

I know for a long time, 5.9 was assigned to the hardest routes. I have been going up the Tahquitz and Suicide Rocks whenever I get a chance lately. Lots of history with that place. Interesting stuff to read about.

#163265 - 03/04/12 11:11 AM Re: Funny name for a climb [Re: skcreidc]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Climbing ratings have suffered grade inflation just as our public school system. Many of the classic traditional 5.9 climbs are now rated higher.

Be leery of 5.9's put up in the era when 5.10 was the limit. Until it was acceptable to "break the limit" everything "hard" was rated 5.9!

Gear as much as climbing skill have allowed us to climb harder stuff. Every try to pound in a piton on a 5.9 hanging by your fingernail? And if you could even get it in without falling off, when you actually did fall off higher up, you could never be sure it would hold. The old truism was the "leader never falls".

#163284 - 03/04/12 06:23 PM Re: Funny name for a climb [Re: wandering_daisy]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
WD
I've free climbed pitches of old pin scars in Yosemite Valley at the base of Royal Arches. You slip two fingers into the scar and toe the lip of the crack with sticky rubber climbing shoes. Its pretty satisfying to free climb the scars left by a prior generation who could not have free climbed the scars, not because they were'nt strong enough, but because they didn't know how. When I was 21 I laughed at the veertical rock in Yosemite - you obviously can't climb it - its vertical, and 21 years later I came back and started climbing it because someone showed me how.

I guess I don't get the OPs joke though. Does the name imply that by the time you finish you will have used every piece of hardware in your kitchen for protection (The whole rack?)?

I climbed one in Pinnacles where the first move was a pendulum across space and a grab onto the other side - at the top of an overhang. It was called Cantelope Death - refering to what might happen to your head if you screwed up.

Jim

#163426 - 03/06/12 10:56 PM Re: Funny name for a climb [Re: Jimshaw]
skcreidc Offline

Quote:
I guess I don't get the OPs joke though. Does the name imply that by the time you finish you will have used every piece of hardware in your kitchen for protection (The whole rack?)?

I had not thought of it that way before... But after inching up the thing by heal toe jamming and chicken winging, it felt like all the sharp utensils from the kitchen had marched over your body. Well, I could relate.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum