Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192384 - 11/02/15 03:55 PM Low priced GPS recommendation?
Aragon Offline

Loc: Central California Coast
I am seeking a low-priced handheld GPS unit. I mostly hike well established/maintained but poorly marked trails. I want something simple and dependable.

If I go on eBay I see tons of older units in mint shape (or factory reconditioned) for very low prices. I'm curious if there are a few "classic" units out there that provide good, long-lasting value? Thanks.

#192397 - 11/02/15 11:34 PM Re: Low priced GPS recommendation? [Re: Aragon]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I've bought three Garmin GPS units and two died for no apparent reason. They just died while sitting on my shelf waiting for me to use them again.

The last one I bought, a Garmin Oregon 200, has worked for a pretty long time now. It was factory refurbished and I got it on Amazon or Ebay.

As much as I'm stung by the ones that died, I'd still only buy a Garmin that has the features to let you use open source maps. I really like my Oregon 200 a lot, and it wasn't very expensive. And Garmin's "Basecamp" software for desktop computers is as good as it gets, and they have an Apple Mac version, and it's free.

There are so many different Garmin models and versions of models that it's overwhelming. Some of them are hard to learn to use too. I've played with several eTrex models and hated them all.

Look at the Oregon series, and start with the lowest end one first. I think that's my Oregon 200 (which isn't made anymore), but those are all very easy to use and dependable. I and two hiking buddies have had them for a few years now (theirs are higher end and a bit newer than mine) and they're all still working. I made a point to get one that uses AA batteries so I can carry spares. Some may have built-in rechargeable Lithium batteries, but for backpacking I like being able to swap them out.

"You want to go where?"

#192400 - 11/03/15 09:48 AM Re: Low priced GPS recommendation? [Re: Aragon]
DH024 Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I have purchased a crazy number of handheld GPS units over the last 15 years (I use them at work and play), mostly Garmin units, but also Magellan and Delorme. Garmin units are my favorite, hands down.

I own a bunch of newer models, but surprisingly, the two units I use the most are the venerable GPSmap 60Cx and my Oregon 450 (even though I own a newer GPSmap 64s and Oregon 600). Those are my votes for great "classic" GPS units.

I'll also put in a pitch for the eTrex 20, if you are looking for something functional, durable, and inexpensive. (I own 6 eTrex 20s and 30s for work.)

#192401 - 11/03/15 12:12 PM Re: Low priced GPS recommendation? [Re: Aragon]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
I do not want to hijack this thread but is there something available for a phone which will at least give basic information. I am not a big smartphone user but I have a per minute Tracfone which has limited data available and will connect to cell phone towers for location. I have looked at a couple of apps like Google Map and Navmii which do not give very useful information and do not store routes or even tell me where I am in relation to nearby points. I am just looking for something to tell me where I am and how do I find a way out of here. All phones are supposed to have built in GPS but How do I use it short of purchasing a $600 phone and a $100 per month plan? My phone usage is under 30 minutes per month. Am I just dreaming or am I just too dumb to know how?

#192402 - 11/03/15 01:26 PM Re: Low priced GPS recommendation? [Re: billstephenson]
Aragon Offline

Loc: Central California Coast
Originally Posted By billstephenson
I've bought three Garmin GPS units and two died for no apparent reason. They just died while sitting on my shelf waiting for me to use them again.

The last one I bought, a Garmin Oregon 200, has worked for a pretty long time now. It was factory refurbished and I got it on Amazon or Ebay.

As much as I'm stung by the ones that died, I'd still only buy a Garmin that has the features to let you use open source maps. I really like my Oregon 200 a lot, and it wasn't very expensive. And Garmin's "Basecamp" software for desktop computers is as good as it gets, and they have an Apple Mac version, and it's free.

There are so many different Garmin models and versions of models that it's overwhelming. Some of them are hard to learn to use too. I've played with several eTrex models and hated them all.

Look at the Oregon series, and start with the lowest end one first. I think that's my Oregon 200 (which isn't made anymore), but those are all very easy to use and dependable. I and two hiking buddies have had them for a few years now (theirs are higher end and a bit newer than mine) and they're all still working. I made a point to get one that uses AA batteries so I can carry spares. Some may have built-in rechargeable Lithium batteries, but for backpacking I like being able to swap them out.

Did Garmin make things right on the two that died for no reason? I am amazed at the HUGE amount of factory refurbished Garmin units of all models for sale on eBay...

#192403 - 11/03/15 04:55 PM Re: Low priced GPS recommendation? [Re: GrumpyGord]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
To my knowledge all smartphones have a GPS chip and antenna, as it's part of their location system (which also relies on cell tower position). Good thing, as when one is hiking one is typically out of cell range.

The most obvious method is to use Google Maps, preload and save the base map for the area you're planning on hiking then use your phone's GPS for location. I've done it and it works okay. The downside for my phone at least is the GPS mode gobbles the battery and will drain that sucker right quick.

In sum, I find even a cheap handheld GPS more reliable than my phone. Others might have better luck than I with battery life.

As to the OP: I've used handhelds from Garmin, Magellan and Delorme, and prefer Garmin. If you wait for black Friday you can find a good deal on a new, fully warranted unit.

Cheers,

#192410 - 11/05/15 02:48 PM Re: Low priced GPS recommendation? [Re: Rick_D]
Zuuk Offline

Loc: NB, Canada
The problem with phone GPS is that you will need the towers for it to work. I went to Campobello Island and thought I'd do some geocaching while I was there. I only had my phone with me, and guess what? No service on the island, except for a couple little spots on the coast. I have a topomap Canada app on my phone, as well as a couple geocache apps that use topo maps. None of them would work as they couldn't update the maps. I never tried to use it mapless (like the real old-school GPS units), but the next time I went to the island, I brought my GPS unit. I used to have an old Garmin eTrex Legend, but the display stopped working correctly after I dropped it. Now I have an eTrex Venture (I think that's the one) that I picked up real cheap. It works very well, although I wish I had of waited and gotten one with a microSD card slot. For maps, I have to download only the ones in the area that I'm going to be at as there is only so much memory on the unit.

My next one will probably be a Garmin as well, but it'll have a microSD card slot, plus the ability to store more points and tracks and routes. Since I do geocache, it's easy to eat up lots of points on cache placements.

#192414 - 11/05/15 06:10 PM Re: Low priced GPS recommendation? [Re: Zuuk]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By Zuuk
The problem with phone GPS is that you will need the towers for it to work. ...

Huh? Many phones have GPS receivers and operate just fine outside of tower contact. I didn't realize any phone still gives positional data based on tower contact. That seems like a really poor technique since you would have to maintain contact with multiple towers to triangulate position.

#192425 - 11/06/15 04:59 AM Re: Low priced GPS recommendation? [Re: BZH]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Towers are only necessary for the maps, unless the app has the capability of predownloading the necessary mapset before loss of cell signal. Backcountry navigator has this capability for example. This allows the user to take advantage of the gps antenna when no cell signal is avail. In the earlier days I wo,dered why one couldnt just get the coordinates from the gps antenna so one didnt need a digital map, ala the old gps devices. But then bcnav came around with the downloading maps options.

#192428 - 11/06/15 08:47 AM Re: Low priced GPS recommendation? [Re: BZH]
Zuuk Offline

Loc: NB, Canada
Originally Posted By BZH
Originally Posted By Zuuk
The problem with phone GPS is that you will need the towers for it to work. ...

Huh? Many phones have GPS receivers and operate just fine outside of tower contact. I didn't realize any phone still gives positional data based on tower contact. That seems like a really poor technique since you would have to maintain contact with multiple towers to triangulate position.

Yes, you're right, I just wasn't being clear. It's working with the maps that gets messed up because they won't update. Of course, you'd need a data plan to update the maps too.

I'll have to look for an app that allows the predownload and storage of maps, as the ones I use don't have that option (or I haven't found out where to turn it on yet).

I do know that using the GPS feature on my phone runs my battery down pretty fast, but that could be the maps updating and the data usage.

#192437 - 11/06/15 04:48 PM Re: Low priced GPS recommendation? [Re: Zuuk]
Rick_D Offline

If logged into a Google Map account the current map can be downloaded for use off line.

Cheers,

#192454 - 11/07/15 07:08 AM Re: Low priced GPS recommendation? [Re: DTape]
GrumpyGord Offline

I just loaded Backcountry Navigator on my phone and it looks like what I am looking for. I have a regular GPS if I am on longer hikes or going off trail etc. I mostly want to have something which tells me where I am in relation to things like roads, streams etc while I am day hiking. I could turn it on to determine how far it is to a turn around point for instance. This obviously would require preloaded maps. I still have not tried to save maps to the phone. I am just playing around with the free/demo version but it looks like what I want. I can read maps but in Michigan woods everything looks the same for miles at a time and visibility is in feet, not miles. Two track road crossings are not too helpful because many of them are not shown on the maps and many are not officially roads but just a path to someone's hunting blind or fishing spot.

#192464 - 11/08/15 12:44 PM Re: Low priced GPS recommendation? [Re: GrumpyGord]
GrumpyGord Offline

After playing around with the Backcountry Navigator APP a little more it looks like what I think a GPS should be. I have had a couple of Garmin Etrex units and this is much easier to understand and does more of what I think it should do. I wish that it was in a dedicated GPS instead of an Android APP.

#192473 - 11/09/15 11:46 AM Re: Low priced GPS recommendation? [Re: GrumpyGord]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I've used Backcountry Navigator for quite some time, and find it to be very good. I've also paid for the Accuterra maps --- optional, not needed, but when I hiked half of the Florida Trail in January, the Accuterra maps often had the FT on the base map, and it's something like $20 a year for an additional map source.

Hiking in Spain for the last month or so, I found it very handy --- a couple of different map source options worked there and I could find a very accurate trail plot. This helped in particular as my little group typically started hiking well before sunrise each morning, and the app was a big help at times in low light situations, just to keep us on track.

BCN has a bit of a learning curve, so I don't suggest buying this and then trying to figure it out on-trail at a time when you need it. Play with it a lot on very local trails and around home until you've got a good feel for what it will do for you --- and how to do those things. But I'm a fan. I like the way it's supported too.

#192474 - 11/09/15 01:07 PM Re: Low priced GPS recommendation? [Re: BrianLe]
Rick_D Offline

Anybody try Gaia GPS yet? Just curious.

Cheers,

#192478 - 11/10/15 09:41 AM Re: Low priced GPS recommendation? [Re: Zuuk]
BrianLe Offline

Both Backcountry Navigator and Gaia GPS allow downloading of significant (very large) chunks of map data for offline use. I wouldn't consider one of these if I had to have an active data connection in the backcountry. I was just using BCN in Spain, where I had two different sets of map data covering hundreds of miles of trail --- no problem, or at least not for a smartphone that allows a microSD card.

#192479 - 11/10/15 09:44 AM Re: Low priced GPS recommendation? [Re: Rick_D]
BrianLe Offline

Quote:

I own and have used the Android version of Gaia. Several years ago I had some sort of problem with Gaia, don't recall what, and switched to BCN. My vague memory suggests that the problem with Gaia might have been specific to my then phone, but dunno for sure.

I've been impressed with both companies, and particularly customer support. Both require some learning curve, neither were, for me at least, super intuitive to learn to use. But with some work at home, a person could master either one well enough to do all sorts of things.

I've not used Gaia for some years, however, so really shouldn't comment much, cannot make a fair comparison. My sense is that both are very good.

#192535 - 11/16/15 11:29 PM Re: Low priced GPS recommendation? [Re: Rick_D]
billstephenson Offline

I didn't know that. I just found this how to so I'll have to give it a try:

How to Use Google Maps Offline Mode

"You want to go where?"

#192901 - 12/16/15 08:36 AM Re: Low priced GPS recommendation? [Re: Aragon]
Nicolas Offline

I'm using Spyglass nav app, it supports different maps, depending on my current needs: google maps, apple maps, open street map and open cycle map. It saves an opened map in a cache so you can use it later when offline. Pretty accurate if properly calibrated

#193130 - 01/12/16 01:44 AM Re: Low priced GPS recommendation? [Re: Rick_D]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By Rick_D

Cheers,

I use Gaia with my iPhone. It works very well. Download maps from a few different sources/types of maps. There's power saving settings that allow a user to turn off GPS until activated, which really conserves the battery (as well as the usual battery saving tricks). I did a 5+-hour dayhike on Tiger and Sqwak Mtns., only pulling out the iPhone and activating the GPS when we weren't sure if we were still on the trail (deep snow, no other tracks, fun but exhausting), so maybe a dozen and a half times. Phone was always on. Still had over 90 percent battery level at the end of the hike.

Gaia online is pretty good too. You can plot your route and then download that to your phone, so when you check your position it shows it relative to your plotted route.

Find the program pretty easy to use. I'd recommend it.

Edited by JustWalking (01/12/16 01:46 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling corrections

#193186 - 01/15/16 09:37 AM Re: Low priced GPS recommendation? [Re: Rick_D]
la_picker Offline

Loc: Louisiana
Originally Posted By Rick_D
The downside for my phone at least is the GPS mode gobbles the battery and will drain that sucker right quick.

Not just you Rick. Those smartphone gps/navigation apps suck a battery down in no time. And then you're not only without gps, but your cell phone goes with it.

Just doesn't work for me.

Picker

#193193 - 01/15/16 01:13 PM Re: Low priced GPS recommendation? [Re: la_picker]
BrianLe Offline

Quote:
"Those smartphone gps/navigation apps suck a battery down in no time. And then you're not only without gps, but your cell phone goes with it."

I think this is another place where an old adage applies: "It's how you use it".

When I use a dedicated GPS, i.e., a device sold as and intended solely to function as a GPS, I almost never just turn it on and leave it on. There ARE situations where that makes sense, assuming I'm confident that I have battery power to burn. But my normal use is to turn it on, get a fix, then turn it off.

Ditto with smartphone. In this case "turn it on" means to turn on the GPS hardware, bring up the app and do whatever you're going to do, then turn the GPS hardware back off. In general, any wireless service is somewhat of a battery hog, whether GPS, blutooth, or phone.

If a person gets serious about using a smartphone as a sort of "swiss army knife" of functionality in the backcountry, it's well worth while to take some time to learn about conserving battery life. An internet search along the line of "smartphone battery life android" (or iphone or whatever) will turn up a lot of stuff. "How you use it" can make a very large difference in conserving battery. I use my phone on backpacking trips as daily blogging device, my only camera, I occasonally read books on it, use it as a voice recorder, infrequently check weather reports and email/facebook when in range of cell towers ... and use it as a GPS once in a while too. Battery life is never a problem, though I sometimes do carry a spare battery, depending on the trip.

#193197 - 01/15/16 02:28 PM Re: Low priced GPS recommendation? [Re: Aragon]
billstephenson Offline

I use these devices much the same as Brian Le. If I want to make a track of my route I'll use my GPS and bring some spare AA batteries for it, but I still bring my phone because getting a signal is pretty easy here.

If I only bring my phone I keep it turned off and only turn it on to send a text, check for messages and the weather forecast, or grab my lat/long.

I just got a new iPhone and the battery life in it is a huge improvement over my old Motorola Razr M, and it charges a lot faster (several times faster). I'm not recommending an iPhone, just noting the difference. I haven't used it on a backpacking trip yet.

I generally bring both devices because I like having them, but where you have some distinct topography it's pretty easy to know or find out where you are if you pay attention and keep your map handy. This is especially true here in the Ozarks where there are lots of peaks and creeks and hollows to reference and because of that I generally keep both of them off. This makes the dead weight, and all together it's not an insignificant amount of weight, but I choose to include them.

For me, these devices are a part of my "backup plan". But my primary plan is to pay attention to where I am and confirm that with my topo map and compass if I need it. Used this way, these devices can help you improve your mapping skills by confirming you are where you think you are, or instantly letting you know you're not, which should provide some clues to where you screwed up. After a bit you'll pretty much always know about where on your map and that should really always be the case.

Learning to read the topography is an important skill to acquire because thoughtlessly following trails is a pretty good way to get lost. GPSs have really helped me get better and have more confidence in knowing where I am and locating it on a topo map. And I think it's fun to test myself this way. I take a break, turn on my GPS and while it's getting it's location set I pinpoint where I think I am on my map. I've gotten pretty darn good at that now. You just have to pay close attention to the topography as you travel and a topo map tells you what to expect.

I also try to estimate my lat/long on the map and compare that with what my GPS provides. I don't pencil out the math, just a rough guesstimate. But, I'm maybe a bit odd that way. This kind of stuff keeps me amused. blush

"You want to go where?"

#193367 - 01/27/16 05:46 PM Re: Low priced GPS recommendation? [Re: Aragon]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Obviously I am a little late to the conversation. But, maybe someone else will come along and benefit from my suggestion.

I don't like using my phone for my gps device. It just uses too much power. My little garming etrex 10 doesn't use that much power, and I can store a few extra batteries easier than a cell phone charger unit.

When I use my gps, it is with a paper map. I go to caltopo.com and print maps of the area with a UTM grid on it. Obviously I could use another grid system, but the UTM is so easy, and it is similar to my military training. All I use the gps for is confirming my location. I use my map a lot and generally know exactly where I am. But, sometimes I like to pull out the ol' gps and confirm. So, basically, all I use the gps for is to get that UTM grid coordinate. I don't use it with downloadable maps or anything else.

So, knowing how I use the gps shows you why I recomend the garmin etrex 10. $88 on amazon right now. You would be hard pressed to build your own for that price.

If you want to use the gps unit to store maps and look at maps on the unit, then a different unit might be better.

#195671 - 06/05/16 11:09 AM Re: Low priced GPS recommendation? [Re: GrumpyGord]
MikekiM Offline

Loc: East of Montauk, NY
Originally Posted By GrumpyGord
I do not want to hijack this thread but is there something available for a phone which will at least give basic information. I am not a big smartphone user but I have a per minute Tracfone which has limited data available and will connect to cell phone towers for location. I have looked at a couple of apps like Google Map and Navmii which do not give very useful information and do not store routes or even tell me where I am in relation to nearby points. I am just looking for something to tell me where I am and how do I find a way out of here. All phones are supposed to have built in GPS but How do I use it short of purchasing a $600 phone and a $100 per month plan? My phone usage is under 30 minutes per month. Am I just dreaming or am I just too dumb to know how?

I've tried a load of phone based GPS's and by far my favorite and the only one I use today, is GaiaGPS. I am an iphone user, and the Gaia app is leaves nothing for me to desire. Phone goes in Airplane mode to conserve battery live and maps can be downloaded prior to departure, so no cell towers are required. The companion web-based program can be used to create routes and all data is sync'd between handheld and computer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum