Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146836 - 02/22/11 12:53 PM Sea to Summit Pocket Shower
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I was looking at sea to summit water proof gear bags on REI and came across a pocket shower. It weighs five ounces. Has anyone here ever tried one. It would sure would be nice to be able to rinse off good at the end of a day of hiking! I am sure sleeping bag would stay cleaner as well. I thought if it was big enough I could maybe use as a bear bag for food as well and make duel purpose? Any insight on this device would be appreciated!

#146850 - 02/22/11 03:15 PM Re: Sea to Summit Pocket Shower [Re: Kent W]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
If the color is dark or black, they heat up surprisingly fast. It could be nice to have a least a warm shower at the end of the day. Have used bags like this many times before, but only at the beach in Baja California. The water can get almost too hot on a summer day.

sk

#146871 - 02/23/11 01:02 AM Re: Sea to Summit Pocket Shower [Re: Kent W]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I didn't try this thing, although I tried to make one once.

It worked pretty good in the back yard where I could leave it out on a sunny day for a while.. my problem with it backpacking was that I typically wasn't stopped sitting around long enough for it to warm up. and by evening there wasn't enough strong sun.

So I gave up on my homemade (dark platy bag) one and just do what I usually do, which is either go for a dip in a creek, or if I'm cold but wanna get clean, use a little fuel and warm up a small pot of water for a sponge (aka spare sock) bath.

Browse my pictures

#146879 - 02/23/11 09:50 AM Re: Sea to Summit Pocket Shower [Re: phat]
Kent W Offline

Phat, it is a black bag and I ordered one. I am gonna try it out next month. I am gonna use for bear baggin at night. I will hang food in plastic turkey roaster bag when shower in use. I am only out about 4 days at a crack so I will forgo a bit extra fuel to heat a pot of water if need be. My little coleman exponent heats 1.5 qts in just over 2 min with windscreen. I will post how well it works after expermenting.

#146881 - 02/23/11 11:33 AM Re: Sea to Summit Pocket Shower [Re: Kent W]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I stick my feet in the creek on arrival at camp (and sometimes at my lunch stop) and sponge off critical body areas, using leftover lukewarm water in my cooking pot, in the tent at bedtime. Easier and definitely lighter than carrying a shower. I once had a shower gizmo and it was more of a nuisance than anything else. Areas private enough to use the thing are normally not in the sun!

Try out the thing, while you can still return it, in your bathtub at home to see if you can live with the slow trickle!

A gravity-style water filter can be used as a shower of sorts by removing the filter.

A bear canister, if you have to carry one anyway, makes a great tub for sponge baths and washing hair!

Edited by OregonMouse (02/23/11 05:31 PM)

#146903 - 02/24/11 09:45 AM Re: Sea to Summit Pocket Shower [Re: OregonMouse]
Kent W Offline

I stick my feet in the creek two! LOL I try to remember to fill water bottles first though!
Thats a good Idea , I will test it out and see if it is worth messin with. At the shelter on Silers Bald I am sure others will be around that night. I figure I could still shower in my spare hikingshorts. Maybe a waste of time, but it hadsome very good reveiws? Thanks for your insight!

#146951 - 02/25/11 09:49 AM Re: Sea to Summit Pocket Shower [Re: Kent W]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Hi, Kent and All-

I carry a 1 qt. Gatorade bottle as part of my normal "kit." In it I have water or cool tea/Emergen-C by day, and at night, if the temps warrant it, hot water to warm my feet. These bottles are rigid enought that as lon as the top is on properly, they don't leak.

A third use for this bottle can be a shower of sorts. Just drill/poke some holes in a spare cap or make a liner from a plastic coffee or other can lid. Works great as a sprinkler.

CamperMom

#146953 - 02/25/11 11:04 AM Re: Sea to Summit Pocket Shower [Re: CamperMom]
Kent W Offline

Folks the camp shower arived to day from REI. I have to say after filling with water and hangingin the shower to test. I a favorably impressed! The water comes out About the same as my green shower head at home. didnt seem to leak at all. Holds 11 liters and will take place of my camp water bag for chores etc.
Also will hang food bag in it at night! I dont normally go for gadgets due to weight, but a couple extra ounces to shower off after a long hike? To me it is a keeper!

Edited by Kent W (02/25/11 11:12 AM)

#146959 - 02/25/11 01:24 PM Re: Sea to Summit Pocket Shower [Re: Kent W]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I had one of their older versions and literally wore it out. Since made another from a plastic jug. I never hiked with it, but instead, left it on top of the van to get hot upon my hike return. Found that if you lay it on something that insulates, it will heat faster.

#147336 - 03/03/11 09:58 PM Re: Sea to Summit Pocket Shower [Re: Dryer]
JollyRogers Offline

Loc: Iowa
I got in the habit of "field showers" also known as "whores baths" in the military. Back then we used an empty ammo can and used it to wet our wash cloths with and sponge off. If you were lucky you could heat up the ammo can in a fire, but that was rare. The only times we got showers were when it rained. Heck, I was at one place where the only shower you got was being hit by a fire hose every 10 days.

When backpacking I carry a folding bucket that I use as my camp sink and wash basin. Not to mention hauling water for the gravity filter. Never really considered a camp shower as I never saw more than 1 purpose for it and I didn't think they looked very durable. Either I use bio-degradable wet wipes, dip in the stream or field shower.

#147348 - 03/04/11 10:56 AM Re: Sea to Summit Pocket Shower [Re: phat]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
Originally Posted By phat

It worked pretty good in the back yard where I could leave it out on a sunny day for a while.. my problem with it backpacking was that I typically wasn't stopped sitting around long enough for it to warm up. and by evening there wasn't enough strong sun.

Keep in mind kent you will most likely have more success than Kent due to latitude differences. Sun is always lower the farther north you go.

#147377 - 03/04/11 06:44 PM Re: Sea to Summit Pocket Shower [Re: GDeadphans]
Kent W Offline

Yep I will let you know when I return. If I have to carry a couple ounces of extra fuel to heat water and be clean? Looks like a win win situation to me!

#147626 - 03/10/11 08:57 PM Re: Sea to Summit Pocket Shower [Re: JollyRogers]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
A quick dip in any water, even very cold water, is the way I wash. The key is to go in exactly the minute you stop at the campsite - before you cool down and before the skeeters find you. Typical character-building bath conditions on one of my high altitude treks, shown below, featuring my crazy old friend.

#147632 - 03/10/11 09:34 PM Re: Sea to Summit Pocket Shower [Re: wandering_daisy]
Kent W Offline

LOL, While I do respect your opinion! I am still gonna give a pocket shower a try! That is hard core! How do you get warm afterward. I have taken ice cold showers and jumped in 40 degree water to go water sking on a fluke warm March day. But DAng!

#148497 - 03/27/11 09:56 PM Re: Sea to Summit Pocket Shower [Re: Kent W]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
A guy I hiked with has one.
To better understand why, you need to know that he takes a 20-30 min (timed...) hot showers at home or as in our case at the hostel.
He loved it. He started by boiling up some water whilst waiting for the bag to pick up some heat. About half an hour later he was ready.
By then I had my tent up,washed myself (sponge bath) got changed into my night clothes prepared dinner and about to start or having started eating..
But whatever works for you.
Franco

#148504 - 03/27/11 11:46 PM Re: Sea to Summit Pocket Shower [Re: Kent W]
lori Offline

I have the Amigo Pro which doubles as a shower, if you pull out the filter and put the shower head in the hose end. Hang it in a tree like a bear bag, shower away.

Then I lost the shower head... but emailed ULA and Chris thinks he still has a box of them somewhere! my future as a clean hiker restored.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#148518 - 03/28/11 09:35 AM Re: Sea to Summit Pocket Shower [Re: lori]
Kent W Offline

What can I say I like to be clean. I will let ya know my thoughts after I carry it all next week. Franco , If I was trying to pull big miles , I most likley wouldnt have time to mess with it. I normally break camp bye 7 am and on the trail. I should be in camp depending on terrain bye 2:00 PM. I will have lots of time to heat water if need be. Time will tell one week from today and I will be on the road to Gatlinburg!

#148646 - 03/30/11 11:24 PM Re: Sea to Summit Pocket Shower [Re: JollyRogers]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Come on you guys! End of day before you cool down, quickly jump into the lake or creek, even if it has ice. You will feel so good! Once you get used to cold dips, you will really like them. If air temps are cold or if it is windy, having water slowly trickle over me sounds like torture. I solar warm water by putting my platypus on top of my black gaiter, but this is to pre-warm cooking water to save fuel, not for baths.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum