Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197397 - 01/14/17 01:45 PM Campfire Defender
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I was checking out Popular Mechanics " 2017 Best Outdoor Gear" piece and they have this Campfire Defender product that's pretty interesting.

It's not really "backpacking" gear, but could certainly be used in a group backpack if you did some load sharing.

The concept is sound and of course I looked at it with a view for how it would compliment my campfire tent. In the demo videos they lay the cover on the ground when the fire is burning, but if you stake it up to make a wall behind your fire it could reflect more heat towards you and your tent.

If you laid it down in front of the fire it would make a nice ground cover patio for the tent.

And, if you had it set up and a wind came up it would only take a few seconds to cover your fire, which is the intended purpose, and you could start it back up fast and easy if it was just a popup storm or a fast moving front blowing over, which is very common here.

Now they just need to make it under 8 ounces and $30 and I'm in!! laugh

"You want to go where?"

#197402 - 01/15/17 08:49 AM Re: Campfire Defender [Re: billstephenson]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
$250....yikes! I have a friend currently rigging his tent with a light weight stove. Basically a sled dog type rig, easily packable, well vented. It's not ultralight by any means but I'm wondering that if a warm tent is the goal, bringing the fire inside isn't the best way. As a Boy Scout, we made tent heaters from a soup can, some cardboard, and paraffin, which did the trick beautifully. The problem I've always had with campfires/tarps is wind change. And around here, it changes every 10 minutes. grin

#197410 - 01/15/17 08:43 PM Re: Campfire Defender [Re: Dryer]
billstephenson Offline

The price had me coughing a bit too. It does look like it's very well made though.

I can see it for hunting trips and car camping. I still haven't played enough with making a heater for my tent but I should do that. I'll have to snag a soup can and try it. I have a big slab of wax that would work just fine for that.

I remember you mentioning this a few years ago, but not exactly how you made them. Was it like these?

Edited by billstephenson (01/15/17 08:45 PM)

"You want to go where?"

#197412 - 01/15/17 09:59 PM Re: Campfire Defender [Re: billstephenson]
Dryer Offline

Yeah, it's easy. Corrugated cardboard, cut to about 2/3rds the height of the can. Tightly roll the cardboard and slide into the can, corrugation running vertically. Melt your wax and poor onto the cardboard, allowing it to soak up to about 1/2" from top of cardboard. The whole thing burns like a giant wick. You should see a blue flame settle on top of the cardboard.
You'll have to play with this a bit. If the cardboard is too close to the top of the can, it will flame up and become a fire hazard. To low, and it won't have enough oxygen to burn.
Also, when you blow it out, toss it out of the tent. You wouldn't believe how much smoke those things can make.

Make sure your tent has some ventilation so you don't asphyxiate yourself.

#197474 - 01/19/17 09:16 AM Re: Campfire Defender [Re: Dryer]
billstephenson Offline

Thank you!

I'll have to make one and try it out. I'm gonna have to scrounge for a can though. All of them now have a plastic coating in them. I might have to burn that off first if I can't find one without it, but I've got everything else I need!!

"You want to go where?"

#197517 - 01/24/17 11:03 PM Re: Campfire Defender [Re: billstephenson]
Dryer Offline

Don't worry....the plastic coating burns off pretty quick. grin

#199204 - 09/29/17 05:56 AM Re: Campfire Defender [Re: billstephenson]
BudgetBack Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By billstephenson
I was checking out Popular Mechanics " 2017 Best Outdoor Gear" piece and they have this Campfire Defender product that's pretty interesting.

It's not really "backpacking" gear, but could certainly be used in a group backpack if you did some load sharing.

The concept is sound and of course I looked at it with a view for how it would compliment my campfire tent. In the demo videos they lay the cover on the ground when the fire is burning, but if you stake it up to make a wall behind your fire it could reflect more heat towards you and your tent.

If you laid it down in front of the fire it would make a nice ground cover patio for the tent.

And, if you had it set up and a wind came up it would only take a few seconds to cover your fire, which is the intended purpose, and you could start it back up fast and easy if it was just a popup storm or a fast moving front blowing over, which is very common here.

Now they just need to make it under 8 ounces and $30 and I'm in!! laugh

I read Campfire Defender and for some reason I was thinking if spikes in the ground to protect your campfire from people trying to steal it. The reality makes much more sense.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum