Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187638 - 11/10/14 06:53 AM Wearable Technology for the great outdoors!
jakegoff8 Offline

Hi Guys,

I'm a product designer conduction research into wearable technology for the outdoor market.

Recently, we've seen an increase in products like the Nike fuelband, the Fitbit and Google glass hitting our markets but so far, there is nothing revolutionary that would aid us as hikers, scramblers or just casual walkers.

This is something I want to change and so, I ask for your help.

Are there any constant frustrations that you have with your outdoor activities that could be assisted with the use of technology?

What problems for you face when you head off on an excursion?

What improvements would you like to see in the outdoor clothing market?

Any comments you may have might be incredibly useful to me.

Thanks very much for your time,

Jacob.

#187646 - 11/10/14 12:45 PM Re: Wearable Technology for the great outdoors! [Re: jakegoff8]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
For me, the less technology (and batteries!) used on the trail, the better. I go out there to get away from that stuff!

#187647 - 11/10/14 01:03 PM Re: Wearable Technology for the great outdoors! [Re: jakegoff8]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
The biggest improvement I would like to see in the outdoor clothing market is for companies to resist the compulsive urge to redesign and update their products every year, even if it degrades or ruins the product. I understand the reasons why this happens, but the only purpose behind all this hyperactivity is a desire to increase profits and any benefit to the customer is purely incidental. As a result, we customers are very poorly served and I, for one, resent it.

Not that you could do anything to change this. frown

#187663 - 11/10/14 11:46 PM Re: Wearable Technology for the great outdoors! [Re: jakegoff8]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
To me, "wearable technology" triggers terms like GoreTex, Polartec, and polypropylene.

I assume you're talking "high tech," i.e., electronics. I don't see great advantages there, for two main reasons:

1. If it takes power, then you've got to plan ahead and carry power to repower your tech when it runs out of power. Assuming it doesn't break first, or short out if it gets wet. Solar power isn't necessarily the answer to those of us who hike in the woods, or when it's raining.

2. If "tech" means connectivity (google Glass with maps or GPS, etc.), I'm usually going to be backpacking where there is no connectivity. (Yes, there are still such places.)

Sorry I couldn't offer more positive suggestions.

#187667 - 11/11/14 06:51 AM Re: Wearable Technology for the great outdoors! [Re: Glenn Roberts]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
For sure, absolutely!

Like OM and others, I go to the woods to unplug from the borg.

I would LOVE a small, portable signal jammer with an active radius of about 100m to maintain that disconnect in my immediate environs. My tin foil hat doesn't work anymore.

Edited by DTape (11/11/14 06:51 AM)

#187672 - 11/11/14 12:29 PM Re: Wearable Technology for the great outdoors! [Re: Glenn Roberts]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
2. If "tech" means connectivity (google Glass with maps or GPS, etc.), I'm usually going to be backpacking where there is no connectivity. (Yes, there are still such places.)

And, may I add that with current technology (at least as far as I know), the only reliable way to offer connectivity in the backcountry would be to add thousands of new mobile communications towers, obviously not a good solution for anyone involved (hard on the environment, eyesores, expensive, etc.).

#187676 - 11/11/14 07:03 PM Re: Wearable Technology for the great outdoors! [Re: 4evrplan]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
This article, actually a retrospective book review, "Preserving the Spirit of Wildness" by Paul Magnati, says it all!

Edited by OregonMouse (11/12/14 04:18 PM)
Edit Reason: correct typo!

#187682 - 11/12/14 10:55 AM Re: Wearable Technology for the great outdoors! [Re: OregonMouse]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Ok. In general I agree with the replies here, but I do have on item on my wish list.

I currently take a small camera on my backpacking trips, which can last for more than a week. I turn off the display screen, and my camera lasts for the full week and more with a single battery.

I'd like to take along a GPS unit, because no matter how many maps I take, I always wish for one more. But GPS units don't have batteries that last a week or longer. At best, they last a few days.

So I'd like a single unit that would serve as both camera and GPS, and would have a battery that lasts at least a full week in the back country.

Oh--and I want it to weight less than a pound.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#187684 - 11/12/14 11:11 AM Re: Wearable Technology for the great outdoors! [Re: balzaccom]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Originally Posted By balzaccom
Ok. In general I agree with the replies here, but I do have on item on my wish list.

I currently take a small camera on my backpacking trips, which can last for more than a week. I turn off the display screen, and my camera lasts for the full week and more with a single battery.

I'd like to take along a GPS unit, because no matter how many maps I take, I always wish for one more. But GPS units don't have batteries that last a week or longer. At best, they last a few days.

So I'd like a single unit that would serve as both camera and GPS, and would have a battery that lasts at least a full week in the back country.

Oh--and I want it to weight less than a pound.

Perhaps a GPS unit with an e-paper display updated twice a second or so? That would lower the current draw of the screen, but the receiver would still be power hungry.

#187687 - 11/12/14 01:58 PM Re: Wearable Technology for the great outdoors! [Re: jakegoff8]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
As opposed to yet another piece of electronics so I'll stress convergence of the existing ones. GPS actually handles most everything now (route planning and navigation, location, direction, elevation, time, etc.) but "wearable" GPS watches are huge and have limited displays and battery life, while handhelds get in the way, especially for those of us using trekking poles. So I wear a watch, too.

Since I can't divine a purpose for Fitbit I can't extrapolate it to backpacking, which by default is done outside of cell range, rendering most smart phone-linked devices moot. (Or is that mute?)

There's satellite communications, such as provided by SPOT, InReach and sat phones. Provide that minus the pound or more of dedicated gear and we're onto something.

Someone might want a wrist camera, but not I. I suppose one could siamese a Fitbit and a GoPro into a convergence device, but again its appeal to backpacking might be limited. We lack the downhill thrills, except for falling. Worst YouTube video ever.

#187688 - 11/12/14 02:02 PM Re: Wearable Technology for the great outdoors! [Re: Rick_D]
balzaccom Offline

Originally Posted By Rick_D
Worst YouTube video ever.

LOL. I remember watching a GoPro video of a trailrunner's adventure in the Rockies. It mainly consisted of the woman's view of her feet as she ran on the trail. So bad it was funny.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#187690 - 11/12/14 05:32 PM Re: Wearable Technology for the great outdoors! [Re: jakegoff8]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I suppose a Dick Tracy style wrist worn flexible LED display satellite smartphone would be cool. cool

Elon Musk said the other day he wants to make and launch the satellites. wink

"You want to go where?"

#187691 - 11/12/14 05:45 PM Re: Wearable Technology for the great outdoors! [Re: balzaccom]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
How about a google glass type device that has gps, night vision, and can act as a PLB/SPOT. A laser would be cool as well. No internet connection.

#187692 - 11/12/14 05:53 PM Re: Wearable Technology for the great outdoors! [Re: jakegoff8]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah

Are there any constant frustrations that you have with your outdoor activities that could be assisted with the use of technology? No frustrations at all. All technology does is make it easier to do things (like see in the dark 'flashlight', find your location 'gps', take pictures 'camera'). The only improvements that we want is to decrease size/weight/cost of those basic functions.

What problems for you face when you head off on an excursion?
Finding water, filtering water, staying dry, staying warm, locating destination, getting a good nights rest, cooking/eating food.

What improvements would you like to see in the outdoor clothing market?
lighter/cheaper (cost)/more robust/warmer/dryer

Edited by finallyME (11/12/14 05:53 PM)

#187693 - 11/12/14 08:54 PM Re: Wearable Technology for the great outdoors! [Re: Rick_D]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
I'd like toilet paper with the holes pre-drilled to save weight.

#187695 - 11/13/14 12:10 AM Re: Wearable Technology for the great outdoors! [Re: Gershon]
balzaccom Offline

Originally Posted By Gershon
I'd like toilet paper with the holes pre-drilled to save weight.

Thanks for the laugh.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 58 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum