Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185418 - 05/28/14 02:51 AM Flashlight/Headlamp output comparison
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Flashlight reviews

OK, this site reviews flashlights and headlamps and compares them to each other with big charts. You need to go to the Features menu then select the "throw and output" chart to compare output. For lumens you need to do some math, but they explain that as well. Lots of familiar brand name headlamps are on the list, which is good for hikers. Just came across it while checking that light Bill wrote about in the General Forum, but this guy was serious about flashlights.

NOTE: HE CLOSED THE SITE IN 2007, A LONG TIME AGO, BUT THE BASIC INFO HE HAS ABOUT FLASHLIGHTS IS STILL VALID. SOME OF THE MODELS IN HIS CHARTS MAY STILL BE AVAILABLE.

This one doesn't seem as review oriented, but more up to date with forums-
Candlepower

Edited by TomD (05/28/14 03:03 AM)

#185756 - 06/16/14 01:11 PM Re: Flashlight/Headlamp output comparison [Re: TomD]
Blue_Ridge_Ninja Offline

Loc: North Georgia
One of my backpacking buddies is a flashlight/headlamp fanatic. I believe he has around 3 dozen or so. Brings a different one on every trip.

#189521 - 03/05/15 11:50 AM Re: Flashlight/Headlamp output comparison [Re: Blue_Ridge_Ninja]
Southcove Offline

Loc: CT River Valley
I came back from a 4 night winter trek (heated tent) in the Adirondacks, where I finally met a guy who was more into flashlights than I am... Good stuff is surprisingly easy and cheap to buy. We used LED USB lights and battery packs at night and recharged one day w a folding solar panel..good stuff. The high end illumination gear is mostly to feed your ego at this point, IMHO. (unless you have a critical application)

#189525 - 03/05/15 01:43 PM Re: Flashlight/Headlamp output comparison [Re: Southcove]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
The excitement of 10+ years ago has faded but the advancement of LED and battery technology means everything today but utter junk is probably "good enough." Spare bulbs and big battery packs and thirty-minute run times are hazy memories, like the Boy Scout hatchet.

I got a good demonstration of how cheap an LED flashlight can be when I saw a ten-flashlight collection at Home Depot--several styles gathered in a clamshell pack. Total price, with batteries: ten bucks.

Now I look for clever control schemes that allow me to vary the output and the switch sequence (best is to turn on at lowest setting to preserve night vision). A red option and a beam spreader are also big plusses. My biggest breakthrough is having a headlamp I can recharge on the trail, giving me unlimited run time with no spares. That's one small area I don't need to improve.

cheers,

#189533 - 03/05/15 03:56 PM Re: Flashlight/Headlamp output comparison [Re: Rick_D]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Indeed. I bought a tiny imported four mode flashlight (3xAAA cell or single 18650 cell) for my son that's advertised at 1600 lumen for less than ten dollars - BATTERIES INCLUDED! Realistically, the brightness is probably way overstated, but even if it's only half that bright, it's still retina burningly bright.

#189535 - 03/05/15 04:13 PM Re: Flashlight/Headlamp output comparison [Re: 4evrplan]
AdventureMyk Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
For the last numerous years I've made do with a couple of Energizer branded* el-cheapo headlamps ($18ish) and so far I've done a whopping 3 battery replacements in them. THey seem to last forever but don't cast a lot of light.

I'm thinking of upgrading to the Fenix HP15 which has a remote battery pack but a heck of a lot more power and flexibility than what I have now. Mine are just getting old enough that the rubber switch cover is starting to wear thin, the angle adjuster isn't quite holding anymore, etc. 6+ years of frequent use (home, working on the car, camping, etc) for around $18? I think I got my 3 bucks a year out of them. I thought they were decent until I camped with some guys that had more recent ones. Granted, I don't need $150 headlamps like they have but a nice upgrade would not go astray.

The Fenix I'm looking at has a street price around $65 which isn't bad for the next many years.

http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMore.aspx?id=99&tid=13&cid=2#.VPjGmvnF9G0

* Probably a generic light just rebranded to each buyers wish

#189539 - 03/05/15 09:55 PM Re: Flashlight/Headlamp output comparison [Re: Rick_D]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
uh oh - what happened to the boy scout hatchet? Still got the sheath for my boy scout knife and the knife I made for it when I was 12.
Jim goodjob

#190354 - 04/24/15 05:57 PM Re: Flashlight/Headlamp output comparison [Re: TomD]
SurvivalDad Offline

What lumens is recommended for deep woods? I want to be able to see but not attract the world to my presence.

#190386 - 04/28/15 10:37 AM Re: Flashlight/Headlamp output comparison [Re: SurvivalDad]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By SurvivalDad
What lumens is recommended for deep woods? I want to be able to see but not attract the world to my presence.

I think the lowest lumens on a headlamp will be enough if you want to see the trail in front of you. More lumens means the battery won't last as long.

I've noticed Rayovac has headlamps on Amazon that take only one AAA battery. Next time, I'll look at one of those to save some weight.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum